U.S. Govt Seizes 70+ Domain Names, Shuts Down Websites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:42:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Govt Seizes 70+ Domain Names, Shuts Down Websites
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: U.S. Govt Seizes 70+ Domain Names, Shuts Down Websites  (Read 2403 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »

U.S. Government Seizes BitTorrent Search Engine Domain and More

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is quite a frightening development in the growth of the police state. Note the exceptionally aggressive posture of the eagle on the center badge. They're coming for you.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »

If I were an intellectual property enforcement agent, I'd feel pretty lame unless I had a badass eagle insignia like that.  It's only reasonable.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »

Considering that anybody can easily use those logos (although illegally), is there any solid proof that the government has seized these website?

I mean... the whole "Seized" background just seems like it's made up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:48 AM »

It appears I may be right...

http://www.sdhinteractive.com/blog/2010/11/torrent-finder-uses-homeland-security-site-seizures-to-con-the-web/
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »

<snicker>
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »

Even if that story were true (and that source seems rather dubious itself), all that means is that 1 website copy-pasted the same authentic image used to shut down the other 70 sites for real.

I don't see how that gave you the idea that you were right to claim that the image was "made up".
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »

Libertas will believe anything that's 'bad' about government without any investigation, analysis, context or really any thought at all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »

Even if that story were true (and that source seems rather dubious itself), all that means is that 1 website copy-pasted the same authentic image used to shut down the other 70 sites for real.

I don't see how that gave you the idea that you were right to claim that the image was "made up".

Do we have proof that that image is legitimate?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:33:26 AM »

I mean... give me a link to one website that we know WAS taken down by the government.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 02:03:29 AM »

Do we have proof that that image is legitimate?
I mean... give me a link to one website that we know WAS taken down by the government.

C'mon now, Inks, it's in your own link:

Their whole argument against this one website is that there is something different about it compared to the other 70 that actually were seized by the government- indeed with that same image.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 02:06:27 AM »

I just torrented an album right now, so they must not have done a very good job.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 02:30:35 AM »

I asked you for a specific link to a site that was taken down... I'm not denying they took some down... I just want to seeone of the sites that they took down.  Surely since your sources are so credible, you must be able to find me an example of at least one...
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 02:38:30 AM »

I asked you for a specific link to a site that was taken down... I'm not denying they took some down... I just want to seeone of the sites that they took down.  Surely since your sources are so credible, you must be able to find me an example of at least one...

Once again, I would ask you to please read through links before jumping to conclusions and making accusations. Lunar does not allow us to post full articles anymore, so I have to assume people click and read the links before commenting. This was in the OP. Wink

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 02:41:30 AM »

http://thepiratecity.org/index.html
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »

Once again, I would ask you to please read through links before jumping to conclusions and making accusations. Lunar does not allow us to post full articles anymore, so I have to assume people click and read the links before commenting. This was in the OP. Wink

I'm not accusing... simply asking.

I do have to say... that's a terrible page the government decided to create to do this... it just looks so tacky.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 02:49:12 AM »

So like 2 torrent sites and a bunch of scam sites?  My freedom feels slightly less than threatened.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:52:44 AM »

I asked you for a specific link to a site that was taken down... I'm not denying they took some down... I just want to seeone of the sites that they took down.  Surely since your sources are so credible, you must be able to find me an example of at least one...

I'm not accusing... simply asking.

I do have to say... that's a terrible page the government decided to create to do this... it just looks so tacky.

Government employees tend to lack the self-awareness to realize how ridiculous their costumes and badges really look. Like TSA agents, for example, acting like arrogant tough guys at the airport because of their cheap Made in China badges and costumes.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:33:22 AM »

With the exception of torrent-finder.com, those look like a whole bunch of spam sites where you enter the URL expecting something else, but because you got a letter or the domain messed up it takes you to that site which is like totally useless--and they try to make money off the name.  Now as I understand torrent-finder.com was not actually taken down by the government, but instead they took themselves down pretending to have been taken down by the government to show their solidarity with those other sites.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:41 AM »

And I see nothing wrong with the seizure of illigitimate sites that were breaking the law...
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:02:37 AM »

Just to say one thing... If I were trying to give myself more authority in this realm, going after the illegit sites is the first thing I would do. I'm not going to ban any political forums straight out of the gate. This is one of many areas where the American people need to stay vigilant.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »

Just to say one thing... If I were trying to give myself more authority in this realm, going after the illegit sites is the first thing I would do. I'm not going to ban any political forums straight out of the gate. This is one of many areas where the American people need to stay vigilant.

lol
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »

That's like saying if you were trying to give yourself more authority in the realm of automobile transportation, very baddrivers would be the first people you went after...
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »

I agree entirely! It's the same with the justice system. If I wanted to jail law-abiding citizens locking up the criminals would be the first thing I would do. Then I'd work my way up to innocent people I don't like.

Keep you eyes open America.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »

The site I use (rarely) is still up.  ARRRRGGGGGGGG!

(there is no way to stop this kind of thing)
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

I think you three missed the point.

I'm not saying that is what the government is doing. I'm saying we are giving it the authority to do just that. I'm not making an accusation. I'm only making an observation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies