A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:55:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288232 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

"I sat in the Oval Office as my campaign team lounged on the sofas, shouting out names of possible running mates. I wasn't particularly interested as a number were obviously spit-balling and just trying to get their voice in. "Meldrim Thompson!" "Robert McFarlane!" "John Chafee!" "Howard Baker!" "John Tower!" It was only until a number had gone for drinks that a few were left with a couple of unused names that we truly became productive. Talks like this had happened for days and lists had been produced of about fifty possibilities. We were all tired.

"...What about John Heinz?" "The Senator from Pennsylvania? Good grief, we're trying to unite the party, not piss off an entire half of it!" Pat Buchanan, by now only in an advisorial position, quickly shut down Tom McCall's suggestion. "He's young, he's an Easterner, Hell, he's from a state in the damn Rust Belt! That's what we need!" "Yes, but he's not someone who'll convince the Conservative wing to support the President! Plus, he's continually criticized this administration's economic policies!" Pat was rolling now. "Fine, fine. Not Heinz. But seriously Pat, why don't you give any suggestions?" "Fine, I will. What's needed is someone that not only Hatfield can work with, but someone who the Conservative wing doesn't have a shade of doubt about. This person must have an impeccable record of service for his country and his party, be in a good position to take the reigns, should, God forbid anything happen to you, Mark, and have the credentials to say "I will stand up for my country, stand up for its values, stand up for its freedom". That's what's needed." McCall sighed. Deeply. "And where do you get such a dream candidate?" Pat turned away from Tom, focusing on me instead, "Mark, he's right in our very own backyard and served right next to you in this cabinet. I say John Warner."

Warner had been absent from the cabinet since January 1983 when he had resigned to enter the Senate. Already having served as Secretary of the Navy for over five years in three different administrations, he was, of course, mine and Reagan's Defense Secretary for nearly two years. A vocal opponent of my Cold War policies, he was nonetheless one of the most sensible and pragmatic men I'd worked with. As well, he'd served in both World War II and the Korean War. With a good record of foreign policy experience, being an outspoken yet realistic hawk, being adored by some of my more extreme party colleagues due to this, and because I knew I could work with him, he was the ideal choice. "Okay. Call Warner." Of course I wasn't decided just yet, and a host of other names, from then-Texas Governor Ron Paul to Alaska Senator Ted Stevenson, popped up. However, by the time the convention approached and I had spoken with John a lot more, my decision had been made."
-Againt the Grain, Mark Hatfield, ©2000

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1026 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »

Cool.  Please sir may I have some more Wink

Also, what's Phil Gramm up to?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1027 on: June 28, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

RNC, comin' up!

Phil Gramm's a Democratic Congressman from Texas. He's running for U.S. Senate against Republican nominee, two-term Congressman H. Ross Perot whose campaign is financed largely by his own personal fortune. One-term Senator John Tower is retiring. He was considered a possible VP candidate and likely would have been chosen if not for Warner. (I mean really, he'd served in WWII, on the House Armed Services Committee, as Governor and Senator, was a reliable hawk, and had worked in two Presidential cabinets for God's sake. Maybe I should've chosen him. Oh well, too late)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1028 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »

The Republican National Convention, Dallas, Texas (August 20th-August 23rd, 1984)

"When America was attacked in 1941, on that fateful day in December, many young men immediately signed up to help fight overseas for their country. Those men formed a generation of Americans willing to step up for their country, for their God, and for what was morally right. Presidents Bush and Hatfield can attest to that. John Warner too signed up when he was legally able to, and served proudly in the line of duty in both World War II and the Korean War. When he was approached by President Agnew, twelve years ago, to become Navy Secretary, he was surprised. He'd been working for the campaign and earlier in the Pentagon. Nevertheless, as he had done so many years earlier, he took up his duty with pride. The same happened when he was approached to run for Senate in 1978. Though he lost, he waged an incredible campaign in a predominantly Democratic state and only narrowly lost. When President Reagan came to him, just four years ago, asking him to be his Defense Secretary, John Warner once again did his duty and gladly joined the fourth Presidential cabinet he'd served in. Throughout his life, John Warner has had a record of proudly serving his country whenever and wherever he's been asked. Today, we are all proud to ask him one more time to serve his country, by being nominated for Vice President of the United States of America!"
-Senator Paul Laxalt, the nominating speech for Senator John Warner at the 1984 R.N.C.

"When Republicans swept into office, calling for a balanced budget, the Democrats and the media said "It can't be done!" Well, today, we have cut the deficit almost in half of what it was when we entered the White House four years ago! When we decided to make our armed forces completely free from discrimination, critics cried that it would disrupt our military operations. Today, we are as safe as ever. When we decided to meet with the Soviets and discuss long range plans for de-escalation of the Cold War while still making clear we would support the spread of Democracy and freedom, the Democrats in and out of Congress called it impossible. Today, Soviet missile stockpiles are dramatically decreased and America stands proud and strong. That, my friends, is an example of a strong and decisive Republican administration, and  you're going to see a lot more of it in the next four years!"
-Excerpt from Senator John Warner's acceptance speech at the 1984 R.N.C.

"When I assumed the office of President, a little over three years ago, I was in utter shock. The President had just died. Ronald Reagan had stood as a leader of the party since his election to the Senate on what is becoming twenty years ago. While not always in agreement, he was a dedicated member of the body and dedicated to his beliefs. He was also an American statesman who had helped to pass a number of bills that otherwise would have died without his skills as a negotiator. I was left to think that I would be unable to do the job he left. The people had elected him, not me, to the spot of President. They deserved to have him around for four years. Alas, they were left with me. I was left to wonder how to go about passing Reagan's agenda. We had so many times been at odds with each other on the matters of foreign policy. Nevertheless, I proceeded forward to pass the rest of his economic agenda. On foreign policy, I worked to build a stronger America and to bring about a more peaceful world. Since my inauguration, I have met with the leaders of the Soviet Union three times, and with various leaders in Europe and the People's Republic of China. We are closer than ever to an end to the arms race and we are closer than every to ensuring that freedom and Democracy are spread throughout the world. Such was a world Reagan wanted and I've been happy to oblige him [chuckles from audience]."
-Acceptance Speech of President Mark Hatfield at the 1984 R.N.C.

August 24th, 1984
GOP Convention
Nominates
Hatfield/Warner

"Yesterday, the Republicans packed up and left Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas, with their ticket decided. Nominated for President of course was President Mark Hatfield who still possesses a comfortable lead in nationwide polling. Nominated for Vice President was Senator John Warner of Virginia. A veteran of two wars, an attorney, Secretary of the Navy for Presidents Agnew, Bush, and Robert F. Kennedy, Defense Secretary for Presidents Reagan and later Hatfield, and now, since 1982, a U.S. Senator, Warner was judged as a competent and qualified choice for Vice President. A foreign policy veteran both on the front-lines and in Washington, Warner has considerable sway with the party's hawks and will not only unify the Republicans ideologically, but also geographically as he is from the state of Virginia, a Southern border state that has held a record of being a swing state in recent elections.

When looking at who he'll be going up against in the Vice Presidential debate, Warner seems to greatly overshadow Rep. Ferraro in experience and name recognition. Ferraro on the other hand has the appeal of being "fresh" and a historical first. One thing is for sure, the Vice Presidential debate will be one to watch. For the Presidency on the other hand, it is a match-up of two seasoned American politicians. Both Hatfield and Bentsen have considerable experience under their belts going back decades. Both will have to perform significantly on style if they wish to beat the other, and according to political analysts, this gives Hatfield an edge. The first debate is scheduled for October 7th."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1029 on: June 28, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Complaints, Compliments?

Also, Holy Sh#t, I made it to 70. Anyone think I should either give up and summarize the rest, start a new thread, or just stop? This thing is damn big.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1030 on: June 28, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »

keep it up man :-D
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1031 on: June 28, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »

More, more!!!
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1032 on: June 28, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Complaints, Compliments?

Also, Holy Sh#t, I made it to 70. Anyone think I should either give up and summarize the rest, start a new thread, or just stop? This thing is damn big.

Definitely keep going. Looking forward to the election.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1033 on: June 28, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »

Any thoughts on the two tickets? Also, anyone rooting for specific tickets? Also, any questions on 3rd party nominations in case some of you don't feel confident in these two emminently qualified tickets? Wink
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1034 on: June 28, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »

Wow, this has been impressive.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1035 on: June 29, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 12:34:48 AM by Jerseyrules »

This is amazing.  Don't you dare stop now!  Lets get her up to 100 pages!

Who have the libertarians put up this year?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1036 on: June 29, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

Any thoughts on the two tickets? Also, anyone rooting for specific tickets? Also, any questions on 3rd party nominations in case some of you don't feel confident in these two emminently qualified tickets? Wink

I'm hoping for Hatfield to win reelection. The Democrats still seem tarnished from RFK's presidency, which leads me to believe that a Bentsen victory is unlikely.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: June 29, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

I'm quite happy with both, though I'd lean Bentsen (though he really should wait to run for president until he can campaign as the elder statesman.)

Has Hatfield balanced the budget or just cut the deficit?  If not, who have the libertarians nominated?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1038 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »

Just need to revise the year a little. Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1039 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

Did hatfield ever run for president as more than a favorite son?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1040 on: June 29, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

More appropriately, did Hatfield ever run? (Pretty sure I already know the answer)

Hatfield has cut the deficit by more than half from when Reagan first entered office.

Anyway, as for the Libertarians, the ticket is:
Kingswood Township Committeeman Richard P. Siano (L-NJ)/Activist James A. Lewis (L-CT)

There isn't a wikipedia page on Siano, but he was elected a Kingswood Township, New Jersey, Committeeman in a special election in 1981, both in this and in real life. That's according to wikipedia's "History of the Libertarian Party". Any other third party questions?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1041 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »

Please take note that in the debates, especially the VP ones, foreign policy views are going to be shifted slightly due to A) changing parties, and B) the fact that Warner is in a position where he has to defend Mondale's foreign policy and Ferraro is put in a position to attack it. Please keep that in mind.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1042 on: June 29, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »

RNC, comin' up!

Phil Gramm's a Democratic Congressman from Texas. He's running for U.S. Senate against Republican nominee, two-term Congressman H. Ross Perot whose campaign is financed largely by his own personal fortune. One-term Senator John Tower is retiring. He was considered a possible VP candidate and likely would have been chosen if not for Warner. (I mean really, he'd served in WWII, on the House Armed Services Committee, as Governor and Senator, was a reliable hawk, and had worked in two Presidential cabinets for God's sake. Maybe I should've chosen him. Oh well, too late)

Cool!  More please Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1043 on: June 29, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

More appropriately, did Hatfield ever run? (Pretty sure I already know the answer)

Hatfield has cut the deficit by more than half from when Reagan first entered office.

Kingswood Township Committeeman Richard P. Siano (L-NJ)/Activist James A. Lewis (L-CT)

There isn't a wikipedia page on Siano, but he was elected a Kingswood Township, New Jersey, Committeeman in a special election in 1981, both in this and in real life. That's according to wikipedia's "History of the Libertarian Party". Any other third party questions?

So going on a different path even for third parties?  I would never have the patience to wade through all that information!  I salute your superior patience and attention span!  Wink
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1044 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »

This is really well done. Bentsen is a good compromise candidate but I feel that will drive away Democrats (especially Brown supporters) who feel that they were cheated. Hatfield is in a good position to pick up Brown's voting bloc and keep the West shut down for the Republicans.

I have to say: Go Hatfield!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1045 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »

No, but there were still fanfare buttons for him, as there are with many candidates. For instance:

(It is worth noting that some time in the late 60's he appeared with WFB, who as absolutely gushing over him in the introduction saying he'd have been President were he from a state with more clout than Oregon.)

Anyway, what is the status of the Libertarian Party ITTL, insofar as their base and which wing has prominence? Are they distraught neoconservatives like John Hospers and Bob Barr or are they of the Lee Wrights/David Bergland variety? (I can't imagine them as much of a conduit for the cosmo-libertarians like Ed Clark/Gary Johnson.)
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2012, 02:46:13 AM »

What's Dan Quayle up to at this point?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1047 on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »

No, but there were still fanfare buttons for him, as there are with many candidates. For instance:

(It is worth noting that some time in the late 60's he appeared with WFB, who as absolutely gushing over him in the introduction saying he'd have been President were he from a state with more clout than Oregon.)

Anyway, what is the status of the Libertarian Party ITTL, insofar as their base and which wing has prominence? Are they distraught neoconservatives like John Hospers and Bob Barr or are they of the Lee Wrights/David Bergland variety? (I can't imagine them as much of a conduit for the cosmo-libertarians like Ed Clark/Gary Johnson.)

I always thought that interview was interesting, especially considering Buckley wasn't exactly the darling of the Rockefeller Republicans
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1048 on: June 30, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »

1. Y'all talkin' about that one interview in, I think, 1966 or 1967 where Buckley had Hatfield on his show?

B. Well, Jerseyrules, you asked for the Libertarian ticket, so I decided I'd make an alternate one. I myself get tired of reading about activists being the nominees, so I decided I'd use one of their elected officials.

III. Dallasfan, hadn't thought about the makeup of the party. You're right though on the "cosmo libertarians", they're not that much in the folds and anyone you'd identify as one of those would probably be voting for Hatfield. On the issue of the other two factions, distraught Neo-Conservatives and what I guess is more of a Libertarian hard-liner, I hadn't thought that much about the issue seeing as I'm not that deep into Libertarian politics. However, looking at the situation we're at at this point, 1984 with Hatfield being the Republican nominee, I'm gonna say distraught Neo-Conservatives. If these are the type that are more Libertarian domestically and whatnot, they're not gonna be that at home with either party right now. I'm trying to think of an example for 1984 so I can use him (or her?). Given that, the ticket may change. Any suggestions since you seem to be the expert on this?

d) Dan Quayle... Hmmmm.... I'm gonna say he's been a Congressman from Indiana since 1975.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1049 on: June 30, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »

1. Y'all talkin' about that one interview in, I think, 1966 or 1967 where Buckley had Hatfield on his show?

B. Well, Jerseyrules, you asked for the Libertarian ticket, so I decided I'd make an alternate one. I myself get tired of reading about activists being the nominees, so I decided I'd use one of their elected officials.

III. Dallasfan, hadn't thought about the makeup of the party. You're right though on the "cosmo libertarians", they're not that much in the folds and anyone you'd identify as one of those would probably be voting for Hatfield. On the issue of the other two factions, distraught Neo-Conservatives and what I guess is more of a Libertarian hard-liner, I hadn't thought that much about the issue seeing as I'm not that deep into Libertarian politics. However, looking at the situation we're at at this point, 1984 with Hatfield being the Republican nominee, I'm gonna say distraught Neo-Conservatives. If these are the type that are more Libertarian domestically and whatnot, they're not gonna be that at home with either party right now. I'm trying to think of an example for 1984 so I can use him (or her?). Given that, the ticket may change. Any suggestions since you seem to be the expert on this?

d) Dan Quayle... Hmmmm.... I'm gonna say he's been a Congressman from Indiana since 1975.

He needs to rise up the ranks. President Quayle would be badass.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies