Back to independent format
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:06:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Back to independent format
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Back to independent format  (Read 589 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:03:23 PM »

Atlasian Chronicles
                                                    this week,
                                                     By Senator Bono

Beam me up, Scotty

Because this world is frightening. In the world I come from, the government officers are people who think their actions and act prudently, especially before taking action that may lead to war. But as I read the news in this new world where I am now set out for discovery, I just found out that Secretary of Defence John Ford , following China’s President’s declarations calling for a moderation on Atlasia’s foreign policy, just sent an air carrier to the area? Although China’s message is filled with disagreeable things, is this Secretary’s Ford way of telling the people of his country, if they dare to oppose imperialism, this is what will happen? A common person’s strength, however mighty it may be, cannot be compared to the military behemoth that is the Atlasian Army or Police. While they can be resisted by someone with comparable might, I fear for the destiny of the common person who dares not show proper enthusiasm while marching on the parade of warmongerism. I also wonder if Secretary plans to send military forces, paid for with taxpayer’s money, to any country in the world, every time a tyrant with a funny hat decides to say a bad word about Atlasian policies. One can ask where was the Secretary of State here? Is this the way these people want to interact with other nations? Also, this whim may cause China to feel threatened. What will they do to respond? Is Secretary Ford ready to account for the blood of millions before Almighty God, if his politics of fear go the wrong way? Beam me up Scotty. This planet is too scary.

Senator Irish Democrat needs a medical check

Urgently. And other senators too. A constitutional crisis of biblical proportions has befallen Atlasia. Almost all laws were declared unconstitutional on the face of Fritz vs. Ernest. Almost all future laws will, unless the powers amendment is steadily put forward. Nevertheless, a majority of senators seem to be more worries about their pet projects, which will be inevitably rendered unconstitutional if passed, and then settle this crisis. They need to be checked, for a huge bunch of autists may actually be governing us.

There’s a VP in my soup

“Every government is a parliament of whores. Trouble is, in a democracy, the whores are us.” P. J. O’Rourke hit a home-run with this sound bite. We must keep this in mind as we watch the latest turn of events in Atlasia’s troubled political landscape. Proheminent figures on the AFRNC backed up Former-Vice-President Supersoulty, who meanwhile had founded a new party, in his senate run, while pressing true republican ColinW to withdraw from the race. Are the Grand Old Party’s figures so power hungry, that they will endorse a man who is so much at odds with the party’s conservative roots that he expresses reverence, and bases his party’s platform on the ideas of the biggest crook ever to sit in the oval office? I will warn you. This will certainly backfire. Senator IrishDemocrat, no matter how annoying his statements may be, is just a left-wing loony who will never be given any attention. But as a RINO with centrist capital, Supersoulty, if elected to the senate, might just have enough credibility t pass liberal legislation and block conservative legislation, without even fearing weather he will be re-elected or not. We may be facing Atlasia’s Arlen Specter here. I commend that this figures will consider if they really want to sell out the party’s conservative values for power gains that will be deemed irrelevant by the course of history. If they really do, it is obvious that the place for principled conservatives is not in this Republican Party.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions in this column do not reflect anyone's but my own's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The word autism and its derivates is used as an hyperbole. Paid for by people who are really really literalist.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 04:12:47 PM »

The word autism and its derivates is used as an hyperbole. Paid for by people who are really really literalist.

It's still disrespectful and disgusting.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:23:23 PM »

It's still disrespectful and disgusting.

The word autism is used all the time in portuguese journalism. Calling the government autist or the PM or something is current practice by columnists and editorials. I had no idea it was under such an anathema in the United States.
Hermit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 04:26:21 PM »

Does it have the same meaning in Portugese? Maybe this is a 'lost in translation' type deal.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 04:29:29 PM »

Does it have the same meaning in Portugese? Maybe this is a 'lost in translation' type deal.

Its jsut used in the sense of someone alienated from the real world.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »

Its jsut used in the sense of someone alienated from the real world.

Autism is a medical condition that makes it hard for you to communicate with others meaning you cannot interact properly socially, autistic people often feel very frustrated by it because it stops them from expressing themselves properly to others and means they are often misunderstood. It isn't a nice thing.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 04:37:01 PM »

Instead of using 'autism', use 'shortsighted', 'nearsighted', or, if you really want to, 'myopic'.  Us ones with myopia don't mind Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 04:44:02 PM »

Taking a look in a dictionary, I see that autism has two meanings in English, one of which is the medical condition that is the sense that is usually meant in English today, and  the meaning that Senator Bono was using and is aparently the usual sense in Portugese, given his usage of the word and surprise that people would draw offense.  At one time the medical autism was distinguished from the other meaning by being called infantile autism, but since it became the predominant meaning in English, the infantile has been left off.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies