A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:04:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288751 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »

Well, the primaries are done. I hope you're all happy. If anyone wants to help me with the delegate totals, I'd be glad to accept.

Any predictions or preferred candidates?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »

Well, the primaries are done. I hope you're all happy. If anyone wants to help me with the delegate totals, I'd be glad to accept.

I'd help with the delegate counts, except that I don't know how to do it either.

I stand by my earlier prediction, but I can't be too confident about it. I do think the Republican, whoever it is, will win the general.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2010, 03:43:05 PM by Cathcon »

June 24th, 1972
Former President Richard Nixon, whose attempt at a comeback seems to have failed, persists in campaigning and meeting with local leaders to draw in support. Walking beside him is his campaign manager, former Governor Robert Finch of California.
    Finch: Look, Mr. Nixon, you only won two primaries. How do you think they'll accept you?
    Nixon: Bobby, Bobby. When it comes down to the wire, it'll be Reagan vs. Rockefeller with Agnew coming in from the center. They won't be able to reach a compromise after the first two rounds of balloting. I'll talk to Agnew, who is actually good friends with Rockefeller. If Agnew can endorse me and talk to Rockefeller and Reagan, I should be the nominee by the fourth round.
    Finch: The plan seems shaky at best, but it looks like it's all we've got.
    Nixon: Of course it's all we've got! But don't tell the reporters that. Get the press people to make all optimistic. Don't show fear and never give in. People may hate you, but they only win if you hate them back.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »

I'd help with the delegate counts, except that I don't know how to do it either.

I stand by my earlier prediction, but I can't be too confident about it. I do think the Republican, whoever it is, will win the general.

Everything rests on the convention...(cue ominous music) Reagan would've had the nomination in the bag right now if not for Nixon and Agnew taking the Conservative/Centrist vote, and Rockefeller would've been one of the biggest contenders if Hatfield hadn't taken away Oregon and New Hampshire.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »

Going into the convention, Reagan was very optimistic. He had the endorsements of prominent Conservatives such as Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, New York Senator James L Buckley, writer William F Buckley, and Nevada Senator Paul Laxalt. All he felt he needed was the first ballot. By all reasoning, according to the Reaganite lot, 1972 was their turn. The Centrists had been discredited by Nixon, and the Moderate to Liberals had been discredited by Romney. He had the strength of nearly the entire Western delegation and strength in the Mid-West. 1972 was going to be the year of Conservatism, the year that they took back not only the management of America, but political alginment of America and set everything straight.
-Reaganland, Richard Perlstein, (c) 2007
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »

WIth the 1972 Republican National Convention coming up, I was surprised when a friend and I had been lucky enough to obtain tickets to it. We were going to see Reagan speak! The weeks leading up to the convention were hectic, and at the convention, we were thrown the biggest curveball you possibly could have.
-Courage and Consequence; The Life of a Conservative in the Fight, Karl Rove, (c) 2009
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »

June 30th, 1972
Because of the continued and utter Liberalism of the Democrats, and because of consistent pandering to them by the Republicans, and because neither party has shown the guts or the intelligence to stand up to Big Government spending, I am declaring my candidacy for Presidency of the United States as an Independent!

...Spoke Congressman John Schmitz, a former Republican who has been disgusted by the policies of Richard Nixon on the foreign front, and by the domestic policies of the Kennedy Administration. While he has received no official endorsement from famous Southern Democrats such as Alabama Governor George Wallace and South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, should Wallace's bid for the Democratic nomination fail, it is expected that the Dixicrat party will endorse him. He has yet to announce a running mate. However, should Ronald Reagan, a Senator from Schmitz's very state, win the Republican nomination, Reagan may become the de facto Southern candidate and outshine Shmitz's campaign.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »

June 1st, 1972
In the offices of the Agnew for President campaign headquarters, Maryland Governor Spiro T Agnew sits with his campaign manager.
    Manager: Look, Spiro, your best bet is to draw a strong second and endorse Reagan. Then, you'll get the Vice-Presidency as a 'fellow Conservative', and a Southerner.
    Agnew: Look. We're in this to win. If we give this all we've got, then we'll end up in a good place, either in the Vice-Presidency, or if we're lucky the Whitehouse. Rockefeller, he doesn't want Reagan, Nixon, he's too bitter because Reagan endorsed Goldwater in 1964. Neither of them will endorse Reagan, and Hatfield won't likely be endorsed either because he stole New Hampshire and Oregon. They won't be able to unite.
    Manager: Yes. I've thought about that myself. If we can get all prospective delegates from Nixon and Rockefeller onto us, you have the nomination.
    Agnew: Rockefeller is a friend of mine. See if he can reconcile. Call him.
    Manager: The call is already being made.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

Would the people that voted "No", "I don't care" and "Hell no!" please step forward?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

June 9th, 1972
Reagan Leads Sanford!
With the 1972 Democratic National Convention approaching rapidly, new polls have been released showing that California Senator Ronald Reagan leads Vice-President Terry Sanford by eight points. Both candidates are the presumed nominees of their respective parties, however they may face resistance at the conventions. With this recent trend in the polling, it is wondered if Vice-President Sanford will be able to pull out with a victory, at the convention and in the general. Certain groups might try to draft Senators Ted Kennedy or Hubert h Humphrey, or maybe Attorney General Robert F Kennedy in order to stop Sanford and 'save the party'. However, Sanford as of now is the presumed nominee.

Who do you prefer for President?
Ronald Reagan 48%
Terry Sanford 40%
Undecided/Other 9%
John Schmitz 3%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2010, 10:29:14 PM »

Next up will be the Democratic National Convention.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »

Shameless Bump. With Finals (for my school) coming up and the amount of homework being sent home, I don't have the time for updates as dedicated as the DNC, or in the case of America and Onward, the first term of President Bob Casey.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »

For the record, I fully intend to continue this, and I have a lot of ideas for advancing this. However, the entire election is kind of a roadblock to that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »

I'm thinking of just diong one huge update on the 1972 election from the Point of View of someone in the future. I'm really more at home telling a story like this from past tense, however, I will attempt to keep the format.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »

Shameless Bump. With Finals (for my school) coming up and the amount of homework being sent home, I don't have the time for updates as dedicated as the DNC, or in the case of America and Onward, the first term of President Bob Casey.

Thats how I felt when I wasn't updating my timeline during exams...its forgivable! lol
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

July 10th, 1972
Miami Beach, Florida...
    Sanford: I want you to be on the ticket...
    Humphrey: Look, Terry, I only won one primary. We're relatively similar in beliefs. What could I bring?
    Sanford: An end to everything Wallace stands for in the Democratic Party. I could choose a SOutherner like Eagleton or Carter, however, I want you. You! The Happy Warrior! The single most dedicated man in the Senate, and the biggest fighter for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties!
    Humphrey: I'll have to think about it. If I'd been asked in 1964, I'd have had no problem accepting. However, now I'm the Senate Minority Leader, and I have a duty to lead the Democrats out of this slump...
    Sanford: And this is how you can do it! Look at thos delegations out there, from Illinois, from Wisconsin, from all other states! This party needs us, otherwise it'll forever remain the party of Wallace and Thurmond and States' Rights and Slavery! Do you want the Republicans to continue to claim to be the party of Civil Rights?

Sanford Chooses Humphrey!
Today, with the opening of the 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami Beach, Florida, Vice-President Terry Sanford who is currently the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, made an announcement as to who his Vice-President would be, and he chose Senate Minority Leader Hubert H Humphrey who has been a large advocate for Civil Rights and a member of the Senate Democratic leadership. Since 1971 with the swearing in of the Republican controlled Senate, he has led the Democrats in support of the policies of the Kennedy Administration. He is seen as a qualified choice, though as expected, Southern Democrats protested and Liberals lobbied for Sanford choosing Gravel, McGovern, McCarthy, or Church. However, balloting has yet to take place and though Sanford and Humphrey are the likely nominees, we do not yet know for sure who will be nominated.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »

...Well that's day one...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2011, 09:18:46 PM by Papistcon »

Oh, yes, I've talked with Governor Wallace a couple times. The Dixiecrat Party has talked of endorsing me, however, they may go with their own candidate. Fact is, I'm here to oppose these goddamn foreign wars, to oppose this ignorant Civil Rights mentality, to oppose the blatant Statism of the Kennedy Administration, and to put true Conservatism in the Whitehouse. I do not yet know who I will choose as my running mate, however, if he can unite behind those principles, and he will join me on the ticket, I'd be glad to accept this hypothetical person. Whether it's George Wallace or Robert Taft Jr.
-Quote from July 10th, 1972 interview with Congressman John Schmitz
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2011, 09:19:00 PM by Papistcon »

July 11th, 1972
Question: Would you agree to be Congressman Schmitz's Running Mate?

No, I'd never consider joining a ticket with such a blatant racist as Mr. Schmitz. Despite our agreement on war and on Civil Liberties, I can not and will not be on the same ticket with a man such as him.
-Senator Robert Taft Jr. (R-OH)

Such a man as John Schmitz, despite some of his positions being dead on in terms of Civil Liberties, should not be on any Presidential ticket no matter how small. His racism as well as his foolish positions on foreign policy as well as his extremely limited experience in Congress, disqualify him for that position. For now I am content with the Republican Party and hope they nomination my good friend and colleague, Senator Reagan.
-Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)

Congressman Schmitz is a man with guts, and with the stomach to stand up to the Liberalism in both parties. However, my time for running is done. The Dixiecrat Party at this time is considering endorsing him.
-Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC)

Yes I would consider being on a ticket with Congressman Schmitz, who is a man of integrity alone in a party made up of Northern Liberals and Western fools. Right now, I'm concentrating on winning the Democratic nomination, however.
Governor George Wallace (D-AL)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »

As a note, there is only won registered Dixiecrat in Congress, that is Harry F Byrd. The rest, such as Thurmond, all chnage their registration when they see a Dixiecrat candidates running. However, during the rest of the year, they are Democrats.

Any ideas on who Schmitz should choose as his Vice-President? I'm not sure myself right now. I'm thinking that if a moderate wins the nomination, a Conservative could step on, but right now all the major ones are turned off by Schmitz's racism.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2011, 11:54:29 AM by Papistcon »

July 13th, 1972
Sanford and Humphrey Successful!
Following the balloting for Vice-President, it can be said decisively that Vice-President Terry Sanford is the Democratic Presidential nominee, and Hubert H Humphrey is the Republican Vice-Presidential nominee. Both of these were expected. The major ramifications are being felt with a 5% swing of support to the Schmitz campaign. Along with that, Republicans picked up 2%. It is as of yet unknown who Congressman Schmitz will choose for Vice-President. Some names that are floating around include Senator James L Buckley (C-NY) and Governor George Wallace (D-AL). However, Senator Buckley says that he has not yet been called by the Schmitz campaign.

Who do you prefer for President? (7-9-72)
Ronald Reaagn-48%
Terry Sanford-40%
John Schmitz-3%
Undecided/Other-9%
Who do you prefer for President? (7-13-72
Generic Republican-50%
Terry Sanford/Hubert H Humphrey-40%
John Schmitz/?-8%
Undecided/Other-2%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

July 14th, 1972

Because of the continued Liberal trend of the Democratic party, as well as its being out of touch with most Americans, I endorse Congressman Schmitz for President!
Governor George Wallace (D-AL)

I too will follow along th eline of Governor Wallace in supporting Congressman Schmitz!
-Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC)

No, I have not been called by the Schmitz for President campaign and if I were, I would not accept to be on the same ticket with a man such as John Schmitz.
-Senator James L Buckley (C-NY)

I don't see Schmitz as much of a threat. We have won twice before without the Deep South, and it is a clear sign the the Deep South does not need the Democratic Party and the Democratic Party does not need the Deep South.
-Senate Minority Leader and Vice-Presidential candidate Hubert H Humphrey (D-MN)

I can not condone the racist rhetoric of Congressman Schmitz, or his foolish positions on foreign wars. We won Vietnam and he still hasn't taken the message that America can and will win other wars. Right now, I'm concentrated on locking up the delegates I need for the Republican National Convention.
-Senator and Presidential candidate Ronald Reagan (R-CA)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:22 PM »

Coming up: The Triumph of President Moonbeam!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

July 22nd, 1972
Apollo 15 Launches! Expected To Be The One!
At 10:00 AM, Eastern Standard Time, in Houston Texas, Apollo 15 launched, bound on its mission toward the Moon. Present at the launch site were President Kennedy, Vice-President Sanford, Secretary of Defense John Connally, Senators George Bush and Lyndon Johnson, Governor John Tower, and NASA Director John Glenn. Astronauts David Scott, James Irwin, and Alfred Wordon are expected to reach the Moon on the 26th, and expected to return home by the 30th. President Kennedy has claimed that along with the passing of pieces of the Great Society, the Civil Rights Act of 1969, and victory in the Vietnam War, this is one of his proudest moments as President.

The Robbins Medallino for Apollo 15

The effect that this has on the Presidential Race currently ensuing has not yet been researched, though polls are expected to be published by the late evening. The President's approval ratings have shot up to 72%.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »

Anyone care to criticize my blatant historical innacuracy?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies