A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288203 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »

Helms vs Hatfield. Now that would make an interesting race.

If the Democrats want a hypothetical me to vote the Republicans, then sure.

It's all part of the process of political re-alignment. Never fear. A number of Conservatives may not know who to support in elections either.

[crosses fingers, whispers while fingering rosary] Please make Hatfield vs. Helms, please, please, please, please........[/bring back Gold Democrats]
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #926 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »

Actually, I take it back.  Helms / Ferraro 1988!  Also, did Congressman Ashbrook die as otl?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #927 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2012, 11:24:45 AM by Cathcon »

Actually, I take it back.  Helms / Ferraro 1988!  Also, did Congressman Ashbrook die as otl?

I can promise you that won't be the 1988 ticket. Wink

As for Ashbrook, he served as Attorney General for Agnew and Bush (73-74) but resigned due to the administration's stance on Roe v Wade. He was considered as a potential candidate in 1976 and 1980, but turned down the opportunity. He was also considered for Attorney General in the Reagan Administration. Instead, Robert Taft Jr. took the spot. Ashbrook in turn was appointed to fill the remainder of Taft's term in the Senate. While running for re-election, he suffered his fatal heart attack and the OH GOP eventually nominated a no-name who in turn lost to the Democrat.

John Milan Ashbrook (Republican-Ohio)
-Member of the United States House of Representatives from Ohio's 17th District (January 3rd, 1961-January 3rd, 1973
-66th United States Attorney General (January 20th, 1973-July 19th, 1974)
-United States Senator from Ohio (January 13th, 1981-April 24th, 1982)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #928 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »

Actually, I take it back.  Helms / Ferraro 1988!  Also, did Congressman Ashbrook die as otl?

I can promise you that won't be the 1988 ticket. Wink

As for Ashbrook, he served as Attorney General for Agnew and Bush (73-74) but resigned due to the administration's stance on Roe v Wade. He was considered as a potential candidate in 1976 and 1980, but turned down the opportunity. He was also considered for Attorney General in the Reagan Administration. Instead, Robert Taft Jr. took the spot. Ashbrook in turn was appointed to fill the remainder of Taft's term in the Senate. While running for re-election, he suffered his fatal heart attack and the OH GOP eventually nominated a no-name who in turn lost to the Democrat.

John Milan Ashbrook (Republican-Ohio)
-Member of the United States House of Representatives from Ohio's 17th District (January 3rd, 1961-January 3rd, 1973
-66th United States Attorney General (January 20th, 1973-July 19th, 1974)
-United States Senator from Ohio (January 13th, 1981-April 24th, 1982)

dammit!  Well then Buckley / Taft 88.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #929 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »

Oh, Buckley will be involved alright. Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #930 on: April 06, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »

Oh, Buckley will be involved alright. Wink

I certainly hope so Wink
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #931 on: April 07, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

For the Record
1980 Republican Primary popular vote map

Blue-Governor Ronald Wilson Reagan of California
Green-Senator Mark Odom Hatfield of Oregon
Red-Senator Howard Henry Baker Jr. of Tennessee

1980 Democratic Primary popular vote map

Red-President Robert F. Kennedy of Massachusetts
Green-Former Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota

This is really great stuff, Cathcon. My only question is who were the other candidates in New Hampshire, to get Reagan down to 20%? (Forgive my ignorance.) Flawless work on the primary maps.

Also, thrilled to see Howard Dean as a leading Republican in this timeline. Latte libertarianism at its finest. Smiley

Keep up the good work.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #932 on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »

Thanks man! New Hampshire was a tight race even though Reagan won with a four point margin over Hatfield. Following Hatfield was Baker and then the minor candidates like Rumsfeld and Lindsay (those two mostly) and then Haig and McCloskey came in last.

And Howard Dean being part of the GOP is just part of the grand scheme... Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #933 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »

What's Paul Tsongas doing?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #934 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

Democratic Congressman, sponsored the '82 CRA. I had him running for Senate, but realized that's Ted Kennedy's seat. He'll instead be running in '84 when Elliot Richardson (R) retires.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #935 on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »

I'm considering summarizing 1983 and getting right into 1984. Tongue Thoughts?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #936 on: April 09, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »

No input? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #937 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 06:54:12 PM by Ambassador-Designate Cathcon »

January 3rd, 1983:
The 98th United States Congress is sworn in. Among the freshmen are Senators Prescott Bush Jr. (R-CT), Mark Dayton (D-MN), and Sanders M. Levin (D-MI), and Representatives Rudy Giuliani (D-NY-8), and Bill Richardson (R-NM-3)

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary John Warner resigns to take his own seat in the new Congress. He was elected Senator from Virginia last November. He is replaced with, surprisedly, Pete McCloskey. McCloskey is a Republican Congressman from California who served in both the Navy and the Marines, even volunteered in the Vietnam War early on, was awarded medals of valor for his service in Korea, and made his name since the late sixties opposing war. While a number of hawks were vehemently opposed to his nomination, Hatfield's allies in the Senate and the votes of some moderate Democrats allowed McCloskeky to be appointed.

John Warner, the freshman Senator from Virginia

January 31st, 1983:
Reverend Jesse Jackson (D-DC) announces he is running for President, making him the first “major” candidate to enter the Democratic field.

February 13th, 1983:
Former United States Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller passes away from a heart attack at his home. Rushed to the hospital from the International Council on Foreign Relations where he was when he suffered the heart attack, he was announced Dead On Arrival by the emergency room doctors. Mr. Rockefeller served his country as a statesman, diplomat, cabinet officer, and four term Governor of his home state of New York.

March 9th, 1983:
Senator Philip W. Noel (D-RI) announces his bid for the 1984 Democratic nomination, attempting to bill himself as "the candidate of labor, small business, and the middle, working America." He receives support, however, only from North-Eastern Catholics.

May 4th, 1983:
With unemployment down, stocks up, and inflation at a decade low, President Hatfield announces his re-election big and declares the economy "officially recovered". The polls seem to agree, as Hatfield's approvals are in the sixties and he is shown beating a number of potential challengers. Following that, it is announced Hatfield will be leaving the States temporarily to meet with the current Soviet leader and continue to negotiate for a much calmer Cold War.

May 16th, 1983:
President Hatfield sits down for the first time with Soviet First Secretary Grigory Romanov. Having taken over since Brezhnev’s death, Romanov presents a glimmer of hope for Hatfield who hopes that dealing with Romanov will yield far more results on the Nuclear Non-Production Treaty currently in the works.

June 7th, 1983:
President Hatfield, in a joint press conference with Attorney General Robert Taft Jr., announces that the Federal Government will be phasing out the War on Drugs.

June 9th, 1983:
Former White House Chief of Staff Edwin Meese, a close friend and assistant to the late President Reagan, makes his first appearance on a talk show condemning Hatfield’s actions in relation to the War on Drugs. “Under President Agnew, the threat of these narcotics and drugs was recognized, and it was decided, through the Justice Department, that extra emphasis would be on halting drug trafficking and stopping this blight upon America. This was continued under George Bush, Bobby Kennedy, and Ronald Reagan. What we have here is Hatfield threatening to allow things like marijuana, heroin, and cocaine go unchecked at the Federal level.”

“The fact was, the War on Drugs was a failure. The last ten years or so it had been a drain on the federal budget and had produced little results. Pouring large sums of federal money and muscle had not helped the drug problem, and you know what they say the definition of insanity is... When the idea was proposed at a cabinet meeting, Bob Taft was all for it, out-lining what his Justice Department had been spending on enforcement, as well as extra effort put in by the FBI and DEA that had yielded nothing to show for it. It was agreed in May that we would be shutting down the War on Drugs and transferring responsibilities to the states, where they were so much better equipped to deal with local problems and decide priorities for themselves. In June, we went public. Edwin Meese, Reagan’s Chief of Staff, proved to be the biggest voice inside the party that was against it. Outside the party, Jesse Helms, gearing up for a 1984 Presidential run, quickly worked to make him the biggest voice of opposition to our plans. Other prominent Democrats who opposed were Rhode Island Senator Phillip W. Noel, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Reverend Pat Robertson, and even Senate Minority Leader Robert Byrd.
   As for Edwin Meese, he quickly found himself booed out of the party as politicians ranging from moderates like Nancy Landon Kassebaum and John Chaffee to the Goldwater duo seemed to agree with the idea. Some party heavyweights such as Howard Baker and Bob Dole had the reserve not to take either side, probably for their own political well being, but the plan did get the public backing of Senate Majority Whip Ted Stevens of Alaska. While the WoD was the product of the executive, in a show of unity, the Senate narrowly passed a resolution welcoming its end, and the House soon followed suit. The House effort, as with the 1982 CRA, was spear-headed by Paul Tsongas who in the process found himself continually alienated by his own party and would soon find himself switching party affiliations.”
-Againt the Grain, Mark Hatfield, 1982

June 11th, 1983:
The sci-fi film "Starkiller", written and directed by George Lucas, is at long last released and move goers rush to the theaters to view what will become hailed as one of the most iconic adventure films of the decade.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #938 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »

July 4th, 1983:
Senator Jesse Helms (D-NC) announces his bid for the 1984 Democratic nomination on Independence Day. President Hatfield is informed by a member of his press team while eating a hotdog and shaking hands with a members of a Veterans of the Palestine War group outside at an event in Washington D.C.

“We’d been waiting for just the moment to announce. My work on the campaign had started in February of that year and by May or June we’d gotten the hang of what we were doing. All that needed to take place was that final step and we’d have Helms be a candidate for President. The controversy of ending the War on Drugs provided the perfect foil for Helms to position himself against. With the controversy beginning to wind down by the end of the Jue, however, it was Helms’ chance to keep in the national spotlight. On Independence Day, with his exploits still fresh in public memory, he announced he was running for President in 1984. We immediately received the endorsements of Strom Thurmond, Larry MacDonald, and a number of other Conservative Democrats. In his mind, there were only two big endorsements left to grab as the campaign rolled on towards the end of the year, those of George Wallace and Pat Robertson.”
-1990 interview with Lee Atwater

July 29th, 1983:
Only barely missing the end of the month, Senator Jerry Brown (D-CA) announces he is running for the Democratic nomination next year. Re-iterating a common theme he’s stressed in a number of speeches, “President Hatfield realizes that we now live in an era of limits. If the Democratic Party can’t do that, then we are doomed to repeated loss on the national level.”

September 12th, 1983:
Paul Tsongas meets with President Hatfield, Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker, Congressman Silvio Conte, House Minority Whip Donald Rumsfeld, and Senator Elliot Richardson. In the meeting, he agrees to switch his party affiliation to Republican in exchange for him to keep his committee assignments and backing in his 1984 bid for U.S. Senate to replace Richardson.

September 13th, 1983:
Congressman Paul Tsongas (D-MA-5) announces that he has officially switched to the Republican party, making it a matter of public record that he is now Congressman Paul Tsongas, (R-MA-5).

October 3rd, 1983:
In a much awaited announcement, Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota makes it official, he is running for the 1984 Democratic nomination.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

October 10th, 1983:
Thanks in large part to the work of the U.S. and President Hatfield (both through covert means and through negotiation), the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan is ordered by Soviet First Secretary Romanov.

October 20th, 1983:
Former Vice President George McGovern, in an interview, makes it official that he will not be running for the 1984 Democratic nomination. “During my time in the public eye, the stress wore on me. My time as Vice President when scandal erupted in the White House and we fought the failed bid for re-election has shown me there are times when you can take breaks. Oh, I’d love to jump right into the race if I felt I was needed, but right now there are a number of good candidates out there that can just as easily champion what I spent my career standing up for.”

November 24th, 1983:
President Hatfield has much to be grateful for this Thanksgiving Day as he has seen domestic and international success since his assumption of the office over two and-a-half years ago.

December 1st, 1983:
End of the year polling shows a large national lead for Senator Mondale as Iowa approaches.

Green-Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota
Red-Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina
Yellow-Senator Jerry Brown of California
Gray-Senator Phillip W. Noel of Rhode Island
Blue-Reverend Jesse Jackson of Washington D.C.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #939 on: April 10, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »

Comments?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #940 on: April 10, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »

Will Hatfield be getting a primary challenge?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #941 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

Will Hatfield be getting a primary challenge?

No, making him the first incumbent President since Dwight D. Eisenhower to not receive one. There's been talk among some Mid-Western and Southern Republicans, but even among some of Hatfield's largest opponents inside his party, it's recognized that he's the best chance to keep Republicans in power and that he's probably the most popular President since Eisenhower as well.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #942 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »

Whoa!  Bill Richardson a Republican!  And Jesse Helms a Democrat!  I mean, they can have Rudy, but I have a certain soft spot for Johnny M.  What about Paul Laxalt?  A certain Texas Governor ladyperson?  Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #943 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2012, 09:18:47 PM by Jerseyrules »

I only thruput Cheesy.  What's Olliver North doing?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #944 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »

Whoa!  Bill Richardson a Republican!  And Jesse Helms a Democrat!  I mean, they can have Rudy, but I have a certain soft spot for Johnny M.  What about Paul Laxalt?  A certain Texas Governor ladyperson?  Wink

Johnny M? Laxalt is a Republican, NV Governor 1967-1971 & NV Senator 1971-1983. Just recently was narrowly defeated for re-election. Ann Richards is, like in RL, a Texas Dem who works on campaigns & whatnot.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »

Kissinger?  Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »

Johnny M? Laxalt is a Republican, NV Governor 1967-1971 & NV Senator 1971-1983. Just recently was narrowly defeated for re-election. Ann Richards is, like in RL, a Texas Dem who works on campaigns & whatnot.

McCain.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #947 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »

McCain.  Please don't tell me reid won.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #948 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

John McCain was re-elected narrowly over a strong opponent. Reid was actually elected in '74 I believe, though if I remember correctly, NV should've been a Republican gain in '80.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #949 on: April 20, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »

John McCain was re-elected narrowly over a strong opponent. Reid was actually elected in '74 I believe, though if I remember correctly, NV should've been a Republican gain in '80.

Laxalt is one of my favorite, uncredited politicians.  He's one of the many forgotten, likable Senators, and a gentle, clean brand of politics of another era entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies