A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:31:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288752 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »

Very solid and diverse line-up in the Reagan administration. I'll go out on a limb and say that Buckley's confirmation hearings were quite heated, though he's quick enough on his feet to do alright. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #801 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2012, 08:50:08 PM by Cathcon »

A Non-Serious Update: What-if?

Kennedy Victory
In the dream world where no news of the bugging of Bob Gates' office come out, or where it doesn't even happen, and the War in Palestine is won by 1979. The economy gets mildly better and McCarthy launches neither a third party challenge, nor an independent bid. In this fantasy scenario, RFK sends the radical Reagan and the equally radical (for different reasons) Mark Hatfield packing.

McCarthy Victory
In an even wilder fantasy world, a world where McCarthy fans' dreams of a 1980 Independent victory come true, McCarthy is somehow able to beat out both the fascist Reagan and the fascist Kennedy for the Presidency in a true victory for the people.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #802 on: November 20, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »

Combined map of Anderson victory from Miracle and McCarthy from Second Chance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »

"Following the election, the White House seemed to lack the prestige it once held as I entered it with Jack in 1965. It seemed more a museum of my frustrations than any Presidential residence. I had worked more than any President to streamline the government, both the military and the domestic agencies, bureaus, and departments. I had de-regulated business much in need of de-regulation. I had won the Palestinian War. I had defended international human rights. I had legislated equality. I had done all these things and yet, none of it could over shadow the fact that I had not been rewarded for all this.

It didn't help that Jack was hospitalized a week before Christmas. The former President lay in a hospital bed while doctors rushed around him. No, he wouldn't be dying, not then. However, it only seemed to cast such a larger shadow over the office we had mutually held. As the transition of power began, I was surprised to see a few people staying. John Warner, Secretary of the Navy, would become the nation's next Secretary of Defense. Jimmy Carter and John Connally, the Energy and Commerce Secretaries respectively, would be staying in their positions. One thing was sure, looking over the new Reagan cabinet. He would be devoted as I to fighting international communism. However, I was sure he wouldn't be a devoted to fighting American poverty.

When I woke up on January 20th, it was as if I was in a haze. Nothing seemed real as I strode with President-Elect Reagan towards Chief Justice White, ready to give up the office I had fought for. Nevertheless, this was America and I was bound to have a peaceful transition of power go through. I clenched my fists as I heard Reagan utter those words "I, Ronald Wilson Reagan, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God." That was it, the Presidency had been relinquished and I would be headed back for Massachusetts. Boarding what had formerly been Marine One, I gave the White House one last furtive look over."
-In My Defense, Robert F. Kennedy, ©1984

January 20th, 1981
Following the Inauguration of President Reagan, former President Kennedy strides, arm in arm with his wife Ethel, towards Marine One, glancing back at the White House. Ethel boards the helicopter as the former President continues to look. A Secret Service agent beckons him to board.
Agent: Mr. President, we should get going. It's a long flight back to Hyannis Port.
Kennedy: Give me a moment Bob.
The agent sighs, leans back, counts to three, and turns back towards Kennedy.
Agent: We really should be going Mr. President.
Kennedy: Alright Bob.
Kennedy climbs the steps into the helicopter, sitting opposite his wife. His children have already left, taking a different helicopter following the inuaugration. Kennedy looks out the window as the White House disappears from view. Leaning forward, he looks at his wife.
Kennedy: Ethel, did I do what was right as President?
Ethel: Oh Bobby. I'm sure.
Kennedy sighs. Regardless, it is over.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #804 on: November 22, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »

January 22nd, 1981
A television address by the newly inaugurated President Ronald Wilson Reagan. Ringing him are Senate Majority Leader Howard H. Baker Jr. (R-TN), Congressman Silvio Conte (R-MA-1), and Vice-President Mark O. Hatfield (R-OR)
    Reagan: My fellow Americans, I am addressing you today for only the second time as your President. Much has happened the last four years. The fates seem to have guided America along a strange path, riddled with scandal, economic instability, uncertainty overseas, and, in spit of all this, most of all, hope. Through any of the darker times in our nation's history, there has always been hope. America, since its very founding, has been a nation of optimism, willfully charging forward when needed and always able to overcome its obstacles. That spirit, tracing back to Columbus setting forth on the Atlantic in 1492, to the American Revolution, to the recovery from the Great Depression, is the type of spirit that has made America the greatest nation in the world.
    However, that spirit has always been backed up by more than a few petty words. It has been back up in deeds. Going beyond merely offering their grievances to England, America revolted in the name of Independence and Liberty. Rather than offer weak words claiming the Confederacy shouldn't be seceding, Lincoln was the leader of the charge to re-unite America, both during the Civil War and following Reconstruction. Instead of choosing to condemn the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Franklin Roosevelt chose to act in kind.
    So it is today. America has a choice. Though certainly in no way greater than some of the crucial decisions upon which our nation's future has hinged, it may prove just as important to the many families who today work long hours for little pay, who fill the unemployment lines, who are stuck at the gas station, glancing at the price sign and seeing numbers beyond belief. Our economy today, while having moved beyond the inflation that possessed a strangelhold on the seventies, it has not moved beyond the staggering unemployment that came with the inflation. Unemployment today stands at 9.8%, having lowered then risen throughout last year. That is why I shall be submitting the Economic Recovery and De-Regulatory Act of 1981 to Congress within my first one hundred days. Each day we wait to pass the needed legislation to finally bring our economy around to its status in the fifties and sixties, to normalcy and prosperity, is another family unemployed, another family left without food, and another day of recession.
    This act shall entail my campaign promises of middle-class tax cuts, de-regulation, deficit reduction, business tax cuts, and the beginning of the process of stream-lining government agencies and increasing their effectiveness on the people they were intended for. As we speak, Senators, Congressmen, aides, and legislative assistants are producing the legislation that will put America back on track and back into the era of prosperity that the previous decade was so sadly denied. Thank you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #805 on: November 26, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »

January 28th, 1981
Inside the Oval Office, the leaders of President Reagan’s foreign policy team; Bill Buckley, John Warner, George Bush, and John Eisenhower; as well as Senator Barry Goldwater, Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, sit with the President, discussing how to deal with upcoming foreign policy issues.
    Bush: One of the uh… major pressing issues we’re going to be dealing with is Palestine…
    Goldwater: That ship has sailed, I’m glad to say. We all know we were justified going in there. That much was obvious with Scoop’s death. The fact is, however, we took out the perpetrators. We took out the perps behind the perps for Christ’s sake. Just because I left the position only months before we went in doesn’t mean I wasn’t paying attention. We don’t need to be… to be handing out an American flag t-shirt to every god little Palestinian girl and boy.
    Bush: Look, I- I beg to differ. When we pulled out, we hadn’t done nearly enough. There were so many issues in the newly constructed Palestine, I’m surprised it lasted past election day. Now we have, we have riots in the streets, radicals from the left and right… 
    Reagan: Now calm down George. You too Barry. Our job in Palestine is done. Regardless of the job we did, going back in would be too much of a breach of our declaration of victory. The first officially declared war America’s waged since World War II. We don’t need to be going back on it now. John, speak.
    Eisenhower: The most looming issue is Afghanistan. We are, for the most part, at a time of relative peace in the Cold War. Vietnam is over, Palestine is a closed book. Korea is forgotten. However, the next step, and RFK saw this, will be behind the scenes wars, as were waged under my father. The Soviets, in one desperate attempt at showing their muscle, lurched into Afghanistan. While it is doubtless they will fail, the question is how long it will take. Every day we wait for them to fail is another day of Afghans displaced onto the Pakistani border and villagers running from Soviet tanks and ‘copters. I’ve received some very interesting information from the DCI, Califiano on the subject. When the invasion began in 1979, we had already decided, thanks to Charlie Wilson of Texas, to send in funds to the Mujahedeen after them. Kennedy kept in under wraps. What are we going to do about it?
    Reagan: We’re going to keep funding it, as of now at least. However, send a message down to Joe, and to Wilson, have the CIA run a full evaluation of how the money is being spent. Don’t need it going towards shady arms deals with Iran or something do we? Now, the next topic my Administration will have to address is the state of our missile arsenal. Other John?
    Warner: You see, Mr. President, when JFK was campaigning in 1960 on some sort of missile gap, he was completely wrong. There was none. The Soviets had just begun ICBM production in the fifties. It was only in the mid-sixties we were near having to worry about much of anything. Incidentally, they near surpassed us around the time of SALT (looks nervously at Bush and Eisenhower). However, in 1976 we had put them somewhat comfortable behind us, though a mere decimal point of our lead back in 1960. We’ve successfully led them, but only by hairs since then.
    Buckley: One thing we have to keep in mind, as always, is quality over quantity. We’ve got the best production facilities on the globe. Also of note, the Soviet Union is surrounded by enemies. We successfully alienated China from their fellow communist nation in 1974, now we have the world against them. It’s only a matter of whether we want a quick or slow decline. I feel safe in suggesting that all in the administration, minus of course our own Vice-President, favor a quick decline.
    Reagan: You can poke your fun at Hatfield when he’s in the room. However, I will make this clear. I am intent on ushering in a fast decline while I am in office.
    Goldwater: All very well and good Ron. But there are always other ways to handle this than just nuclear deterrence. Now I know all here have read Conscience (mild laughter), but what I’m suggesting is a funneling of every Soviet enemy on the ground we have inward, against the center. The Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. Pushing Iran against Soviet backed Iraq. Increase tensions between China and Russia. Hell, the CIA’s been getting despite what they did in Iran. (strange looks from the other members of the conversation) Hell! Everyone in this room knows what Kennedy had the CIA do for the Shah. Let’s not pretend here. The point I’m making, is that the closer to actually fighting we get without the danger of nuclear weapons, the quicker of a decline we’re going to be creating. Not to get away from the principles of the “New Look” (glances towards Eisenhower), but there are other ways to heighten the Cold War.
    Reagan: Understood. This will, of course, be worked on a lot more in-depth in meetings with the CIA and the Deputy Secretary of Defense and so forth. Good meeting.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #806 on: November 27, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »

Another list of the Presidents, Because

35. Richard M. Nixon (1961-1965)

36. John F. Kennedy (1965-1973)

37. Spiro T. Agnew (1973-1974)

38. George H. W. Bush (1974-1977)

Robert F. Kennedy (1977-1981)

40. Ronald Reagan (1981-?)
ask_not
donavan_ed
Rookie
« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Have ted Kennedy be president in 1992  and defeat Bill Clinton for the nomination.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #808 on: November 30, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »

Have ted Kennedy be president in 1992  and defeat Bill Clinton for the nomination.
At this point, another Kennedy looks highly unlikely...and thank God!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #809 on: November 30, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »

The Kennedys at this point aren't eyeing the Presidency. Bobby has tarnished the name so to speak.  His Presidency marked by scandal, a rough economy, and a war he pledged to end continuing into the middle of his last year in office, Bobby has no plans on running for another term in the future and Ted's best hopes lie in a fruitful career in the Senate, where he shall remain. For now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #810 on: November 30, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »

Nice painting of Spiro. Gubernatorial portrait perhaps?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 09:24:46 PM by Aunt Nancy »

"It is to me a mystery why I am the one tasked with writing this book on Ronald Reagan. Perhaps it is our twelve years of service in the Senate. However, we were at times uneasy allies. He a staunch and proud Conservative of the Barry Goldwater wing, and I, a conciliatory centrist whose job it was to sadly moderate some of his proposals. However, we were friends, he and I, and when he was swept into office in 1980, I couldn't have been any gladder to work as Senate Majority Leader under his command. Reagan's, or Ron's if I may, is a story I have at times been entirely in awe of. I came from politics. My father was a Congressman from Tennessee. My father-in-law, the father of my first wife, was Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen. After leaving the Senate, I would marry Nancy Landon Kassebaum, not only a three-term Senator from Kansas, but as well the daughter of Alf Landon, the 1936 Republican Presidential nominee. I was a born and raised Republican. Ron on the other hand, though his father had been politically active, never had any intention of going into politics. Nor was it "in his blood". He wanted to become an actor, a speaker, someone who could command the audiences. In the end I guess, he became both a performer and a politician. However, that was never his intention. Instead, he become a Hollywood rising star. He was born a Democrat and had supported Harry Truman in 1948. It would only be with Richard Nixon's election in 1960 that Reagan would enter politics. Appointed Commerce Secretary due to his work with General Electrict, four years later Ron would be a Senator serving alongside Barry Goldwater, Everett Dirksen, Hugh Scott, and two years later, myself. I a born politician and he a made politician, one could always expect a good brawl for the heart and soul of some pieces of legislation. However, it was always friendly and never turned sour, such as the sad crumbling relationship between Nixon and Reagan for example, which deteriorated following Goldwater's 1964 attempt to unseat the incumbent Nixon.

Our opposing styles would clash in the much remembered Republican primaries of 1980. Sadly for my candidacy, despite the backing of Nixon and several members of the Establishment, I would be caught between two dedicated idealists and two former colleauges. Mark Hatfield and Ronald Reagan, both candidates in primaries previous, would be facing off for the heart and soul of the party. Hatfield led the upper West and the North-East while Reagan had the South-West, the South, and some of the industrial states. Despite the titanic clash, there would never be a true victory for either side until four years later. Instead, Hatfield joined Reagan on the 1980 ticket and here we sit. Sweeping into the Presidency with over fifty percent of the popular vote in a three-way race, Reagan represented a sweeping change to the "Centrist Decades" of the fifties, sixties, and seventies which had been ruled over by Eisenhower Republicans and Kennedy Democrats. Instead, Reagan aimed for a revolution. It was a revolution the Gipper would sadly never live to see.

Reagan, and his Administration, was rearing and ready to begin the change of power upon entrance into the White House. Sitting down some of the great Republican policy wonks, as well as even a few Democrats including Louisiana's indispensable Russel Long, Reagan was determined to have one solid piece of legislation to hand over to Congress for approval. One single act with which he could slowly erase the years of stagnation that would soon lay thankfully behind us. As well, the debate about the bill would not be closed. Vice-President Hatfield, a man whom many predicted would only serve as a political instrument used to attract Libertarians, Liberals, and Centrists to the party, would be one of the biggest administrators as to the bill's reconstruction. He didn't want some programs to be cut, but he knew that the economic and financial woes of the nation came first and that, following a recovery, many of the programs he would rather be defending wouldn't be as necessary.

President Reagan with Vice-President Hatfield and two Republican Congressmen

The Economic Recovery and De-Regulatory Act of 1981, the center-piece of Reagan's first one hundred days and his plans for the recovery, was a hard fight to say the least. It take the political firepower of the White House, the Vice-Presidency, and my own office to slowly keep the moderates in line and, following that, to reach and cajole moderate Democrats of every stripe over to our side. In the House, the job was much more difficult. Donald Rumsfeld, elected House Minority Whip, faced quite a tough job and it took many rides in Air Force One and consultations between moderate Democrats in order to finally pass the bill. A major aim of some members of the Administration was to attach as little "pork", as it was termed, to the bill as possible. In a private meeting between Treasury Secretary Cap Weinberger and Senate Minority Leader Robert Byrd (a man dubbed by our side as the "King of Pork"), Cap spoke plainly, "our goal is  more balanced budget, not a less balanced one", and so the fight would continue. However, on March 3rd, the White House could shout the triumphant cry of "Success!" as it passed through the House of Representatives. This was the first of the Gipper's triumphs as President and sadly, it would be the only one of notability, thanks to the work of one man."
-Howard Baker, introduction to Reagan, ©2011

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #812 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »

Not sure. Has to be either that or Vice-Presidential. Found it thanks to Google Images. Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to provide portraits for some of the future Presidents thanks to a lack of paintings of them, though there must be something.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #813 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

Not sure. Has to be either that or Vice-Presidential. Found it thanks to Google Images. Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to provide portraits for some of the future Presidents thanks to a lack of paintings of them, though there must be something.

Does Vice President gets official portraits? All I know for sure they're getting Senate busts.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »

April 30th, 1981
On the one-hundredth day of his Presidency, President Ronald Reagan has chosen to speak at the University of Virginia, the college originally founded by the third President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. His speech, concerning mostly the principles of liberty and America's founding, was well received by the attendees. He is now exiting the building. Here he comes now!

President Ronald Reagan wades through the crowd of reporters, flanked by the Secret Service on either side, making sure to protect the nation's fortieth President. Meanwhile, the reporters mob him for statements on various issues, including the on-going issue of the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, as well as the current state of the economy and Reagan's effect on it.
    Reporter: Mr. President! How do you react to Treasury Secretary Weinberger's comments on the needed cuts in order to close the deficit?
    Reporter 2: Do you plan on meeting with the Soviets on arms control talks?
    Reporter 3: Mr. President! Over here! What do you make of George McGovern's comments on your administration?
    Secret Service Agent: The President doesn't have time for questions now. If you want to ask them, ask them at a press conference.
    Someone: Mr. President! **BLAM** **BLAM**
    Secret Service: He's hit!
                               Get the gun, get the gun!
                               Rawhide is down! I repeat, Rawhide is down!

The shooter is quickly dis-armed and toppled. Meanwhile, Secret Service agents rush Reagan into the limousine, taking him to the closest medical facilities. In the next few minutes to follow as Reagan is rushed into the hospital, Vice-President Hatfield is notified...
    Secretary: Mr. Vice-President, it's Edwin Meese on the phone.
    Hatfield: What is it now? I don't need this right now... Hello?
    Meese: Uhm, Mr. Vice-President, have you turned on your TV?
    Hatfield: No...? (Hatfield walks across the small home office to the television set, turning it on to see news of Reagan's shooting breaking.
    Meese: The President's been shot. We have no idea how it'll end up. We need you in the White House. We have a helicopter prepared to take you there.
    Hatfield: I'll be right there.
    Meese: We'll be expecting you on the South Lawn.
    Hatifeld: No. Only the President lands on the South Lawn.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #815 on: December 02, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »

Have you read Rawhide Down by any chance? Very good book Smiley. Great update. I cant remeber if any assassinations have taken place so far, but I remeber RFK was shot at one point in time. Ill have to reread parts of this epic timeline Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #816 on: December 03, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »

Have you read Rawhide Down by any chance? Very good book Smiley.
No, I haven't. I'm guessing it's about "What if Reagan was assassinated?"

Thanks! Agnew was shot at on July 4th, 1973, by Arthur Bremer. He was in the hospital and Bush was made Acting President for a few weeks. It was alluded to that both Nixon and JFK had numerous assassination attempts against them though obviously none succeeded. I don't remember having RFK shot at however.

ALSO: Expect the next eight years or so to hopefully move more quickly than RFK's term. I don't like to go through these pace changes, but I'm hoping to combine both a quicker story line, and the idea of getting the "feel" that said individual, in this case Reagan (or not?) is President before moving into an election.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #817 on: December 03, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »

Have you read Rawhide Down by any chance? Very good book Smiley.
No, I haven't. I'm guessing it's about "What if Reagan was assassinated?"

Thanks! Agnew was shot at on July 4th, 1973, by Arthur Bremer. He was in the hospital and Bush was made Acting President for a few weeks. It was alluded to that both Nixon and JFK had numerous assassination attempts against them though obviously none succeeded. I don't remember having RFK shot at however.

ALSO: Expect the next eight years or so to hopefully move more quickly than RFK's term. I don't like to go through these pace changes, but I'm hoping to combine both a quicker story line, and the idea of getting the "feel" that said individual, in this case Reagan (or not?) is President before moving into an election.
Rawhide Down is actually a second by second account of the Reagan attempt, and the following days. Very detailed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #818 on: December 03, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »

April 30th, 1981 (continued)
The Presidential limousine, upon reaching the hospital, is greeted by several doctors and nurses with a stretcher. Hefting President Reagan onto the stretcher, he is rushed inside while a nurse shoves an oxygen mask on him. Before accepting the oxygen mask, Reagan keeps his sense of humor.
    Reagan: I hope you're all Republicans **cough**
    Doctor: Today, Mr. President, we are.

At the White House, White House Chief of Staff Edwin Meese sits in the Oval Office with all the members of the President's staff and cabinet that are on hand at the time. Among them are advisor Pat Buchanan, aide Karl Rove, N.S.A. John Eisenhower, and others. Meese, not daring to sit in Reagan's chair, opts to lean on the front of his desk, staring down the blaring television set and taking calls while the majority of the room is fixated on the T.V.
    Meese: Okay, that'll do.
    Rove: What was it?
    Meese: Hatfield should be here in five.
    Buchanan: Should the... the unthinkabel, uh, were it to occur, is Chief Justice Byron White on his way? Do any of us have a Bible and the Oath memorized?
    Meese: No, Byron White is not on his way. He will be soon... And don't think like that. This is Reagan. This is the Gipper. He could probably take more than that college kid Kennedy could. Imagine if his frail body had to take those bullets. He'd be out in a second.
    Buchanan: As usual, you're right... Damn it, this is getting to me! How are we supposed to sit around here helplessly?
    Eisenhower: We have to. We're not medical professionals. We're not secret service agents. This isn't our place.
    Meese: **Shh!** the TV!
    Television: ...Doctors are still saying that Reagan's fate is at best unforseeable. He will likely have to participate in a risky operation that could be the thing to save his life.
    Meese: **Sigh** This is awful. Anyway, in case he's needed, I'm getting Byron White on the phone.

Buchanan crosses himself. Meanwhile, outside, Marine One, carrying Vice-President Hatfield, touches down, though not on the South Lawn. Secret Service Agents rush to get him inside. Hatfield quickly departs the helicopter as it lands, running into the group of four agents.
    Agent: Mr. Vice-President!
    Hatfield: What is it Dan?
    Agent: We're here to escort you to the Oval Office!
    Hatfield: Who's there?
    Meese: The staff and some members of the cabinet!
    Hatfield: Take me there!

Hatfield is rushed inside, through hallways, and into the Oval Office. There, he meets the group that seems to be the closest thing to what's been trying to run the nation for the last thirty minutes.
    Secret Sevice Agent: Ladies and Gentlemen, the Vice-President of the United States.
    Hatfield: Ed, how've things been going?
    Meese: No idea. We're in contact with some agents down at the hospital. Byron White is on his way, well, in case, well if he's needed. Reagan's going to have to take a risky operation if there's any hope.
    Hatfield: This is awful.
    Buchanan: What I said.

"I still remember that day. That horrible day. As I, a member of the White House staff, sat watching the news for any new clues in the Oval Office as Ed Meese handled the phones and tried to get any piece of information he could, Hatfield arrived. I will never forget what he did. After hearing all the we knew which was practically nothing, he decided to go into the adjacent room and pray. I remember seeing that photo in a book a few years later. Hatfield on his knees, praying as hard as any man could. Titled "The Unanswered Prayer" by the history fanatics, I'm not surprised I haven't seen it in a history book, though I have seen it in Life. One of the most heart-wrenching pictures for any of us who were there that day. It all makes you wonder, what if Reagan had only been an inch to the Left or an inch to the Right?"
-Courage and Consequence, Karl Rove, ©2009
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #819 on: December 03, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »

The Unanswered Prayer?...oh-oh.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #820 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »

Great update. Looks like Ronnie may not make it. This is currently my favorite TL, keep up the good work.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #821 on: December 03, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »

Great update. Looks like Ronnie may not make it. This is currently my favorite TL, keep up the good work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #822 on: December 03, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »

Thanks y'all! Smiley There'll probably be another update tonight. In the meanwhile, are there any questions you want to ask about characters in this timeline's "universe"?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #823 on: December 03, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »

Whats Ron Paul been up to as of late, and how is JFK and Jackie doing?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #824 on: December 03, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »

Whats Ron Paul been up to as of late, and how is JFK and Jackie doing?

Ron Paul was elected to his fourth term in the House in 1980. He was a possible Vice-Presidential pick in 1980, but Reagan went with Hatfield. He's thinking about running for Governor of Texas in 1982. It depends on whether two-term incumbent Lloyd Bentsen retires or not.

The original Kennedy is very ill. His Addison's seems to have caught up with him and he remains tucked away in Hyannis Port. A very effective Kennedy media machine has been able to keep Jack's marital troubles from the sixties and early seventies under wraps, though Jacky is fully aware of them.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies