A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288176 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »

June 24th, 1970
Republicans Face Inability to Unite!
In memos leaked from the Republican National Committee, and from RNC Chairman Edwin Meese, it has been found out that apparently the Republicans don't want a Republican victory in New York. New York Senator Charles Goodell; who was appointed by Governor Nelson Rockefeller in 1968 following Senator Keatings resignation in order to become Ambassador to the Soviet Union under the Kennedy Administration; is unliked by Conservative Republicans, and it was reported in these leaked documents that a number of Conservative Republicans plan on supporting Conservative opponent James L Buckley, and that even RNC money has gone to Buckley. It is seen by Liberals, Democrat and Republican alike, as an attempt to permanently shift the Republican Party to the Far Right of Senators Goldwater and Reagan. A copy of one leaked memo is below.

From the Desk of Chairman Edwin Meese, June 19th, 1970
As a large number of you most likely know, Conservative Party nominee James L Buckley, brother to writer William F Buckley, is challenging Senator Charles Goodall for the Seante seat up for election this year. As has been stated before, a large part of the Republican Party would prefer that Buckley win, rather than fellow Republican Goodall. As there are still a few months to the election, it has as of yet been undecided as to whether Goodall shall receive continued funding despite the possibility of a tight race. In the future, it may be determined that funding would better be used elsewhere on different candidates.

The total response from moderate members of the Republican Party, including Senators Hatfield, Brooke, and of course, Goodall, has not been seen. However, this is the first time these documents have escaped the confines of the now Conservative dominated Republican National Committee, and the first real indication of a continued Conservative lean by the Republican National Committee, controlled by former Attorney Edwin Meese.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »

June 24th, 1970
In the Oval Office, certain higher up members of the cabinet are milling around, while Treasury Secretary Robert McNamara reads a newspaper.
    McNamara: (reading newspaper) 'In memos leaked from the Republican National Committee, and from RNC Chairman Edwin Meese, it has been found that apparently the Republicans don't want a Republican victory in New York'. It goes on to say how the RNC is beginning to get behind the Conservative candidate Buckley.
    Sanford: Jack, this could be our ticket top victory this fall! The Republicans are beginning to crack wide open!
    Bobby: Not only that, these two factions are growing physically more separated, especially in New York and the North-East. with Conservative Independent candidates running in some races, those seats could be ours for the taking.
    Jack: I'm not sure...This might not harm us as much as you think.
    Bobby: How so?
    Jack: If the Republican Party continues along this path, it might not hurt us this year, but in 1972, when you Terry are running, they might be more formidable a force than ever.
    Sanford: How?
    Jack: The south.
    McNamara: Republican? Places like Alabama and Mississippi won't be going Republican until Hell freezes over!
    Jack: Think about it. If the Republicans can get the South under their belts, by forfeiting the North Eastern Liberals, while at the same imte nailing down states like California, 1972 will be theirs for the taking.
    Mcnamara: The South will go along with the Dixiecrats, and whatever doesn't vote Dixiecrat is sure to go for us!
    Kennedy: Not with Civil Rights. Since re-election, we've been working to position ourselves as the party of Civil Rights. I don't know how that will affect us in the future. The Dixicrats, with continued loss, will surely collapse, and who's to take their place?
    Sanford: I never thought about it that way...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »

June 24th, 1970
Speechwriter Pat Buchanan paces his office holding a telephone and a newspaper, talking to Republican Nationanal Committee Chairman Edwin Meese who is on the other line.
    Buchanan: We can't have any more leaks! Do you want to sell them our entire electoral strategy?
    Meese: Look, Pat, I knwo what you mean. Right now, I'm firing people by the hour for being the least bit suspicious looking. I suspect it was one of the more moderate members that got into my office.
    Buchanan: Really. This can not happen again. I don't care if that sentence makes it sound like we're guarding some massive secret, just stop the leaks!
    Meese: You know I hate this as much as you do. I've cleared out all the correspondents, I've fired fifty newbies, I've gotten new janitors, and I'm currently wondering about my secretary.
    Buchanan: Well, id you ever consider that the people you just hired aren't spies? How about the more senior members? Anyone is worthy of suspicion. This could break the party apart, leaving us with neither momentum or a unified front in November.
    Meese: I know what you mean. This will not happen again.
    Buchanan: Make sure of it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »

July 2nd, 1970
In the Oval Office, President Kennedy sits down with Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Treasury Secretary Robert McNamara, and of course Attorney General Robert Kennedy.
    Jack: After the last passing, I think we need to move forward again. We'll introduce the Excellence in Education Act next.
    Bobby: Are you sure? What about the whole 'Conservatives Unite Against Kennedy' thing?
    McNamara: Jack's right. This is the perfect time to do it, right when the Republican Party itself can't unite. You heard about the leak from the RNC right?
    Bobby: Yeah, but the South will never vote for this. What they value most is 'States Rights'. They'll never go for the 'Department of Education'.
    Moynihan: However, I think we can get anough moderate Republicans to vote for it merely to spite the Conservatives.
    Jack: That's what we're banking on.
    Moynihan: How is the draft of the EEA coming, anyway?
    Bobby: Tip is working on it.
    Jack: Right, then we'll have it introduced next week, if it's ready by then.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »

July 11th, 1970
The Excellence in Education Act Introduced to Congress!
In today's session of Congress, in a bold move, the Excellence in Education Act, the second phase of President John F Kennedy's Great Society, was introduced today to Congress by Congressman Thomas O'Neil of Massachusetts. The act includes the creation of the Department of Education which shall oversee schools at a federal level, along with several reforms including the improvement of inner city schools, and standards in teacher hiring and curriculum. It is expected that Conservative Republicans will attempt to filibuster the act.

Congressman "Tip" O'Neil (D-MA), right, with House Minority Leader Gerald R Ford (R-MI), left
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

Comments, Questions, Critiques, Complaints, Compliments?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:15 AM »

August 3rd, 1970
As President Kennedy attempts to leave the Whitehouse, protesters, despite success in Vietnam, mob his limousine, nearly stopping the car dead in its tracks and slowing its pace to a halt.
    Jack: Look at these kids. No matter what I do, they'll never be happy. They want surrender, as do those damn Liberals on capitol hill.
    Bobby: They probably come from some of those Northen colleges, nothing better to do but come down here, complain, and smoke pot.
    Jack: It's outrageous. I give them the Peace Corps, I give them the Great Society, and all ther minds are stuck on is Vietnam and drug fumes. Christ.
(As the limousine slowly winds out of the gates, a chant starts)
    Students: Hey, Hey JFK! How many kids did you kill today! Hey, Hey JFK! How many kids did you kill today!
    Jack: You hear that? I'm trying to win this damn war and all those f#cking hippies can do is talk about 'killing kids'.
    Bobby: With all those damn marijuana fumes floating around in their heads, thay probably haven't given themselves the chance to comprehend this war, or the Cold War. All they think about is what happens directly, if that.
    Jack: One day, these damn kids will control the world, damn them.
    Students: Hey, Hey, JFK! How many kids did you kill today! Hey, Hey, JFK! How man kids did you kill today!

Do you approve of President Kennedy's performance in office so far?
Yes-51%
No-43%
Undecided-6%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »

August 5th, 1970
Back home in Oregon, Senator Hatfield takes a rest from his Senate duties. His friend, Reverend Billy Graham who has served as a spiritual adviser to a number of Presidents, talks with him.
    Hatfield: This is just a mess in Vietnam. Carpet bombing, invasions, boys returning home in body bags.
    Graham: Yes. It's just a horrible situation all around.
    Hatfield: It's the fault of those Kennedys. If only someone were willing to stop it.
    Graham: I think you could.
    Hatfield: Really? The party wouldn't accept me. It's sold out to the Far Right. Reagan'll win the nomination this time around.
    Graham: Well, like you said, someone has to stop it.
    Hatfield: No. I won't run. I've never had an interest in the Presidency and I don't plan to.
    Graham: Wait until after the mid-terms to decide.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »

Any thoughts or opionions?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 03:23:32 PM by Cathcon (Feudalist-Michigan) »

November 3, 1970
...And after calling the races in Nevada and Texas, which are both going Republican, we can project that when the Senate meets in January of next year, it will be controlled by Republicans!

Upcoming Congressional Balance of Power:
Republicans-51
Democrats-47
Conservatives-1
Independents-1

Notable Races:
California: Senator Ronald Reagan is re-elected against opponent George Tuney
Michigan: Former Michigan Governor George Romney, out of office for two years, and the 1968 Republican Presidential nominee, wins election to the Senate
Nevada: In a rematch with his 1964 opponent, Governor Paul Laxalt wins election to the Senate by a hair
New York: Conservative Party Candidate James L Buckley wins election to the Senate
Ohio: In a rematch with his 1964 opponent, Congressman Robert Taft Jr. win election to the Senate
Texas: In another 1964 rematch, Congressman George Bush beats his rival Ralph Yarborough
Virginia: Independent incumbent Robert Byrd wins re-election with 53% of the vote

Notable Gubernatorial Races
California: Actor Charlton Heston is elected, beating Republican Robert Finch
Maryland: Governor Spiro T Agnew is re-elected with 51% of the popular vote
New York: Governor Nelson Rockefeller is elected to a fourth term
Texas: Two term Governor John Tower, a Republican, is elected to a third term
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 04:38:08 PM by Cathcon »

November 3, 1970
In Texas, in Congressman George Bush's campaign headquarters where he and his campaign staffers are celebrating Bush's election to the Senate. His friend James Baker who has run for and won Bush's Congressional seat is there with him.
    Bush: Well, we did it.
    Baker: We certainly did.
    Bush: Well, in January, it'll be onto the Senate for me and onto Congress for you.
(As Bush speaks, an aide runs up to him)
    Aide: Congressman Bush! Secretary of Defense John Connally is on the phone in the other room!
    Bush: Hmm...What could he possibly want?
(Bush walks into an empty room where a phone is lying on a table. He picks it up.)
    Bush: Hello?
    Connally: Hello. This is John Connally.
    Bush: Yes. I know who you are.
    Connally: Congratulations on beating Yarborough. I'm glad he was finally defeated.
    Bush: Thank you Secretary Connally.
    Conally: Well, good luck in the Senate. Bye.
    Bush: Bye.

At the Reagan campaign headquarters, where crowds await after the announcement of victory, Reagan steps up to the podium where below at least one hundred people fill the room.
    Reagan: California, tonight, you have voted for six more years of continued representation! You have voted for a representative who believes in economic freedoms, victory in the Cold War, and in Liberty! I think you for your support, and we'll be seeing you six years from now, or maybe even sooner!

Reagan's allusions to "maybe sooner" are taken different ways be the media. His supporters, such as speechwriter Patrick J Buchanan try to downplay it, saying that he may be thinking of running for Governor in 1974. However, others think that he is alluding to the Presidency, which will be up for grabs in 1972, two years from now.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »

Gee, it sure is lonely here (our hero laughs nervously while staring out into the darkness).
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:55 AM »

I'm still here! Or perhaps I should say I'm back.

This is very good. Keep it coming!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »

I'm still here! Or perhaps I should say I'm back.

This is very good. Keep it coming!

Thanks, not just for this, but your support of all my timelines.

A note for those of you reading, I'm going to try to speed this up past the mid-terms, and get to 1972, when the primaries begin.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 09:19:43 AM by Cathcon »

It was after Agnew's re-election that he seemed to decide that he was for sure running. Even though his re-election had been narrow at best, it showed that his home state was at least willing to vote for him. He began taking several out of state trips, mostly to New Hampshire and other Eastern states, along with Southern States. The man he talked to most was former President Nixon who was devising the "Southern Strategy" to capitalize on anti-Democratic sentiment in the South. Nixon himself seemed to be planning on running. Little did we in the assembly know how far Agnew would go.
-1975 Interview with Maryland Governor Marvin Mendel

1970 was our year. With Conservative pick-ups in Ohio and Nevada, and with moderates taking other states, we felt we could carry all of that momentum into election day 1972. A number of us, including myself and RNC Chairman Edwin Meese wanted Goldwater to run for Majority Leader. However, he declined the opportunity, focusing much more on passing Conservative legislation. With a majority in the Senate, we felt we could finally stop the Kennedy agend, which had stalled in the House with the debate over Universal Healthcare. By then, with his re-election, Reagan was already gearing up for 1972.
-Right From the Beginning, Patrick J Buchanan, (c) 1987

After the results came in for Texas, we were elated. There was this sense of vindication, and of validation, because George's adopted home had finally accepted him. However, it was there that our paths would split for the first time in a couple of years. He was off to the Senate while I had taken his old House seat. I had originally planned on stopping campaigning for Congress because of the loss of my dear wife, Mary. However, George talked me into running, saying that I could, like he, use politics to cpe with the loss of a love one. I took him at his word, and the result was me election to the House of Representatives.
-What the Man Was Made of, James Baker, (c) 1997
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

November 5th, 1970
With HUD Secretary Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Treasury Secretary Robert McNamara, Labor Secretary Lloyd Bentsen, and Attorney General Robert F Kennedy, President John Kennedy sits down to talk about the remaining weeks before the Senate will become controlled by the Republicans.
    Jack: Oaky. Down to business. We've got a few weeks to ram this through as best we can. Can we? We've talked through this before. Are the supporters still receptive?
    Lloyd: Jack, like before, the unions are all on board for this.
    McNamara: As usual, business isn't happy with whatever you do outside of tax cuts.
    Moynihan: I've talked with leaders of minority and urban groups, and they don't care what it takes. Their people are hungry.
    Jack: What about Congress?
    Bobby: Jack, a larg number of the Congressmen who were stalling are willing to go ahead, but we have a number of undecideds and a couple of defeated Congressmen who feel they have a civic duty not to pass this when they weren't re-elected. We don't know if we have enough. However, so far, we've gotten it past the Senate, and all we're worried about is the House.
    Jack: Good. Talk to Albert. I want a definite 'yes' by December.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »

November 26th, 1970
With American forces closing in on Hanoi, the capital of North Vietnam, in an attempt to cripple North Vietnam's attempted take over of South Vietnam, riots plague the streets of major cities. No longer riots debating race, but riots debating the war. Where three years ago fighting would have occured between black and white, it now seems it is old against young as hippies, even as winter approaches, take to the streets to protest new waves of carpet bombings and American casulaties in the United States' attempt to fight the North Vietnamese. Even though it appears the 'police action' is on its way to being won, that does nothing to change the fact that American boys are arriving home in body bags, and that people are angry about it.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »

November 27th, 1970
The American people will no longer tolerate such flagrant violation of the law! From defecations of private property to flag burning. My administration and I will be consistently tough on this abhorrant lawlessness. I have been in contact with state Governors and we have been consistently in agreement that these riots must stop. Therefore, I am authorizing use of the national guard in all major riots, at the discretion of the Governors!
-President John F Kennedy at a press conference the morning following the riots
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 09:31:07 AM by Cathcon »

December 13th, 1970
Healthcare Fails in the House!
The final voting on the implementation of universal healthcare today has yielded a suprising result. While it was expected that during the lame duck session the Democrats with Liberal Republican support would be able to pass the Universal Health Coverage Act. However, a rogue number of Liberals from both parties have surprisingly turned down a chance to pass a dream that has existed since the time of President Truman. In the 'Protest for Integrity', an essential number of Liberals voted 'No' in today's voting saying that it wouldn't be right to hold a vote after certain members of the chamber had failed re-election.

In the Oval Office, termpers run high because of the actions of a select few who are responsible for the first failing of President Kennedy's Great Society. Sitting on one of the Oval Office couches is Treasury Secretary Robert McNamara, reading out of a newspaper.
    McNamara: '...saying that it wouldn't be right to hold a vote after certain members of the chamber had failed re-election'. This is ridiculous Jack. We have to keep these people in line. Do you know what this damn 'protest for integrity' is doing to your agenda?
    Jack: Hell yes I know. You think I don't know?
(President Kennedy, who is behind his desk, standing up, leaning over it, leans back into his chair and sighs)
    Jack: Bobby, call Carl Albert and tell him that he has a job to do and that is to keep the party in line!
    Bobby: I'll get Ms. Kopechne right on it.
    Jack: Good. Pull no punches. We can't have this pipsqueak ruining all six years of our work while we sit back helplessly. Does he know how many earmarks we put in that damn thing!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »

For the record, I'm basing my dialogue of the Kennedy Administration more on "Nixon" directed by Oliver Stone than anything else. That's pretty much where I credit the inspiration of the first scene in this, though in my head it originally took place in the Presidential limo trying to enter the Whitehouse.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 09:41:42 AM by Cathcon »

The failure of healthcare was just the start of it. The Kennedy Administration's eventual collapse was at that point yet to come, however, with his failure to even control the Liberal elements of his own party was the signal of the end. Like the Soviet Union's collapse in the mid 1990's, we didn't know when it would happen, but we knew that it was inevitable. At that point, in 1970, I was still working as a free lanse speechwriter for Conservative causes. It was through that job that I met for President Nixon, then-Texas Governor John Tower, and more. I'd already met faces such as Buckley and Reagan through Goldwater's 1968 campaign. However, by 1970 my career was just taking off.
-Right From the Beginning, Patrick J Buchanan (c) 1987

1970 was the breaking point. It demonstrated all that was wrong with the Democratic Party. Kennedy's failures were obvious: He couldn't hold together his own party, he was pro-war to the point of fascism, and he was willing to do whatever it took to advance his agenda. There was also a much more subtle fault of his that I think he really grew to know during those last two years in office. He had no 'niche' in the Democratic Party as he knew it. There were the Liberals and there were the Southern Conservatives. He fit best with Henry M Jackson's Paleo-Liberals, however he didn't agree with them on everything either. By 1972, he realized that but for his cabinet, he was all alone in the party.
-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1997
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »

May 3rd, 1971
Goldwater Is Out of 1972!!
Earlier today, Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater announced that he would not be running for President next year. With this announcement, the spotlight turns to his friend, California Senator Ronald Reagan, who has become the de facto Conservative candidate. Reagan, having served as Commerce Secretary for over two and a half years, and having served as a Senator for six years and counting, is deemed as at least somewhat qualified for the Presidency. Other possible candidates include New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller and Oregon Senator Mark Hatfield.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

The Get Tough Governor
TIME profiles Governor Spiro T Agnew of Maryland

Havign served as Governor for over four years now, Governor Agnew as been seen as one of many Law & Order Governors in the nation. His 'harsh' reactions to riots have seemed to work with his strengthening of the police force and the national guard. He has also promoted reforms throughout the state, concerning Civil Rights. Having been narrowly re-elected last year, the Governor is a hard to palce figure in American politics. He is known for his toughness on rioters and protesters, however he is Progressive on Civil Rights, Centrist in his fiscal policy, and is favored by of all people, Southerners, having made trips down to places such as South Carolina. No one can tell just how far this Governor will go. Do his ambitions reach beyond Maryland? In an interview in June, he did not rule out future ambitions:

Agnew: Yes, I have thougth about a run for the Presidency. However, right now I'm focused on reforming Maryland. If I look at this country a couple months from now and I think that I could add to it, then yes I will run. However, right now I'm undecided.

The Governor does not seem undecided as he has spent a part of his second term making out of state trips to what have been though of as key primary states, and has met with well know political figures such as former President Richard Nixon and New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller.

The cover of "Life" magazine from a year before, also profiling the Governor
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »

The 1972 Rogues' Gallery

For Repulicans, even as the Vietnam War is slowly wrapping up and will likely be a non-issue by 1972, theres is still a good chance of winning the Whitehouse next year. With fatigue from the Democrats as well as momentum from their 1970 Congressional gains, Republicans seem to have the edge. In Part One of this Article, we will outline the five major Republican candidates for the nomination next year.

Former President Richard Nixon of California
Having lost re-election in 1964 due to humiliations in foreign policy, the phrase of his campaign has seemed to become 'He's tanned, he's rested, he's ready', and so it seems. Nixon has spent his seven years since retirement either sulking in his home in Yorba Linda, or taking trips abroad, and so far it seems he has come back able to talk rings around his opponents in the field of foreign policy. For him to lose the nomination would be only another of his many humiliations.

Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York
The Liberal Four-Term Governor of New York seems to be the best positioned to win, having money on his side. However, with 1970's take over of the Republican Party by Conservatives, Rockefeller seems to be an anethema to the voters in the primaries, and his best chances are at the convention. His political career started out working for Franklin Delano Roosevelt's administration during the 1940's where he ended up serving as Assistant Secretary of State. During the 1950's, Rockefeller was UnderSecretary of Health, Education, and Welfare before running for and winning the Governorship of New York in 1958.

Senator Ronald Reagan of California
The protege of Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona, the time seems ripe for Reagan to step onto the Presidential scene and utilize Goldwater's momentum from previous races and turn it into a win for the emerging Western Conservative movement. Reagan's political career begin in the late 1940's serving as President of the Screen Actor's Guild. In 1960 with Richard Nixon's inauguration, Reagan was selected to be Commerce Secretary, citing his experience with General Electric. Reagan eventually resigned his position in November of 1963. In 1964, despite Republican losses elsewhere, Reagan was the sole Senatorial gain for the Republicans as he won a Democrat controlled seat in the Senate in California.

Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon
The name "Mark Hatfield" has become unique in the Senate because of his anti-war leanings in a party that is growing continually Conservative. He has amde opponents with people ranging from John F Kennedy to Ronald Reagan and the list does not stop there. His career as a politician spans back to 1950 when he first began working as a member of the Oregon house of Representatives. In 1958 he was elected governor of Oregon, and in 1966, he was elected Senator. He has forged his own path in the Senate taking positions that are hard to classify politically and is regarded as a 'policy maverick'. Nevertheless, he maintains his own following within the Republican Party and is well respected in Washington's iner circles.

Governor Spiro T Agnew of Maryland
A relatively new face to the national stage, people fist became aware of Agnew as a 'tough on crime' Governor in the late sixties. That, coupled with his surprise entry into the 1968 balloting for Vice-President at the Republican National Convention, has the perfect makings of a dark horse candidate like him. He, along with Senator Reagan stand the best chance in any Southern primaries.

Potential candidates who declined running include Michigan Senator George Romney, Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, and Texas Senator George Bush.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »

Coming up: The Democratic candidates, though I'm too lazy to put them up tonight. There'll be at least three.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies