MA: Mideast Labor Code Statute Revision (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:59:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Labor Code Statute Revision (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Labor Code Statute Revision (Statute)  (Read 8919 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
« edited: December 15, 2010, 10:06:39 PM by Speaker of the Mideast Assembly A-Bob »

The "Mideast Labor Code Statute" is hereby amended to read:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor- Governor tmthforu94
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »

The minimum wage was originally set at $6.20 after working 500 days, $5.50 during the first $400.00. There is also the increase of inflation from the time the "Mideast Labor Code Statue" was passed, so those numbers would be slightly higher. Nevertheless, those amounts are very low for this region, in my opinion. For example, in RL, the unemployment rate in Indiana is at $7.25, and in Illinois, it is $8.25.

I would personally like the amount to be even higher than this, but given the tilt of this Assembly, I know a higher amount would fail (However, if y'all would like to go higher, feel free Cheesy). I have spoken to A-Bob about this bill, and have made several concessions to my original bill, and hopefully a version similar to this can be passed by the Assembly. I look forward to an intelligent and respectful debate. Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »

I would like to point out how high unemployment is in these states with high min wages. Our priority needs to be bringing unemployment down from almost at 9%. That's 1/10 people out of a job. I'd much rather have 10/10 find jobs then a few guys making a few cents more an hour which drives business to other regions with lower min wages when they can pick up and move at the snap of a finger.

The only change in this I will support, is mandating that the GM update on the min wage level change with inflation at a set period of time (say every quarter).

There is no real reason to raise the min wage while it is required to adjust with inflation during a time of recession when businesses are being outsourced left and right.

That is my case against this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »

I don't see the need for 2B; however, if it is kept, it should read "is exempted from part A", since A and B were consolidated.

For Section 3... what's the point of defining any of that if they're not obligated to receive that much?

Section 5, shouldn't we include "related" or some similar word after "any"... otherwise the employer is required to pay for all medical expenses of the employee (arguably indefinitely).

Also, what  were the changes made to the original statute, other than in Section 2?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »

Only the wage was increased
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »

I agree.  The only thing that happened was a raise in the min. wage.  I wholeheartedly support this.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »

Before we discuss what the new min wage should be, I would like a report from the GM stating what the wage IS currently since this bill was made awhile ago and needs to be adjusted with inflation
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »

We at least need to fix Section 5... that was a serious oversight when this was first passed.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »

We at least need to fix Section 5... that was a serious oversight when this was first passed.

Yes, that is true. I support that. However what would be the language for it? How about if they are injured the employer may cover up to (whatever amount is covered by the business' health care provider)?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »

Section 5 is hereby amended to read as follows:

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »

Voting is now open on the following amendment.

[/quote]

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting will last for 24 hours or until every Assemblymember has voted.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »

Aye
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:17:28 AM »

AYE
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2010, 07:34:20 PM by Badger »

Er, maybe I should know this as GM (I plead relative noob status Tongue), but does anyone here know what the Atlasian national minimum wage law is, or if one exists? (I'd be surprised if one didn't, though).

EDIT: Found it! Cheesy

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Reasonable_Minimum_Wage_Act

It would appear that the current national minimum wage is currently $7.25/hour, and has been for over a year. As of the end of 2010 it will be $8.50. Sorry, but any reduction below this level is contrary to federal law and would be struck down in the courts quicker than one could say "gouge the poor".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

Well, the law wouldn't be struck down.  It would just be mainly pointless, unless the Federal law were ever repealed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

Well, the law wouldn't be struck down.  It would just be mainly pointless, unless the Federal law were ever repealed.

From my recollection of statutory construction, unless the law specifically read it was to be enacted upon repeal of federal minimum wage standards, it would be struck down as seeking to affect a change in current law.

So yes, the choices under those circumstances are a bill that either illegal or pointless. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »

Aye.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

From my recollection of statutory construction, unless the law specifically read it was to be enacted upon repeal of federal minimum wage standards, it would be struck down as seeking to affect a change in current law.

So yes, the choices under those circumstances are a bill that either illegal or pointless. Tongue

Well we can vote on the final version after this amendment those. Or just change the wage number to "national law". This amendment is still critical for employeers. Even though not much will happen at all, I still think it's good to review and edit this law, otherwise that piece of the law would have gone unchanged.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »

Voting is now closed. the Amendment has passed.

Aye-4
Nay-0
Abstain-0

Not Voting- True Conservative
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »

I'm going to propose this amendment:

Section 2 is hereby amended to read as follows:

Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »

I am going to play dumb new guy here, but what is the federal min. wage?  While the regional would not be able to be lower, we could always make ours higher.  I only ask, because that would determine whether or not our statute would be legal.   Whether we want a higher one is an economic discussion we can have, but I am simply trying to figure out the issue raised by Badger before voting on the new amendment.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 12:54:20 AM »

I am going to play dumb new guy here, but what is the federal min. wage?  While the regional would not be able to be lower, we could always make ours higher.  I only ask, because that would determine whether or not our statute would be legal.   Whether we want a higher one is an economic discussion we can have, but I am simply trying to figure out the issue raised by Badger before voting on the new amendment.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128565.msg2737081#msg2737081
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128565.msg2737081#msg2737081

Don't know how I did not see that post of yours.  I can be an idiot.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

Well considering tmth even originially had his proposal at pretty much the national wage (before we found out we had this national wage) I think passing this amendment would be in our best interest, which is why I proposed it. This national wage is extremely high, to make it even higher would kill business start ups. This is very just compensation, I will be opposed anything one cent higher in order to save and create jobs in our region with unemployment almost at 9%.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies