Official US 2010 Census Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:33:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Official US 2010 Census Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26
Author Topic: Official US 2010 Census Results  (Read 227732 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

A simple keyed to 2000 map. I'm working on the other as we speak though, it will take a bit longer of course.
RBH

« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »

More random numbers

for those wondering about Forest County.. 18% of the population is now African-American with 1243 of 1389 African Americans in Marienville. The Jenks Township population went from 1261 to 3629.

In case there was any doubt about the prison altering things there

Reading went from 37% Hispanic to 58% Hispanic.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #402 on: March 10, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »

A simple keyed to 2000 map. I'm working on the other as we speak though, it will take a bit longer of course.

Do you have just California?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:55 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2011, 04:43:26 AM by cinyc »

Some Connecticut town maps, since I've done them in the past and have kept some 2000 data.  All use the Atlas swing color scale (Redder is an increase; Bluer is a decrease.  Something close to 0 usually ends up light blue).

First, overall town population change from 2000:

Winners: much of the Naugatuck Valley and parts of Eastern CT.  Losers: Towns on the New York State Line, especially in Northeastern CT.

Next, what I call white flight - I didn't due this in absolute population gain or loss yet because I'd have to re-do my 2000 spreadsheets.  Instead, I calculated percent change in the non-Hispanic White population - i.e. (town non-Hispanic White percentage in 2010) minus (town non-Hispanic White percentage in 2000):

As I said, the light blue towns were generally flat.  The biggest decreases were in some of the larger cities and their suburbs, especially areas of suburban Hartford.

A lot of the change, naturally, was due to an influx of Hispanics, as you can see here:

Though, some was due to an increase in the relative percentage of non-Hispanic African-Americans, too, especially in the Hartford area:

Asians, for the heck of it.  

Most relative percent increases were tiny - less than 5 points - except in Norwich and Rocky Hill.  I'm sure this map would be more impressive in percentage increase terms.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #404 on: March 10, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2011, 05:29:35 PM by cinyc »

Arizona, Idaho and Wisconsin have been released:

Arizona
Arizona experienced rapid growth last decade (+24.6%).  In percentage terms, no county grew faster than Pinal (SW Phoenix Exburbs/maybe a few N Tucson exuburbs), whose population more than doubled (+109.1%).  In absolute terms, Maricopa County (Phoenix) picked up almost 745,000 new residents, growing almost as fast as the state as a whole (+24.2%).  59% of the state's new residents were in Maracopa.  Other big gainers were Mohave, home to cities like Kingman, Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City near or on the California/Nevada border (+29.1%), Yavapai County, north of Maricopa (Prescott; +26.0%), Santa Cruz County, a Mexican border county south of Tucson's county of Pima (Nogales +23.6%) and Yuma County (+22.3%).  Pima (Tucson) picked up the third-most residents, but only grew by 16.2%.  Tiny Greenlee County on the New Mexico border lost 1.3% of its residents.

Some of the city growth numbers are phenomenal.  The city of Maricopa, a Phoenix exurb nestled between two Indian reservations in Pinal County, grew by 4,081.0%.  No, that's not a typo.  Bristol Palin is in good company.   By comparison, the west valley town of Buckeye, Maricopa County "only" grew by 678.3%.  Other west-suburban Phoenix stragglers like Surprise (+281.0%), Goodyear (+245.2%) and Avondale (+112.5%) also experienced triple-digit growth.  Casa Grande, Pinal County (+92.6%) and Gilbert in Southeast Maricopa (+90.0%) were other fast-growers.  Gilbert picked up more residents (almost 99,000) than all Arizona cities but Phoenix (+9.4%; almost 125,000 new residents).  Tucson grew by 6.9%.  

One caveat - without further analysis, we can't tell how much of any growth was due to annexation versus gains in the municipality as it existed in 2000.

Arizona's non-Hispanic White population grew by 12.9%.  Its Hispanic population increased by 46.3%.  Hispanics now make up 29.6% of the state's population, up from 25.3%.

Idaho
Idaho grew by 21.1%.  Most of the growth was in the Boise area and near Idaho Falls, with some additional growth in counties near or including Twin Falls and Spokane, Washington.  The fastest-growing county was Teton (+69.5%), on the other side of Teton Pass from Jackson, Wyoming - but its still not one of the state's top 20 counties.  Among the top 20, Canyon (+43.7%), west of Boise, grew fastest, followed by Madison (+36.7%) and Jefferson (+36.5%), both North of Idaho Falls; +36.7%),  Ada (Boise; +30.4%), Kootenai (Spokane suburbs/Coeur d'Alene; +27.4%), and Bonneville (Idaho Falls; +26.3%).  Jerome (+22.0%) and Twin Falls Counties (+20.1%), both in the Twin Falls area, grew at around the same rate as the state.  Among the top 20 counties, Elmore, immediately east of Ada (Mountain Home; -7.2%) and Minidoka, in between Twin Falls and Pocatello (-0.5%) lost population.

On the municipal level, many of the biggest percentage gainers were Boise suburbs - Kuna (+182.6%) and Meridian's (+115.0%) population doubled, while Caldwell (+78.1%) and  Nampa (+57.2%) also posted impressive gains.  In the Idaho Falls area, Ammon's population more than doubled (+123.3%), and Rexburg, Madison County posted a 47.7% gain.  Post Falls (+59.9%), Hayden (+45.1%) and Coeur d'Alene (27.9%) in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area also grew.   And the Pocatello suburb of Chubbuck (+43.5%) grew faster than the state.   Meriden picked up the most new residents (just over 40,000), followed by Nampa (almost 30,000), Caldwell (just over 20,000) and Boise (just under 20,000; +10.7%).

Idaho's non-Hispanic White population grew by 15.5%.  Its non-Hispanic plack population almost doubled (+81.5%) - though there are still fewer non-Hispanic blacks in Idaho than Hispanics, non-Hispanic Asians or non-Hispanic American Indians.  Idaho's Hispanic population grew by 73.0%, non-Hispanic Asians by 59.2% and non-Hispanic American Indians by 11.2%.  

Wisconsin
Wisconsin grew by 6.0% - far less rapidly than Arizona or Idaho.  Fast-growth was the exception, not the norm.  In percentage terms, St. Croix, a growing exurban county in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area, grew fastest of the top 20 counties (+33.6%).  Nothing else came close.  Dane (Madison) grew by 14.4%, picking up the most new residents (around 65,500).  Three suburban/exurban Milwaukee-area counties came next - Jefferson (+13.1%), Washington (+12.3%) and Kenosha (+11.3%).  No other major county grew by more than 10%.  In absolute terms, Milwaukee-suburban Waukesha County (+8.1%) picked up nearly 30,000 new residents, while St. Croix County and Green Bay's Brown County (+9.4%) picked up over 21,000.  Milwaukee County only grew by 0.8%, gaining just over 7,500 new residents.  Unlike some more sparsely-populated counties primarily in northeastern Wisconsin, none of Wisconsin's top 20 counties lost population.

Among the top-20 cities, only Madison (+12.1%) experienced a double-digit gain.  Kenosha (+9.8%) and Waukesha (+9.1%) in the Milwaukee area, Janesville (+6.9%) in southern Wisconsin and Eau Claire (+6.9%) in western Wisconsin grew faster than the state as whole.  The city of Milwaukee lost 0.4% of its population.  Other losers include Milwaukee-area Racine (-3.7%), the lake Michigan city of Sheboygan (-3.0%), Milwaukee County-suburban Brookfield (-1.9%), Wauwatosa (-1.9%) and West Allis (-1.4%) and  La Crosse (-1.0%) on the Minnesota border in the southeastern part of the state.

Wisconsin's non-Hispanic white population increased by 1.2%.  Its Hispanic population exploded by 74.2% - but Hispanics still remain under 6% of the state's population.  Wisconsin's non-Hispanic Asian population increased by 45.5%, non-Hispanic blacks by 16.9% and non-Hispanic American Indians by 10.3%.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #405 on: March 10, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »

You can see the development of Maricopa, AZ (the town) in Google Satellite views by backing out or in of zoom, one step at a time. At some point the image changes and you either gain or lose most of the housing.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #406 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03:03 PM »

Next week: Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota and Tennessee.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

Wisconsin seems to be holding people rather better than similar areas in neighbouring states, both comparing the rural southwest to rural Iowa and Illinois, and Milwaukee to other Great Lakes industrial cities.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »

Wisconsin seems to be holding people rather better than similar areas in neighbouring states, both comparing the rural southwest to rural Iowa and Illinois, and Milwaukee to other Great Lakes industrial cities.

Milwaukee lost a little bit of its population, but, yes, it was no Cleveland.   Of the Great Lakes states, Wisconsin might be the least dependent on manufacturing - that's my sense of the state, though I don't know if there's data to actually back up my impression.

I can't wait to see how much population Detroit lost.  But it appears that we will have to wait yet another week for Michigan, New York, West Virginia, South Carolina and four New England states (Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island).  Those 8 states will be all that is left after next week's releases.  Every state west of or on the Mississippi River will have been released.  I think we might get DC and Puerto Rico at some point before April 1, too, most likely last.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

Milwaukee lost a little bit of its population, but, yes, it was no Cleveland.   Of the Great Lakes states, Wisconsin might be the least dependent on manufacturing - that's my sense of the state, though I don't know if there's data to actually back up my impression.

Actually Wisconsin is second in the nation by % of adults employed in manufacturing. But Milwaukee's flagship industry is less vulnerable to the replacement of workers by machines because, well, it is the replacement of workers by machines.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »

Next week: Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota and Tennessee.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »

Actually Wisconsin is second in the nation by % of adults employed in manufacturing. But Milwaukee's flagship industry is less vulnerable to the replacement of workers by machines because, well, it is the replacement of workers by machines.

Yeah, maybe not.  I would have expected Ohio to rank higher.  For whatever reason, traveling through Wisconsin doesn't seem to give the same depressing feeling you get traveling through Upstate New York, Northern Ohio or Michigan.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »

Yeah, maybe not.  I would have expected Ohio to rank higher.  For whatever reason, traveling through Wisconsin doesn't seem to give the same depressing feeling you get traveling through Upstate New York, Northern Ohio or Michigan.

That's because they have beer to dull the pain.
Kevinstat

« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 09:06:45 PM by Kevinstat »

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

Yeah, and Montana won't do Legislative redistricting until after the 2012 elections, and has only one congressional district.  Interestingly enough, it would do congressional redistricting before the 2012 elections if it had more than one district.  (I've read it didn't redraw its congressional districts after the 1980 census until after the 1982 elections, but there was a constitutional amendment moving the congressional redistricting to before the '2' year elections in 1984, only to see the state drop to one congressional district in the next apportionment and not seeming likely to regain its second district anytime soon, making the change in the timing of congressional redistricting moot.  I don't think Montana would have been allowed to keep it's second district until 1994 on the grounds that it wasn't time for them to redistrict yet - yeah I know for a fact that they wouldn't have but it's funny to think about).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:44 AM »

That's because it's dependent on manufacturing - as opposed to an ex-manufacturing area now depending on services and welfare.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

Alaska, Montana and New Mexico have shipped to legislators.  Montana and New Mexico are expected to be released at 2PM Eastern tomorrow.  Due to time zone differences, we'll likely have to wait until 2PM Wednesday for Alaska.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #416 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:44 AM »

Three states I was really looking forward to! Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: March 15, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2011, 02:41:57 PM by cinyc »

Montana and New Mexico were released today:

Montana
Eastern Montana generally lost population, while Western Montana gained.  On the county level, Gallatin (Bozeman) grew at the fastest rate of the top 20 counties, 32.0%.  It also picked up the most new residents, over 20,000.   Flathead (Kalispell/Whitehead/Part of Glacier National Park; +22.1%) was next, followed by Yellowstone (Billings; +14.4%), Missoula (+14.1%), Lewis and Clark (Helena; +13.8%), and Jefferson (South suburbs of Helena; +13.5%).   Sanders County (+11.6%),  west of Missoula on the Idaho border and home to part of the Flathead Indian Reservation, and Rivalli (Hamilton; +11.5%), south of Missoula along the Bitterroot Valey near the Idaho border, also grew faster than the state as a whole (+9.7%).

Among the top 20 counties, Hill (Havre/Canadian border;-3.5%), Fergus (Lewistown; -2.6%), Roosevelt (Culbertson/Fort Peck Indian Reservation; 1.8%), Silver Bow (Butte; -1.2%) and Park (Livingston/Part of Yellowstone NP; -0.4%) lost population.

Billings (+15.9%) remains the largest city in the state, with a population exceeding 100,000 for the first time in its history.  It picked up the most new residents, over 14,000.  The resort town of Kalispell (+40.1%) grew fastest among the top 20, followed by Bozeman (+35.5%), the Bozeman suburb of Belgrade (+29.0%), and two of Kalispell's Flathead Valley neighbors, Columbia Falls (+28.6%) and Whitefish (+26.3).  Missoula grew by 17.1%.  The state capital of Helena grew by 9.3%.  Sidney (8.7%), Glendive (+4.4%) Great Falls (+3.2%) and Livingston (+2.8%) grew slower than the state as a whole.  Havre (-3.2%), near the Canadian border,  Anaconda-Deer Lodge (-1.3%) near Butte ,Butte-Silver Bow (-1.2%) itself, and Miles City (-0.9%) in eastern Montana all lost population.

Montana's non-Hispanic White population grew by 7.5%.  Its Hispanic population increased by 58.0% to 2.9% of the population.  Montana's non-Hispanic African American population increased by 47.7% and non-Hispanic Asian population by 34.3% - but to just 0.4% and 0.6% of the population, respectively.  Montana's non-Hispanic American Indian population increased by 10.1% to 6.1%.

New Mexico
In general, New Mexico's fastest growth was in the Albuquerque-Santa Fe area, the Las Cruces-El Paso area, Farmington area and near the Texas border.  Other counties were flat or even lost population.

The fastest-growing county was Sandoval (+46.3%), immediately north of Albuquerque.  It picked up more residents than any county but Bernalillo (Albuquerque; +19.0%).  Bernalillo gained over 105,000 residents in the past decade - more than live in all but 5 counties in the state.  Other fast-growing counties include Las Cruces (19.8%), north of El Paso, Lea (Hobbs; +16.6%), on the Texas border, Valencia (+15.7%), immediately south of Albuquerque's county, and San Juan (Farmington; +14.3%), in the Northwest corner of the state.  Santa Fe (+11.5%) and Roosevelt (Portales/Texas border; +10.1%) Counties also experienced double-digit growth, but grew more slowly than the state as a whole (+13.2%).

Many of the fastest-growing municipalities were Albuquerque suburbs.  Rio Rancho in Sandoval County grew by 69.1%.  South suburban Los Lunas village grew by 47.8%  And Albuquerque itself grew by 21.7%, picking up more new residents than live in any other municipality but Las Cruces.  Other growth areas included market towns in the rest of the state: Las Cruces (+31.4%), Farmington (+21.2%), Hobbs (+19.1%), Lovington (near Hobbs; +16.2%) and Clovis (+15.6%).  Santa Fe (+9.2%), Gallup (+7.3%), Roswell (+6.8%) and Carlsbad (+2.0%) grew more slowly than the rest of the state, as did El Paso-suburban Sunland Park (+6.0%).  Alamagordo (-14.6%), Las Vegas (-5.6%) and Silver City (-2.2%) lost population.

New Mexico has become plurality Hispanic.  46.3% of residents are Hispanic.  40.5% are non-Hispanic White.  8.5% are non-Hispanic American Indian.  The non-Hispanic White population increased by 2.5%.  The Hispanic population grew by 24.6%.  Non-Hispanic American Indians were up by 8.6%.  The Non-Hispanic Asian (+44.1%) and Non-Hispanic Black (+15.7%) populations grew faster than the state as a whole, but their numbers are still small - each under 2%.

Alaska shipped yesterday and will be released tomorrow.  There's no word yet on which states (if any) shipped today.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »

Minnesota, North Dakota and Tennessee shipped today.  Those three states and Alaska should be released at 2PM Eastern tomorrow.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »

The resort town of Kalispell (+40.1%) grew fastest among the top 20, followed by Bozeman (+35.5%), the Bozeman suburb of Belgrade (+29.0%), and two of Kalispell's Flathead Valley neighbors, Columbia Falls (+28.6%) and Whitefish (+26.3).

Great write up, but Kalispell isn't a resort town.  Kalispell is the regional hub of NW Montana.  Whitefish 15 miles north is the major resort town of the area.  Lakeside and Bigfork on the Great Flathead Lake 15-20 miles south are smaller resort towns.  Columbia Falls, despite being the closest major city to Glacier N.P. is an industrial town built around lumber mills and an aluminum plant.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #420 on: March 15, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2011, 04:46:33 PM by cinyc »

The resort town of Kalispell (+40.1%) grew fastest among the top 20, followed by Bozeman (+35.5%), the Bozeman suburb of Belgrade (+29.0%), and two of Kalispell's Flathead Valley neighbors, Columbia Falls (+28.6%) and Whitefish (+26.3).

Great write up, but Kalispell isn't a resort town.  Kalispell is the regional hub of NW Montana.  Whitefish 15 miles north is the major resort town of the area.  Lakeside and Bigfork on the Great Flathead Lake 15-20 miles south are smaller resort towns.  Columbia Falls, despite being the closest major city to Glacier N.P. is an industrial town built around lumber mills and an aluminum plant.

I tend to view the whole of Flathead County as a resort area.  Yes, Whitefish is closer to the major ski resort and probably has better quality lodging, but Kalispell has a fair number of hotels and motels in its own right and a number of golf courses, plus is closer to Flathead Lake.  I wouldn't doubt that Kalispell is more diverse economically.  The Columbia Falls area seems to be spawning a bunch of tourism-related attractions and businesses, too, though perhaps not within city limits.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #421 on: March 15, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »

I am sure the adjacent resort areas bring a lot of money into the area, but few would confuse Kalispell with a resort town.   It's the hub city that supports the nearby resort and resource industrial towns.   Hospital, "mall," community college, Costco, etc.   Calling Kalispell a resort town would be like calling Wenatchee a resort town because it is 20 miles away from Mission Ridge, Entiat, and Leavenworth.   Over the last decade, growth related industries (construction, real estate) were probably a more important driver of the economy than tourism.   A lot of people are relocating to the area.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #422 on: March 15, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »

New Mexico has become plurality Hispanic.  46.3% of residents are Hispanic.  40.5% are non-Hispanic White.  8.5% are non-Hispanic American Indian.  The non-Hispanic White population increased by 2.5%.  The Hispanic population grew by 24.6%.  Non-Hispanic American Indians were up by 8.6%.  The Non-Hispanic Asian (+44.1%) and Non-Hispanic Black (+15.7%) populations grew faster than the state as a whole, but their numbers are still small - each under 2%.

I wonder if this means that Whites are now a protected minority under the VRA section 5 (or 2 two, whichever governs Redistricting).  Not that it really matters, as drawing 3 "fair" districts (1 in Albuquerque, 1 in North New Mexico, and 1 in Southern New Mexico) yields districts with approximately the same demographics (with the main difference being the northern one having a significant native population and correspondingly less whites).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #423 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »

New Mexico

New Mexico has become plurality Hispanic.  46.3% of residents are Hispanic.  40.5% are non-Hispanic White.  8.5% are non-Hispanic American Indian.  The non-Hispanic White population increased by 2.5%.  The Hispanic population grew by 24.6%.
Entertainingly, the non-white Hispanic share also fell, as 60% of the state's Hispanic population also identified as White, up from 52% in 2000.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #424 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:58 AM »

Anybody know why Alamogordo's population fell? Cuts at the air force base?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies