If Hillary gets the nomination in 2008...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If Hillary gets the nomination in 2008...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Party affiliation / Will you vote for her?
(D) Yes

(D) No

(I) Yes

(I) No

(R) No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: If Hillary gets the nomination in 2008...  (Read 4640 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 12:12:03 PM »

that's what I've been saying, if Rudy is smart he realizes he has no chance on winning the presidential nomination (of course I have yet to see any evidence he wants to run) so he'd run for Senate or Governor instead, assuming he wants to continue a political career which I suspect he doesn't. But we'll see. I think he would rather be Governor than Senator and might try for that in 2006, since Pataki is rather unpopular he either might not run or would be easy to take out in the primaries.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »

that's what I've been saying, if Rudy is smart he realizes he has no chance on winning the presidential nomination (of course I have yet to see any evidence he wants to run) so he'd run for Senate or Governor instead, assuming he wants to continue a political career which I suspect he doesn't. But we'll see. I think he would rather be Governor than Senator and might try for that in 2006, since Pataki is rather unpopular he either might not run or would be easy to take out in the primaries.

I can't see him wanting to be Governor.  Albany is even worse than Washington D.C. in terms of corruption, gridlock, aesthetics etc.  Rudy G has said that he would like to go back to elective politics.  Rudy loves the limelight and I think he is itching to get back into the game.  Rudy is also a very ambitious guy.  Always has been.  He and Senator Pothole a.k.a. Crooked Al D'Amato even did an undercover sting operation one time while US Attorney.  He likes to play to the camera.  I would not wish the job of Governor of NY on anyone. If Schumer knows what is good for him he will let that media whore Spitzer run.  Office of Governor also gets very little press coverage here in the NYC metro area.  You hear about that turd Bloomberg a lot more than Pataki.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 12:41:22 PM »

I think Schumer has already basically confirmed he isn't running because he'll be in charge of the NSSC instead.

If that's the case it's looks like Spitzer's a shoo-in. yes!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2004, 01:46:40 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2004, 01:50:06 PM by Ben. »

The only reason Pataki is still in office is because the Democrats have been fielding weak candidates against him.

So if Spitzer goes for Governor in 06 he would win?

That said i'd have thought Pataki will not be running in 2006.

I'd also agree that Rudy wouldn't stand a chance of getting the GOP nomination, and he'd be best of running for the Senate as he'd probably win.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 03:12:09 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2004, 03:14:38 PM by SamSpade »

Maybe Patrick can correct me here, but I heard from one of my conservative friends in NYC that Pataki might actually run for governor again.

I was surprised, because I thought it was pretty clear he would leave in 2006.

About the rest of the argument here, I tend to agree with what's been posted here.  Powell won't run and Rudy's about the only candidate who would stand a chance of beating Hillary. (a good chance at that)

Spitzer v. Pataki would be interesting, that's for sure.  The way to beating Pataki is that you've got to make some inroads into his base in upstate NY and in the NY suburbs, where he's always run strong.  He's never performed very well in NYC, but the other two regions have nearly always put him over the top, so to speak, but he's never won more than 54% and has won 49% two other times.
Shira

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 03:54:13 PM »

This, to me, would be like the GOP nominating Alan Keyes for president. I'd be forced to vote Democrat, or at least third party.

What a unique sense of humor!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 08:45:02 PM »

I agree that Pataki is a dud as far as political leadership is concerned.  I doubt he would beat Hillary since he has basically become just a pale imitation of a Democrat.  If you like Democrats, you might as well go for the real thing.

I think Giuliani would beat Hillary for the Senate in 2006.  He is an icon in NY, and would cut way into Hillary's base of support.

The question is whether he wants to.  I doubt he really wants to be a Senator.  I could see him as governor, and he may run since I can't believe Pataki would make another run for that office at this point.  Giuliani is more of an executive type.

The party could convince him that, for the good of the country, Hillary must be knocked off, and he could be induced to run on those grounds, in return for some type of payoff later.

I agree that as far as the presidency is concerned, Giuliani has many things that will turn him off to Republican voters in other sections of the country.  However, if the alternative is Hillary and he's the best person to beat her, they may overlook those things and support him, as the lesser of two evils.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 10:18:26 PM »

She won't be nominated
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »

I know, but I'm just saying, if she did.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2004, 10:52:10 PM »

Wouldn't be so sure of that... she is loved by the Democratic base that votes in the primaries.

As for 2006, Rudy is the only Republican that can defeat Hilliary.  As much as I'd like to see her emboldened to run for President in 2008 with a 2006 reelection, I'd also like to get rid of her in the Senate to get closer to the magic 60.  Also, Rudy needs to get the idea through his head that he will not win a Republican primary battle and settle for the Senate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 01:09:41 PM »

Wouldn't be so sure of that... she is loved by the Democratic base that votes in the primaries.

As for 2006, Rudy is the only Republican that can defeat Hilliary.  As much as I'd like to see her emboldened to run for President in 2008 with a 2006 reelection, I'd also like to get rid of her in the Senate to get closer to the magic 60.  Also, Rudy needs to get the idea through his head that he will not win a Republican primary battle and settle for the Senate.

I think Giuliani could very well defeat Hillary in a Senate race, and should he do so, that's her ambitions scuppered! True, she's popular with the Democratic base but that base ain't gonna win her the presidency

The Democrats need to select a centrist/moderate with a proven executive and legislative record.

Dave
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 01:47:05 PM »

2006 in NY:2008 Nationally::1858 in IL:1860 Nationally

Anyone?

Well, except for the fact that Rudy probably won't run or take the nomination in 2008.  Although if he does, the Southerners could walk out, and then we'd have an even more fitting analogy...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies