A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289658 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2011, 03:22:08 PM by Cathcon »

Scratch that. There may be a couple more updates before the mid-terms. It depends on when I decide for a certain event to happen. I'll have to talk to some people. Between now (mid/late 1974) and the end of 1975, two major foreign policy events will happen.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »

August 20th, 1974
President Bush Reveals Trip to China!
Only two months into his office, two months filled with a flurry of activity including cabinet re-organization and the passage of two new economic bills meant to tighten the deficit, President Bush has announced plans to visit Red China. According to Whitehouse leaks, this was first suggested to President Agnew by Secretary of State Rockefeller, former President Nixon, and then-Assistant Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. Now, reportedly, those three have convinced Bush to take the steps that Agnew would never take. He is scheduled to leave in early September, and to return one week from then. Voices came in protest from the Right and the Left who have claimed that the United States should never recognize Red China. Whitehouse Communications Director Patrick J Buchanan has found himself in a tight spot when taking attacks from a Conservative newspaper yesterday.

President Bush announcing plans to visit China early yesterday
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

Choosing to visit Red China upset many Conservatives, including Senator Ronald Reagan of California and former Secretary of Defense Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Conservative cabinet members, including Ambassador to the United Nations William F Buckley announced that they would be leaving the administration come 1975. Many began floating the idea of Senator Reagan or some other Conservative, such as Senator James Buckley of New York running in the primaries in 1976.
     Economically, things continued to take a turn for the worst, despite cost cutting measures. Economic advisor, Conservative Alan Greenspan who had worked for Ford and then Tower, had basically summed it up to one generally accepted principal: Deficits caused inflation. Going on this, he recommended, against his own instincts, a tax increase, saying that with an end to inflation, the rest would follow. Tower, despite being a known Conservative, trusted Greenspan and brought it to Presidents Bush.

-The Age of Many and the Failed Conservative Counter-Revolution; A History 1974-2008, Sean Wilentz. (c) 2008

We thought that the trip to China would be good for George. I, as his best friend in the Senate, stood by him as Conservatives on both sides of the aisle protested. I thought that the trip would allow George to make major foreign policy accomplishments and allow the public's focus to shift to foreign events. While george asked me to accompany him on the trip to China, I declined saying that i woudl have to defend his back in Congress while he was away.
-What the Man was Made of, James Baker, (c) 1999
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »

nice update, cathcon... but I think the new cabinate won't work for bush =). Bush / Ford hahahaha... the two last republican presidents who couldn't survive a democrat challenger haha...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »

nice update, cathcon... but I think the new cabinate won't work for bush =). Bush / Ford hahahaha... the two last republican presidents who couldn't survive a democrat challenger haha...

If not Ford, I most likely would've had Bob Dole be the Vice-President, but I didn't think his political career should end just yet. Ford, being in the twilight of his career, seemed a good choice. Also, Ford will not be on the 1976 ticket.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

Ultimately, the trip to China was successful. Within three months, America was working on human rights and missile limitation treaties with both sides. However, all was not well as of the moment George and his crew returned, the mid-terms were in two months and Republicans were looking at huge lossed. It was expected of course. The delicate contrl of the Senate the Republican Party had for the last four years were obviously going to come to an end, not just because of Agnew, but because of the economy as well as the fact that it was an off-term election. Everybody in the Whitehouse knew that if the Republicans took big enough losses in November, George would face a serious challenger claiming that the moderate wing was destroying the Republican Party. Reagan, who was the Conservative leader of Congress, was our biggest concern. However, he was up for re-election in 1976 and we didn't know how willing he'd be to give up his Senate seat. However, there were others, such as former Secretary of Defense Barry Goldwater, former Attorney General John Ashbrook, New Hampshire Governor Meldrim Thompson Jr., and New York Senator James L Buckley. Everybody in and out of the Whitehouse knew the next two years would be a bumpy ride.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »

Hopefully I can get the 1974 mid-terms up soon, so I can end this year, but it turns out I have a rough draft of a paper due on Tuesday, and I have no time on Monday. Plus, I got math, which I hate and is getting worse, so I don't know how much I'll be able to do.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 03:22:28 PM by Cathcon (Feudalist-Michigan) »

November 5th, 1974
The 1974 Mid-Term Elections
With the mid-term elections, and the natural swing of things, Democrats take control of the Senate with 56 seats, a total of nine pick-ups, an astounding number. This in large part was caused by a bad economy, the resignation and further prosecution of a scandal ridden former President, and Republican dis-unity. This, coupled with a large amount of campaigning by Senator Robert F Kennedy (D-MA) was enough to give Democrats narrow wins in several states.

Dark Blue-Republican Hold
Dark Red-Democratic Hold
Light Red-Democratic gain

Senate Balance of Power:
Democrats-56
Republicans-42
Conservative-1
Independent-1

Notable Senate Races
1. Arizona: Senator Paul Fannin is re-elected by a large amount. He was first elected in 1968.
2. California: California Secretary of State Jerry Brown is elected to the Senate in a seat that his father was elected to six years earlier.
3. Colorado: Former Ambassador to the United Nations Gary Hart is elected to Congress.
4. Kansas: One term Senator Bob Dole is defeated for re-election.
5. Nevada: Lieutenant Governor Harry Reid is elected to the Senate.
6. New York: Senator Jacob Javitts is defeated for re-election by a narrow margin. He was one of the few who believed that Agnew was innocent until proven guilty, and he has received his reward from the people of New York.

Notable Gubernatorial Races
1. California: Governor Charlton Heston and Lieutenant Governor Jerry Brown are both re-elected.
2. New York: Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, who also served as Ambassador to India for a short time in the Agnew Administration, Daniel Patrick Moynihan is elected Governor.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^^
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »

From what I read, he only won in a close margin in real life. Don't worry, he'll be back.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »

After the disastrous mid-term elections, George felt he had to regain focus. With his strong point and his main interest being in foreign policy, he focused on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East. While the Munich Massacre certainly hadn't started the conflict, it had been a huge indicator of the clonflict, and had helped to raise tensions. After the Munich Massacre, Agnew had taken to having the United States onenly back retribution efforts by Israel. However, George decided to seek a more peaceful solution. He proposed a two-state solution. He decided to send Envoy Henry M Jackson down to Israel to meet with the leaders there. While Jackson was uncomfortable with the idea of not openly backing Israel he agreed to do it. God knows what trouble he, and the rest of the world would get in.

December 19th, 1974
Special Envoy Henry M Jackson Killed in Explosion!
Earlier today, Henry M Jackson, a man who has had the honor of serving as Secretary of State and National Security Adviser, who had been appointed Special Envoy to Palestine by President Bush, was killed in an explosion while traveling to meet with Palestinian leaders. This has not been the first act of agression by Palestine against other countries, but President Bush has sworn to try to make it the last. In a very emotional speech given this afternoon, he has denounced the actions of Palestine, given his condolences to both the Jackson family and the country at large, and has asked Congress for a declaration of war against Palestine.

December 20th, 1974
The Obituary of Henry M Jackson
May 31st, 1912-December 19th, 1974
Member of the United States House of Representatives from Washington's 2nd District January 3, 1941-January 3, 1953
Senator from Washington State January 3, 1953- January 23, 1965
Chairman of the Democratic National Committee 1960-1961
United States Secretary of State January 23, 1965-January 20, 1973
United States National Security Adviser January 28, 1973-August 1, 1974
Special Envoy to Palestine August 9, 1974-December 19, 1974
Born in Everett, Washington to Peter and Marine Jackson, "Scoop's" political career started in 1938 when he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Snohomish County, Washington. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1940, and was elected to the Senate in 1953, a year of backlash against Democrats. In the Senate he gained a reputation as a 'New Deal Democrat' who was supportive of Democratic economic policies as well as a strong foreign policy. In 1965 with the election of Massachusetts Senator John F Kennedy, Scoop was chosen to be Secretary of State, and in 1973 after the election of Spiro T Agnew, he became the National Security Adviser. However, with President Bush taking the reigns of power in 1974, he was appointed Special Envoy to Palestine. On a diplomatic mission to the very country he was appointed to visit, he was killed in a horrible explosion that many suspect to have been planned by the Palestine Liberation Front. He will be survived by his wife Helen Jackson, as well as his two children Anna Marie and Peter.

The war against Palestine would be brutal. We knew that. It would be bloody. We knew that. It would be fierce. We knew that. However, we also knew of a duty to Americans who lost their lives in the service of our country, and Scoop Jackson was certainly one of them, having worked to defend the United States against the threat of communism during his political career. We knew that his death could not go un-acknowledged and George was not going to let the memory of Henry M Jackson down like that. With a formal declaration of war from Congress, American troops touched down in Palestine in March of 1975.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #361 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »

I like this timeline. Keep it up! Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »

Thank you!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »

Gee. This is a much more neo-conservative 60s and 70s. In the late 70s, we will have to deal with Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq and Central America. Wonder how that will go.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #364 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »

Gee. This is a much more neo-conservative 60s and 70s. In the late 70s, we will have to deal with Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq and Central America. Wonder how that will go.

I generally decided that the 1970's should become one of the worst decades in recent history, whether in the economy or in foreign policy. I decided a war against Palestine could be just the thing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

I generally decided that the 1970's should become one of the worst decades in recent history, whether in the economy or in foreign policy. I decided a war against Palestine could be just the thing.

Besides the 2000s, weren't the 1970s the worst decade in recent history since the 1930s iotl?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »

Besides the 2000s, weren't the 1970s the worst decade in recent history since the 1930s iotl?

Well, I'm making 'em worse.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »

From what I read, he only won in a close margin in real life. Don't worry, he'll be back.

It was close in RL just due to Watergate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

It was close in RL just due to Watergate.

Since the Republicans (unrealistically) controlled the Senate for four years, I figured that it was time for some serious backlash.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

I'm thinking of doing 1975 in just a couple big posts, then getting to 1976 and the election.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »

Okay, I'm not too sure about the next post, but I feel the need to advance the story, so here goes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »

With the invasion of Palestine in 1975, a political and military firestorm was set off. President Bush's rationalization for taking out the Palestinian government was that it showed no attempted to hinder the actions of the terrorists in the Munich Massacre in 1972 and had taken no steps twoards finding the assassin(s) of Envoy Henry M Jackson. This, in his mind and in the minds of other members of the National Security Council, was sound reasoning. While Liberals as well as some Republicans such as Senator Robert Taft Jr. opposed the war, it was approved by a vast majority of the American people and by a majority of Congress despite the Democrat-controlled Senate.
However, in taking out the government of Palestine, which was soundly accomplished in May, a whole new problem was opened up. That was the problem of replacing the existing government. While American soldiers were trying to hunt down guerilla forces that had lasted after the fall of the government, the United States State Department was searching for an interim ruler to have head the government that it hoped to create.
A wise decision was made by Secretary of Defense John Eisenhower. While it had been suggested to him by some that he have the Palestinian military disbanded, Eisenhower resisted that call, saying that it would be too hard to completely rebuild a military.
Finding an interim ruler proved to be one of the hardest jobs for Rockefeller’s State Department as there were very few, if any pro-American Palestinians who had the capacity for ruling a country at war and the respect to keep that country together.
One member of the State Department suggested that Bush simply hand responsibility of Palestine off to the United Nations rather than keep the United States mired in war.
While the search for a suitable interim leader continued, American deaths continued to pile up in one of the fastest escalated and bloodiest wars that America had experienced in a long time.
On the home front, the economy continued to deteriorate while barely anything was accomplished with a completely Democrat controlled Congress. By November 1975, President Bush’s approval ratings stood at 47% and that was when New Hampshire Governor Meldrim Thompson Jr. announced his bid for the Republican nomination.

-The American President, Kathryn Moore, 2008

November 17th, 1975
Senator Robert F Kennedy (D-MA) walks down the streets of a small Iowa town campaigning for President. As he walks, reporters hound him as usual…
    Kennedy: (shaking hand of near-by potential voter) Hello! I’m Senator Bobby Kennedy!
    RandomDude: Wow, Mr. Kennedy! This is an honor!
    Reporter1: Senator Kennedy!
    Reporter2: Over here Mr. Kennedy!
    Reporter3: Mr. Kennedy, when will your brother, former President John F Kennedy formally endorse you?
    Reporter1: How does you brother, Senator Ted Kennedy feel about this?
    Kennedy: My family is just fine, thank you. And believe me, Teddy is perfectly okay with this.
    Reporter4: What do you plan to make as a central theme of your campaign, sir?
Kennedy: The economy, President Bush’s obvious lack of attention on it, this ill-conducted war, and the obvious scandals that have taken place the last four years. The American people deserve better.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

Any opinions?

Also, if anyone is aware of a non-anti-American Palestinian, or a neutral Palestinian that I could use for the interim leader, please let me know.

I plan to reveal all the candidates soon.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #373 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 04:09:44 PM by Former MidEast Assemblyman and elder statesman Cathcon »

Meldrim Thompsom Jr. was Governor of New Hampshire from 1973 to 1977, and from 1979 to 1981. In 1975, as President George Bush, who had taken over for President Agnew after his resignation, began to show weakness as Conservatives grew continually dis-satisfied with his tax raises and his recognition of Red China. Because of that, Conservatives began attempting to field a challenger. Possibles included California Senator Ronald Reagan and former Secretary of Defense Barry Goldwater, both of whom were well known Conservatives. However, Reagan was up for re-election that year and believed that a run would not successful, and if he won the nomination, it would be hard for him to win the general election. However, there were other Conservatives and eventually, a group of Conservatives including New York Senator James L Buckley and former RNC Chairman Edwin Meese agreed on the New Hampshire Governor.
Thompsom's campaign heavily relied on being able to win a decisivie victory in his home state of New Hampshire. It was there as well as portions of the South and West that he would focus his resources. Meanwhile, President Bush focused on Iowa where he hoped to pick up momentum. Thompsom also relied on endorsements, which he got from former Attorney General John Ashbrook, former RNC Chairman Edwin Meese, resigning Whitehouse Communications Director Patrick J Buchanan, former Secretary of Defense Barry Goldwater, New York Senator James L Buckley, and California Senator Ronald Reagan. With those, he hoped for a successful campaign.

-The Conservative Party (1964-2000), ninth grade history class essay by Christopher Clark, 2010

December 13th, 1975
Haig: Mr. President, the latest poll has Thompsom crushing you in New Hampshire 62-38. Also, he's on the rise in Western states.
Bush: Relax. He's only a four year Governor who, once the people get to know him, will vote for me in droves. I'm not worried about him. In Iowa I'll kick his ass.
haig: You had better hope so.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #374 on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »

Nice illustration of the story. This TL has been going on for almost 16 years good job. The other one has gone on for 56.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies