A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:00:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288189 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:55 PM »

This thread is really having a horrible time of the bump.  This bump is LOUDER and scarier than all it's had before.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »

What about my favorite latter-day DINO, Joe Lieberman?  Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »

You can find this in the 1980 congressional results, he was elected to Congress form CT in 1980. In RL he ran and lost.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #903 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »

You can find this in the 1980 congressional results, he was elected to Congress form CT in 1980. In RL he ran and lost.

Thanks, it's just that I haven't read any of this twice, and I haven't heard much about him since Wink. Chris Dodd?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #904 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »

Thanks, it's just that I haven't read any of this twice, and I haven't heard much about him since Wink. Chris Dodd?

Well I'm not updating on everyone and not everyone is out just partying like Mark Hatfield and Jesse Helms get to do. Not sure on Chris Dodd. I'll have to check my Senate results, read a bit on his career, etc.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »

...And it looks like he was elected to the Senate in 1980.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »

I smell an attempted bid at majority leader, and more party variation (ex. liberal republicans and conservative democrats) as this TL goes on.  Update please Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #907 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

I smell an attempted bid at majority leader, and more party variation (ex. liberal republicans and conservative democrats) as this TL goes on.  Update please Wink

We shall see. Wink You actually guessed earlier how it'll probably turn out.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #908 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

Well whatever you have in store, the suspense is killing me!  Update please WinkCheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #909 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2012, 08:04:19 PM by Cathcon »

"It was in 1982 that Hatfield really came into his own as a leader, and I think those first steps--ranging from careful to outright near political suicide--are what led him to become the leader we still revere today, even to the point of making him out to be far more than even he was."
-2011 interview with Secretary of Health and Human Services Howard Dean (R-VT)

April 5th, 1982
Inside the Oval Office, Secretary of Defense John Warner meets with his President and employed, President Mark Hatfield. Sitting in the chair to the right of Warner is Vice President Barry Goldwater.
    Hatfield: Sit down John. If things go the way I'd like, this will prove an important meeting, not only for the administration, but for our nation's military.
    Warner: [taking his seat] Sure. What's going on?
    Hatfield: As you may very well be aware, during my career in the Senate, I pushed hard for civil liberties of all sorts and for things ranging from gay rights to the end of the death penalty.
    Warner: Uh-huh...
    Hatfield: Now, you two have both served in the military with distinction. You, John, have served as Secretary of the Navy for nearly six years and you both have served as Secretary of Defense. With the experience you two have, I'd like to know: would it be possible to allow homosexuals to serve openly in the military?
[Warner stares in stunned silence as Vice President Goldwater quickly recovers from the shock]
    Goldwater: Well, it's always been my opinion that you don't have to be straight to be in the military, you just have to shoot straight. Now I can't say I've had very many experiences with gays, or even any at all, but in all my years, as a soldier, as a Senator, as a Secretary Defense, I have to say: why the Hell shouldn't they be able to serve?
    Warner: [recovering] Uh... Well, I can't say I'd really have a problem with it, though I can't say I've ever really thought about it either. I'd have to think about this and talk with other members of my staff and my department. As well, Eisenhower should probably be brought in on this. This would be a big move. And before anything happens, you should definitely scout out allies in Congress. This is a bold decision and should my department finally decide to go through with this, I'd be proud to be part of it.
    Hatfield: I'm glad to hear that. In my opinion, every person has a right to serve their country and their lifestyle choices shouldn't detract from that. This may become one of the most important civil rights issues since 1969.

"The proposal of having gays serve openly in the military took me completely by surprise. Hell, I didn't know it was even an issue until that meeting. However, I went back to my department, and I decided to take the President's side on the issue. Was there opposition. Of course. However, most of it came from a number of entrenched bureaucrats within the department and a couple generals that had been in the brass since Nixon's time. From what I heard from troops and lower level leaders, and from civilian members of my staff, we could agree that this could go through. I myself was cautious and not really mentally prepared for the idea. However, reporting back to the President three weeks later, the go-ahead was given. It became somewhat surreal, seeing him at the press conference two days later, and when Paul Tsongas proposed the final bill in the House in June, I'd finally gotten used to the idea. Passing that thing was a wild ride though."
-Interview with former Senator John Warner (R-VA) for the Hatfield Project

"It is with great pleasure that I announce I am running for a third term for Governor of the State of New York. While the last seven years have accomplished much in the way of reform, efficiency, and helping the average New Yorker, there is still far too much to be done. As well, I hope this ends discussion over the idea that I run for President in 1984. I have no intentions of doing so and am quite happy here in New York."
-Governor Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY), seeking re-election [May 11th, 1982]

April 29th, 1982:
Hatfield: Gays to serve
openly in US Military

"My role in the passage of what became popularly known as the Civil Rights Act of 1982 became my greatest achievement of my somewhat lackluster career in the House, up to that point. It boosted my visibility in the House and gave me a relationship with the President, a relationship, I think, that was what mainly drew me into switching to the Republicans four years later. With my national profile raised, many were discussing me as a potential candidate for Senate two years from then. With popular Senator Elliot Richardson, a liberal Republican, announcing he would be stepping down, I was discussed as a front-runner for 1984."
-1991 Interview with Senator Paul Tsongas (R-MA)

"**Sigh** I still consider my efforts to stop the so-called Civil Rights Act of '82 one of my biggest failures in the Senate. That doesn't mean, however, that we won't keep pushin' and working' 'til the job is done. Hatfield's plans, through and through, will be repealed in the Helms Presidency."
-Senator Jesse Helms (D-NC), during Democrat Party Debate [January 30th, 1984]

June 23rd, 1982
1982 CRA Passes! Hatfield
proclaims 'Triumph for Liberty'
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #910 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

Should be a nice l'il boat rocking update for ya.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »

Should be a nice l'il boat rocking update for ya.

Thanks for updating!  So many people neglect to note that dean was a Republican in the 60's, and the slightest butterfly could send him back into the GOP's corner.  He'd be a Hatfield Republican, but a libertarian leader in the party IMO
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: March 31, 2012, 12:47:59 AM »

Thats what I said!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #913 on: March 31, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

I have an update in the works.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #914 on: March 31, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »

Holy greasy balls, by the Gods, thank God!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #915 on: March 31, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 07:18:06 PM by Ambassador-Designate Cathcon »

"The passage of the CRA set the tone for the upcoming 1982 elections. While in 1980, the Democrats had been set light years backwards in comparison to the majority they had when Robert F. Kennedy entered office, my party's own power was precarious. Eleven gains in the Senate had been made in 1980, putting the Republican party at a fifty-two seat majority. The resignation of Barry Goldwater left us with fifty-one seats to our name by the time 1982 came around. Of course, referring to party dominance in terms of mere numbers is useless in this game, especially with the presence of two Conservative Senators (Jim Buckley of New York and Harry Byrd Jr. of Virginia) and one Liberal Senator (Jake Javits, also of New York). With the complexities of the party makeup on both sides of the aisle, coalitions formed on the basis of each piece of legislation to come forward. In short, however, we were left with fifty-one seats that November. The Democrats had forty-six, the Conservatives had two, and the Liberals had one. With the partisan and ideological media machines warmed up and humming following the debate over the CRA, they were ready to launch into the mid-term election frenzy."
-Against the Grain, Mark Hatfield, ©2000

"After my year in the Senate, I suddenly found myself facing re-election. My short time in the body had been a rough and rowdy one, and I had made local and national head-lines more than once. However, in all my time digging up arguments with my colleagues, I had done little to ingratiate myself with my newly adopted home state. So between September and November, I wound my way back towards Arizona and my constituency. Going on a whirl-wing campaign tour, I used my status as incumbent to my advantage, meeting with nearly every major local figure in Arizona in a matter of weeks, and a few Republicans too. By November, I was surprised to only have roughly a two-point lead over my opponent, Phoenix Mayor Margaret Hance. Despite my using every advantage I had, Margaret Hance was a charismatic campaigner and her record as Mayor of Arizona's largest city and had the backing of a large amount of Arizona's wealthy Republicans. When election night came, I survived by the skin of my teeth and with less than fifty percent of the vote once again. That, thankfully, would be the last time that ever happened to me."
-Faith of my Fathers, John S. McCain III, ©1999

"The Open Primary was scheduled for August 25th. Campaigning against a slew of candidates, I had the obvious advantage among the field. I was not only known statewide, but nationally. I had served the state for twelve years in the Senate and before that had served in the State House. With my status as one of the leading Democrats in the state, polls showed my consistently leading the majority of my opponents, and all of the Democrats. Of course campaigning in Alaska, especially with fall coming, was never the enjoyable experience it would probably be in Florida around that time of the year, but then again, I didn't move up to Alaska so I could be in Florida. Driving through along the snow covered highways and plodding towards campaign events, I was working the hardest I had since 1968 when I was first elected to the Senate. Nevertheless, it looked like things were paying off as, despite the efforts of my opponents, I maintained my lead in the polls all the way to election day. On September 25th, I came in first out of the fifteen or twenty on the ballot and was officially the Democratic nominee for Governor of Alaska, with my largest opponent being salesman and business person Bill Sheffield. I found myself facing the second place finisher that night, Republican Speaker of the Alaska State House Tom Fink, as well as the Libertarian and other third party candidates."
The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, ©1996

"Well, on a  return trip to Texas in the winter of 1981, I heard a big rumor going around, the type you don't just ignore, that Governor Lloyd Bentsen was retiring. With that, Republicans were thinking of running an actually credible candidate that year for Governor. Some people asked me, and well, I thought about it and I said the usual "maybe". When in February, I think, it became official, then people in the party were really looking for a candidate, even thinking of asking former President Bush or his son to run for the slot. However, neither of 'em did, and eventually, after talking with Carol and the rest of my family, I decided that I had done some great work in the House, but now it was time to really go back to my adopted home state and help them out. So in May, I officially announced. Eh, I was nominated easily enough, and my opponent was, if I recall, former Congressman Kent Hance, who I easily beat in the general and there I was, Governor of the Lone Star State."
-1987 interview with Texas Governor Ron Paul (R)

1982 United States Senate Results

Republicans: 50 (+/-0)
Democrats: 48 (+1)
Conservatives: 1 (-1)
Liberals: 1 (+/- 0)

Notable Senate Races
Arizona: Senator John S. McCain III is re-elected by a very close margin against Republican opponent, Phoenix Mayor Margaret Hance.
California: Senator Barry Goldwater Jr. is elected to his second term in the Senate.
Connecticut: Brother of former President George Bush, Prescott Bush Jr., is elected to the Senate as a Republican.
Maine: With Senator Edmund Muskie retiring, Republican Congressman David F. Emery is elected.
Michigan: With the retirement of Senator Lenore Romney (R) who took over after her husband left office in 1976, the race goes to Democrat Sanders M. Levin. The state is now represented solely in the Senate by the Levin brothers.
Minnesota: Democrat Mark Dayton, a protege of Senator Walter Mondale, is himself elected to the Senate.
Nevada: Senator Paul Laxalt loses re-election in a close race against former Senator Harry Reid who was defeated two years ago.
New York: Senator James L. Buckley is elected, in a surprise, to a third and final term, winning with just  48% of the vote in a multiple-candidate race.
Texas: Senator James Baker just barely survives re-election against former Governor Dolph Briscoe.
Virginia: With Senator Harry F. Byrd, Jr., retiring, Secretary of Defense and 1978 Senate candidate John Warner is able to win by a comfortable margin against the Democratic Lieutenant Governor.

Other Notable Races
Alaska: Having made it to the final round, former Senator Mike Gravel is nonetheless defeated in his race for Governor of Alaska.
California: Incumbent Governor Pete Wilson is elected to his first full term. He first came to office with the resignation of then-Governor Reagan in 1980.
Connecticut: Congressman Joseph Lieberman is re-elected to his second term in the House of Representatives.
New York: Democrat Governor Daniel Patrick Moynihan is re-elected with 60% of the vote against Republican opponent and 1980 Senate candidate Al D'Amoto. Meanwhile, former Mayoral candidate Rudolph W. Giuliani (D) is elected to the United States House of Representatives.
Texas: Congressman Ronald E. Paul (R) is elected Governor of Texas following incumbent Governor Lloyd Bentsen's (D) retirement. In Congressional races, Republicans George W. Bush and H. Ross Perot are re-elected by good margins.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #916 on: March 31, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »

For the Record
1980 Republican Primary popular vote map

Blue-Governor Ronald Wilson Reagan of California
Green-Senator Mark Odom Hatfield of Oregon
Red-Senator Howard Henry Baker Jr. of Tennessee

1980 Democratic Primary popular vote map

Red-President Robert F. Kennedy of Massachusetts
Green-Former Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #917 on: March 31, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

December 6th, 1982
Who's Next?

"Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend didn't always have it right when they wrote "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", and many believe that's what the Democrats will be trying to prove as the first half of the Presidential term comes to an end and the next two years will be spent building up towards one night in November of 1984. With Hatfield poised as probably the most popular Republican incumbent since Eisenhower, even with the economic stagnation and slow recovery, he may prove hard to beat. Already he has shown his prowess in dealing with Congress and with foreign powers and he very well be may in for a land-slide re-election of his own. Since President Kennedy's defeat, a number of Democrats have emerged as being among the party's new leaders, perhaps for the next twenty years or so. Those include Senator Jim Folsom Jr. of Alabama, Senator Jerry Brown of California, and of course the unforgettable Jesse Helms of North Carolina. Though these three are hardly all in the same boat ideologically, they are in the same boat, party-wise. As the year ends and we speed through 1983, one or all of these may very well be throwing their hats into the Presidential ring. We review these and more as we look at the crowd of which Hatfield's 1984 challenger may likely come.

Jesse Helms has made a name for himself since his entry into the Senate in 1973. Despite being allied with Presidents Agnew and Bush on a number of issues, over the last six years--since 1976--he has positioned himself instead as the leader of the Southern Democrats. Most notable in the past year-and-a-half for being the most vocal opponent of any number of President Hatfield's objectives, he may very well be the man Dixie hoists on its shoulders to run for President. The most objectionable quality about him is race relations. Despite the fact that North Carolina has a considerable number of African-Americans, Helms has focused on rallying Southern whites instead and is the enemy of many local Democrats in his homestate because of this. With the era of arguing over Civil Rights having seemingly died, his views are looking more and more outdated and bigoted as time passes, and he may even run into trouble in the Southern primaries where the black vote is a large factor.

If Jesse Helms could be called the "mouth" of Southern Democrats, Jim Folsom Jr. is certainly the "brain". While Helms has concentrated on lambasting the President--much to the plea of a majority of Democrats, Folsom has concentrated on putting forth bills to help jobs and infrastructure across the nation and in his home region. As well, he's done what Helms has not, he has combined lower class whites and blacks into one coalition, making him practically unstoppable in races. Focusing on economic issues and issues of abortion and drugs as opposed to Helms' veiled (or sometimes not-so-veiled) racism, he would be a much stronger primary and general election candidate than Helms, as well as likely a much more successful President. If there's one man that has tried to represent the common man in his short time in this body, it's Jim Jr.

Jerry Brown is worlds apart from both Helms and Folsom. While they concentrate on rhetoric tuned to poor and working class Southerners, Brown's populism is in a whole different dimension (and from a whole different planet, according to his detractors). Supported in his home state mainly by young urbanites and the sort, Brown is hardly the typical politician, whether it be Republican, Democrat, what have you. A supporter of Gene McCarthy in 1980, he is nonetheless an economic moderate and is an ardent believe in the issues of fiscal restraint and maintaining low taxes for the middle and lower classes. "What we live in now is an era of limits", the young Senator says to a caucus of young, Western, freshman House Democrats, "and President Hatfield seems to have realized that and his budgets speak for themselves. What we have done is come far too much to rely on government strength and aid. In the last decade, we continually tried to help the economy using government policies and programs and that got us nowhere. In the last two decades we have continually tried to maintain our power against the Soviets by pouring more and more money and more and more troops into conflicts spanning the globe. What we are in is an era of limits, and if the Democrats can't realize that, then they are doomed to lose election after election." While Brown might make sense, not many Democrats seems to share his beliefs and his charisma will not get him as far as he might like in a Democratic primary.

Vice President George McGovern, while discussed as a potential candidate, seems to have been largely dis-credited following his time as Vice President. A leading Progressive Democrat before 1977, he was seen as a leader of the party's liberals in the Senate and himself a potential Presidential candidate in 1972 or 1976. Had Robert F. Kennedy lost, or McGovern not been elected Vice President, he would surely be one of the leading names for the nomination right now. However, George McGovern's Presidential hopes may be no more. Despite this, the Vice President has resumed a regular speaking schedule and has met with a large number of former political allies and even adversaries. He is still greatly admired, but if he believes he could in fact become President, it is likely to be in 1988, not in 1984. Instead, the major Progressive mantle has fallen to the more realistic and currently more popular Walter Mondale. A favorite of Labor (as the name "Minnesota Democratic Farmer-Labor Party" would imply), Mondale may have what it takes to united the warring coalitions in the Democrats. With appeal to the Mid-West and the Rust Belt, his liberal economic stances and moderate foreign policy stances, combined with a support for civil rights may be enough to hold the currently down and out party together for just one round, and that may be enough. Paired with a Southern running mate, Mondale would likely pose a very great threat to Hatfield.

There are of course, numerous other potential contenders. Rhode Island Senator Phillip W. Noel has the chance to be the Northern urban Catholic candidate of the year, just the way Texas Governor Lloyd Bentsen could be the moderate South-Western candidate. However, with Senate Minority Leader Robert Byrd likely not running, most other names likely aren't credible. Mike Gravel might have an outside chance were it not for the fact that the final nail was pounded into his political coffin just a month before with his losing of the Alaska Governor's race. Eugene McCarthy's career as a Democrat is obviously done, and Ted Kennedy wouldn't dare think about being President following Bobby's tenure. Reverend Jesse Jackson could potentially unite the party's black, but none else. It seems the major players in the Democratic field are confined in the ink of what is written above."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #918 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2012, 03:59:50 PM by Jerseyrules »

Dag gummit!  Not D'Amato!  But I guess Governor Ron Paul is a fair trade-off.  Lloyd Bensen is decent too; what's my favorite Massachusetts moderate doing? (The Democrat Wink).  Also, I've developed a softspot for Geraldine Ferraro, so I'd like to see what she and Mario Cuomo, Ed Koch, and Rudy are doing too!  Thanks
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #919 on: April 01, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

Helms vs Hatfield. Now that would make an interesting race.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: April 01, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #921 on: April 01, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

Dag gummit!  Not D'Amato!  But I guess Governor Ron Paul is a fair trade-off.  Lloyd Bensen is decent too; what's my favorite Massachusetts moderate doing? (The Democrat Wink).  Also, I've developed a softspot for Geraldine Ferraro, so I'd like to see what she and Mario Cuomo, Ed Koch, and Rudy are doing too!  Thanks

I knew I was forgetting something! I planned to have Rudy talk about getting elected to the House! I'll edit it in sometime today (maybe).

We shall see. Wink Helms is definitely one of the people I'm considering to be the 1984 candidate.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #922 on: April 01, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

If the Democrats want a hypothetical me to vote the Republicans, then sure.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #923 on: April 02, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »

I really would like to go back to the seventies and write something. Sadly (or gladly) that ship has failed and I have to concentrate on this stuff. I missed my chance to write this tl's version of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #924 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

If the Democrats want a hypothetical me to vote the Republicans, then sure.

It's all part of the process of political re-alignment. Never fear. A number of Conservatives may not know who to support in elections either.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies