KY Senate, 2008 vs. 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:08:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY Senate, 2008 vs. 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY Senate, 2008 vs. 2010  (Read 989 times)
Shilly
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:02:36 AM »

I made this map out of sheer curiosity. It shows the relative performances of Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, in '08 and '10 respectively. Paul outpaced McConnell in the blue counties and vice versa in the red ones.

Analysis is very welcome.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »

I thought Conway would be a better candidate than mongiardo. I was wrong, mongiardo could have picked some votes in the most rural areas (conservadems finally voted for paul over conway =[ )
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »

I'm kind of surprised that Paul did better than McConnell in Mitch's home of Jefferson County (Louisville).  Probably it has been so long since he was the County Judge (executive) there that new, younger voters don't recall him at all.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »

I'm kind of surprised that Paul did better than McConnell in Mitch's home of Jefferson County (Louisville).  Probably it has been so long since he was the County Judge (executive) there that new, younger voters don't recall him at all.

Well, it's only about a 0.2% difference, and Paul's margin of victory statewide was about twice that of McConnell.
rbt48

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »

I thought Conway would be a better candidate than mongiardo. I was wrong, mongiardo could have picked some votes in the most rural areas (conservadems finally voted for paul over conway =[ )
Perhaps he could have done better in the rural east.  The Pike County difference is quite emphatic.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

It is surprising that Elliott County did considerably better for Paul than McConnell. I would have thought that Paul's libertarianism wouldn't play well there, though I guess it had more room to swing, and was still Paul's worst county.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »

It is surprising that Elliott County did considerably better for Paul than McConnell. I would have thought that Paul's libertarianism wouldn't play well there, though I guess it had more room to swing, and was still Paul's worst county.

How many voters there actually knew Paul was a "libertarian" icon?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »

It looks like the biggest swing to Paul was in Appalachia, with the swing larger in the coal mining portion thereof. The non coal mining balance of Appalachia in Kentucky is that time warp zone, that was pro Union, and has been hyper GOP every since, including right through the Depression, because at that time, that area was hardly part of the market economy at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies