Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:48:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why does the left have to create such racist cartoons?  (Read 8544 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:46:49 AM »

Disgusting.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 02:25:32 AM »

I wouldn't call the Ollipant or the Doonsbury racist.  If he caption on the second was "Careful Baldy" it would be a refference to Cheney.

The Danziger clearly is.  What is this "Condi as Mammy?"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 02:31:57 AM »

Because ignorant jackasses like to  perpetuate stereotypes?  Cartoons are one of many mechanisms to do this.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 02:40:39 AM »

I have seen worse ones then this. I have seen cartoons showing condi and colin powell with big lips telling the President, "yes suh". Terrible.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 03:29:59 AM »

I have seen worse ones then this. I have seen cartoons showing condi and colin powell with big lips telling the President, "yes suh". Terrible.

Sounds reasonable to me.  The only proof that Bush resembles 'Massah' is in his policies - personally he doesn't reveal any blatant racism.  I think, however, to identify a politician's character you have to look at his constitutency, and Bush's constitutency is mostly racist.  So to make fun of a minority person for cosying up to a political party that is against their group's interests (and even might be said to represent hatred for their idenity) is - well, quite clever and quite funny.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:07:11 AM »

Sounds reasonable to me.  The only proof that Bush resembles 'Massah' is in his policies - personally he doesn't reveal any blatant racism.  I think, however, to identify a politician's character you have to look at his constitutency, and Bush's constitutency is mostly racist.  So to make fun of a minority person for cosying up to a political party that is against their group's interests (and even might be said to represent hatred for their idenity) is - well, quite clever and quite funny.

Yes, history points to the link to a tolerate, civil rights loving Democratic party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:18:43 AM »

Because ignorant jackasses like to  perpetuate stereotypes?  Cartoons are one of many mechanisms to do this.

True. Some of the cartoons done over here in the '80's were disgusting.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 12:06:44 PM »

Interesting that you base one's identity and interests on their "group."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:09:48 PM »

the third one is definitely racist.  the second has some language that some will, no doubt, find racist.  I'm not seeing how the first one can be construed that way, though.

I like good racist humor, myself.  I'm sure many others do as well, which explains the popularity of South Park, Spike Lee films, political cartoons, etc.

Clearly, they're not as bad as they were at one time.  Take a look at the caricatures of the Jap soldiers in 40s cartoons, sometime.  Now those guys had vision!

I'd agree that the third one crosses the line between good taste and inappropriate racism.  There's an appropriate venue for racism (e.g., comedy central, the cartoon network, HBO, ...), and there are other venues where it isn't appropriate (the morning newspaper, TIME magazine, National Geographic, ...)  I'd like to know where Danziger is publishing.  That makes all the difference, IMHO.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 12:19:46 PM »

You want a racist, intolerant cartoon created by the left? This takes my #1 spot:

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 12:29:37 PM »

Oh, I hope this isn't going to turn into a "I can outdo you" thread.  Seriously, the right has its share of high-quality, hilarious humor as well.  Not just racist, either, there's sexist, racist, ethno-religious, classist, etc. humor floating around out there.  Some of it really funny.  But we've all seen examples and we can discuss it without resorting to a my-side-can-come-up-with-funnier-insensitive-material-than-yours-can contest.

Anyone see Family Guy last night?  Hilarious!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 12:36:53 PM »

...because I'm pretty sure my side can kick your side's ass.  Wink
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 05:13:03 PM »

Yes, it's a left wing conspiracy.  We all get together and create these cartoons.  You might think it was just political cartoonists, who always make fun of the party in power, but you'd be dead wrong.  What do you think was really going on at the DNC?  Nobody can listen to John Kerry for that long.  Obviously we were busy designing our campaign through the disgusting liberal cartoons and media.
cwelsch

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 11:36:55 PM »

You want a racist, intolerant cartoon created by the left? This takes my #1 spot:

I've seen that one before.  I absolutely hate that one, it's despicable.  That's why the far left disproves the best efforts of the Suport Our Troops anti-war Democrats.  The far left mocks them, cheers the insurgents (a la Michael Moore) and thinks it's racist, imperialist and murderous.  It's too bad, the moderate anti-war people were doing a pretty good job staying on message without mocking the troops.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 12:10:01 AM »

The first two aren't really racist.

As for the rest: Idiots with pencils. They're a dime a dozen from any political party.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 03:01:42 AM »

So you were racist until a couple months ago?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 03:33:14 AM »

First one isn't, 2nd queriable, 3rd certainly racist.

If you're going to satirise Condi, don't use her ethnicity as the basis.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 01:43:56 PM »

that one even pissed me off. Ted Rall is probably the only liberal who can cross the line with me, which he previously did with his "Terror Widows" strip.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 02:24:37 PM »

So you were racist until a couple months ago?

I never said I wasn't a racist.  I said that Bush's (and the GOP's) constituency is made up mostly of racists.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 04:38:50 PM »

So, where are the racist right-wing cartoons?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 04:58:53 PM »

So, where are the racist right-wing cartoons?

If Obama runs in 2012, check back then.
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 05:01:46 PM »

*Note: not racist, but annoying propaganda*
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 05:12:17 PM »

Nothing offensive about those cartoons whatsoever. The blacks drawn in those cartoons looked normal. Certain physical features weren't emphasized as in those racist liberal ones.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:24 PM »

I kinda like the first one.  They go downhill after that.

Clever racist humor is welcome.  Lame racist humor sucks, same as all lame humor.  I think that's pretty much the lesson here.

good racist humor:

"Yo, I'm so white that during the riots I went out and bought a T.V."
     --Bobby Hill

lame racist humor:

"white people have skinny asses."
     --Budasac

see the difference?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »

why is racist humor so damn funny?