JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:38:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JCP Convention, December 2010 (endorsements posted)  (Read 9150 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: December 07, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »

The PPT has a very important question for the JCP (or what's left of it that is)

WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOUR SENATOR'S STAY ACTIVE?

Thank you for your time,
NC Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:10:29 PM »

The PPT has a very important question for the JCP (or what's left of it that is)

WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOUR SENATOR'S STAY ACTIVE?

Thank you for your time,
NC Yankee

I think a lot of us are worried about him at this point. Not as a Senator but as a regular poster who hasn't posted in a while.

I am worried too. Did he go to Australia for Thanksgiving or something or was the Avatar just for kicks?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:45 AM »

This seat could be a problem. The vacancy clause is still in doubt and thus in the eyes of some, the seat is still held by Barnes. I disgree with this interpreation and hold that it is vacant and has been for about 20 days, but I most warn that there could be a lawsuit over this.

hmm.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:05 AM »

^ Do we have to formally expel Barnes or something?

I say we don't. 

PS, MB and others say you do (ironically they did so to save BK).

Why don't you choose which one. Tongue If you want an expulsion vote to be safe I will gladly hold the pointless excesize in ridiculem. 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »

It happened once, with DWTL.  That was perhaps done improperly.

Wasn't he voted out by the Senate ?

No, declaration of vacancy.
Which raised no complaint from anyone, including DWTL himself when he returned.

Oh, really ? I had always been sure there was a vote about it. I think there should have been one, at least.

Ironically, that vacancy of DWTL's seat that (probably) improperly led to a special elected is where I won my first election and started a more serious career beyond the Attorney General's office.

Why am I not surprised that you would benefit from something being done "improperly". Tongue

Here is another fact

Badger succeeded Marokai, and Barnes succeeded Badger. So this is the same damn cursed seat. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »

It happened once, with DWTL.  That was perhaps done improperly.

Oh, really ? I had always been sure there was a vote about it. I think there should have been one, at least.

Ironically, that vacancy of DWTL's seat that (probably) improperly led to a special elected is where I won my first election and started a more serious career beyond the Attorney General's office.

Why am I not surprised that you would benefit from something being done "improperly". Tongue

Here is another fact

Badger succeeded Marokai, and Barnes succeeded Badger. So this is the same damn cursed seat. Tongue

Yeah, especially considering that :
- DWTL vacated it by becoming inactive, Marokai took the seat.
- Marokai vacated it to become SC Justice, Badger took the seat in the general election.
- Badger vacated it to become GM, Barnes took the seat.
- Barnes vacated it by becoming inactive, Lief took the seat in the general election.

The Marokai-Badger precedent is useful there, because, as the election was approaching, no replacement was appointed for Marokai and we just waited for Badger to be seated.

Yea, because it was too late for a special election (At-Large seats cannot be appointed too. Tongue). However, thanks to the law just passed by bgwah, the major parties can fill the vacated seats of their members now if only six weeks remain. Are you suggesting the JCP should wait to fill this seat till January seventh? Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »

It happened once, with DWTL.  That was perhaps done improperly.

Here is another fact

Yeah, especially considering that :
- DWTL vacated it by becoming inactive, Marokai took the seat.
- Marokai vacated it to become SC Justice, Badger took the seat in the general election.
- Badger vacated it to become GM, Barnes took the seat.
- Barnes vacated it by becoming inactive, Lief took the seat in the general election.

The Marokai-Badger precedent is useful there, because, as the election was approaching, no replacement was appointed for Marokai and we just waited for Badger to be seated.

Yea, because it was too late for a special election (At-Large seats cannot be appointed too. Tongue). However, thanks to the law just passed by bgwah, the major parties can fill the vacated seats of their members now if only six weeks remain. Are you suggesting the JCP should wait to fill this seat till January seventh? Wink

First of all, I don't think Barnes' seat should be declared vacant. I just don't think the OSPR has the constitutional power to expel a Senator.

Second, I find it pretty ridiculous that there is so much excitation about appointing someone who will serve only for two damn weeks. I just think we should avoid procedural aventurism especially when there is absolutely nothing to gain. Once the new Senate is duly seate, we could consider passing an Amendment to clear up this.

Procedural aventurism? Is rejecting a procedure that has been accepted for almost four years as entirely legitimate by everyone and instead misusing the expulsion procedure as its stand in, not procedureal aventurism?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »

Well, perhaps the Senate should formally expel him just to be cautious...

Are you going to begin that process? I haven't the slightest idea how it is to occur and there is no mention of it in the OSPR. The only thing I have seen so far is the 2/3rd's requirement in Article 1 of the Constitution.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »

Are you going to begin that process? I haven't the slightest idea how it is to occur and there is no mention of it in the OSPR. The only thing I have seen so far is the 2/3rd's requirement in Article 1 of the Constitution.

someone puts forward a motion to expel, someone seconds it, then you have a big ol' vote on the matter, and then life goes on

Where is the proper place for this motion to be offered?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »

someone puts forward a motion to expel, someone seconds it, then you have a big ol' vote on the matter, and then life goes on

Where is the proper place for this motion to be offered?

An expulsion motion would normally be conducted in its own thread.

I'd also say though that if the PPT is not willing to execute the Senate's stated rules, he should either offer his resignation, or, at the very least, make a motion to change the rules he finds objectionable.

What are you talking about?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

I tried to fix this problem via constitutional amendment, the Senate voted it down and the nay voters have made no attempt to repeal the OSPR clause dealing with vacancies. No one here is neglecting their duties Jas, so I haven't the slightest idea what the  you are talking about.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »

I tried to fix this problem via constitutional amendment, the Senate voted it down and the nay voters have made no attempt to repeal the OSPR clause dealing with vacancies. No one here is neglecting their duties Jas, so I haven't the slightest idea what the  you are talking about.

I'm not accusing you of neglecting your duties, as of yet. (I'm presuming here that you have notified the appropriate powers over the vacancy of Barnes's seat.)

I do believe though that you would be disregarding Senate rules should you purport to call a vote to expel a 'Senator' who per the OSPR is no longer in office.

No I didn't inform the SoFE directly at the time because a Special election was judged unnecessary due to the closeness of the election and thus a pointless endeavour, untill now with the amendment to the Proportional Representation act. Had this question about the legitimacy of the vacancy clause not been left open like this, I would have posted something similar to what I did for Libertas, at the time. However, the OSPR says I "....Shall further notify the SoFA (an office no longer existing) or Regional Governor, as appropriate, of the vacancy". It doesn't say where the notification must occur or how, and thus my thread alerting that Barnes exceeding the 21 days should suffice under that as "notification". 

I don't plan to motion to expell Barnes. If bgwah or someone in the JCP wants to introduce the motion, they can do so. There is noting in the OSPR preventing an expulsion vote from occuring for no reason either, is there? I will just delay direct notification till it is finished. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 03:18:29 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 03:22:17 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

No I didn't inform the SoFE directly at the time because a Special election was judged unnecessary due to the closeness of the election and thus a pointless endeavour, untill now with the amendment to the Proportional Representation act. Had this question about the legitimacy of the vacancy clause not been left open like this, I would have posted something similar to what I did for Libertas, at the time. However, the OSPR says I "....Shall further notify the SoFA (an office no longer existing) or Regional Governor, as appropriate, of the vacancy". It doesn't say where the notification must occur or how, and thus my thread alerting that Barnes exceeding the 21 days should suffice under that as "notification".  

I would say that a decision as to the holding of the election is not yours to make - but for the DoFE.

The rules give you the duty simply of notifying such vacancies as may occur to the appropriate authorities (and indeed, the SoFA no longer exists in that form, but it has a successor office that one can reasonably infer should be notified instead).

I didn't god damn it.

President Fritz did!!!!!!!!
As the election for his seat is in less than 21 days, there will not be a special election.

If my memory serves me, Barnes wasn't discovered till after Libertas ban and this subsquent post by the President and the SoFE never disagreed or contradicted him.

I suggest that before you try to attack me and insult my performance as PPT you better quit making stupid assumptions and guesses and find out what the hell you are talking about. I don't give a damn who you are or what you have done before in this game, I won't take that crap from anyone.

Ridiculous. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 03:23:57 AM »

And if expulsion has been in the constitution this long, why the hell didn't you guys account for it the OSPR years ago?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies