How stupid is the American electorate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:00:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  How stupid is the American electorate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: How stupid was the average American voter on November 2, 2010?
Mr. Potato Head

a potato

your pet's favorite toy

an amoeba

Alfred E. Neumann

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: How stupid is the American electorate?  (Read 28391 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
« edited: November 09, 2010, 03:10:24 PM by sbane »

People just want things to get done. If they don't think the party in power is doing it, they will vote them out. And before anyone jumps in and says more laws were passed by this congress than ever before, I would say that that is irrelevant to voters. If you can't show them how you benefit them, or the country, you are done. You can cut taxes for voters, but if you don't talk about it every second, or send them a check with the money, they won't know. It may be great public policy to just add it to your paycheck, but good public policy without good politics loses at the polls.

Does that make Americans stupid? Maybe, but it's not as if their stupidity has a partisan leaning. It was the Democrats who were stupid not to slap the voters across the face with a list of their achievements/ tell them what they have done specifically for them (btw, is this an elitist thing to say, Vepres?). I very rarely heard Democrats mention that now you can't be denied health coverage for pre-existing conditions or that your children can stay on your insurance till you are 26. Those are popular things, but the Democrats never sold it. Actually the Tom Periello race shows you that people like it when you stand up for your convictions. If every Democrat had done that, especially those in more Democratic districts in the Midwest, there might be more of them on capitol hill right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »

A colossal majority of people in most of countries are stupid. Americans have the same share of stupid people, but stupid Americans tend to be more stupid than stupid people in other countries. That's this country's main problem.

Stupid in different ways, I'd say...not more stupid. Look at the Greanpeace idiots trying to block the atomic waste transport in France and Germany...

In terms of stupididity, they don't even minimally come close to the most intelligent of teabaggers.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »

A colossal majority of people in most of countries are stupid. Americans have the same share of stupid people, but stupid Americans tend to be more stupid than stupid people in other countries. That's this country's main problem.

Stupid in different ways, I'd say...not more stupid. Look at the Greanpeace idiots trying to block the atomic waste transport in France and Germany...

In terms of stupididity, they don't even minimally come close to the most intelligent of teabaggers.

I think they're every bit as stupid as the teabaggers, if not more....but I guess it depends what you consider important.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »

I think what you all need to understand is that most ordinary people are not stupid (no more stupid than people who follow politics closely - or indeed politicians and political operatives themselves - anyway). There is a rational basis behind almost every vote cast in a proper election.

The issue is not - and is never - stupidity, but ignorance. And that word is not meant as a term of abuse; it is a perfectly justified ignorance. Most ordinary people do not follow politics at all; they only really tune in when elections loom and even then they don't follow the campaigns in the way that we do. Which means that rational decisions are often founded on deeply inaccurate assumptions, producing election results that might seem like the result of stupidity (even if the aren't) to the politically obsessive.
Parasite
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

By which I suppose you mean that the teabaggers have the temerity to disagree with you while the Greenpeacers don't.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 10:29:07 PM »

American electorate is stupid. It was stupid in 2008 it is stupid now, now matter who is winning.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies