US House Redistricting: Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:58:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34514 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »

Has naked patisanship so grossly distorted your reasoning, or are you just very good at pretending to be a partisan hack?

Whoever answers a question with another question is either a fool or a liar (probably both).
BigSkyBob

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »

Arguing for a less than 50% VAP packed district in Nevada, while opposing one where it will be greater than 50% is extremely inconsistent.  What is consistent is that when a minority-majority packed district benefits Republicans you say that Democrats oppose it b/c they're evil racist liberals (and ignore the fact that they oppose it NOT b/c of race, but b/c the district is part of a pro-Republican gerrymander).  However, when it benefits Democrats, then you say that Republicans shouldn't create more minority-majority districts b/c it won't lead to their strongest map.   

Not at all. The last bit isn't fact at all; I already posted a Nevada map to the contrary that does not involve the racial splitting of  every single municipality that you keep proposing. Admittedly, the Republican proposed map doesn't give the Democrats 2 safe districts, but such a map is obviously possible.

Democrats like the Sherman/Bermans have a history of opposing Hispanic districts specifically because of race, in their own words, not mine. Ultimately they can obviously do what they want to do and pass districts to elect white liberals and not Hispanics; I can merely point out the truth.

Republicans control the trifecta throughout the South because of the policies of the Democratic party. If they want a say they should do what Mr. Sandoval did and win the governor's mansion. Otherwise, nobody cares.

So if Republicans wanted to have the DOJ approve their maps in states like Texas, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Alabama, they should have won the Presidency like Obama did b/c otherwise no one cares?

The law is alleged the same no matter whom is elected President.

Don't play dumb. Everyone knows that there was no way a Bush DOJ would push for more minority representation in the preclearance states while the Obama DOJ would.

The VRA act says what it says. If you can justify politicizing law enforcement that says something about you, not me.

Who said anything about justifying it? The reality is that administrations usually enforce the VRA when it is politically to their benefit.  

That simply isn't true. Had that been the case, the Bush justice department would not have objected to the Bonilla district that would have reelected Bonilla, and, would have insisted on creating minority seats in certain states.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democrats are pushing intrepretation that are neither supported by the text of the VRA, or the Constitution. The Constitution is clear, the Congress cannot by statutute mandate that the states favor any particular political party, and that is the essense of the Democratic "intrepretation" of the VRA.

That isn't even True, either. For instance, the Courts struck down racial gerrymandering more strongly than they ever ruled on partisan gerrymandering.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »

Has naked partisanship so grossly distorted your reasoning, or are you just very good at pretending to be a partisan hack?

Whoever answers a question with another question is either a fool or a liar (probably both).

Anybody whom has a principled objection to replying to a question with another question is either being highly disingenuous, or is a fool.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »

You've not come here to make friends, have you?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

You've not come here to make friends, have you?

His only friend serves him quite well.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »

http://www.lvrj.com/news/sandoval-vetoes-democrats-second-redistricting-bill-122914058.html

Sandoval vetoes Democrats' new redistricting bill

CARSON CITY -- For the second time in less than a month, Gov. Brian Sandoval on Tuesday vetoed Assembly Bill 566, the Democrats' proposal for redrawing legislative and congressional district boundaries.

Maybe they can draw Heck a reasonable district now.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »

Or they could be aiming force it into the courts.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »

Which doesn't really make sense, seeing as there are only a handful of ways to draw the map anyway.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »

Seriously, just give us a 2-2 map and be done with it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »

Why should they? It's not as if it could potentially end up worse than 2-2 if it goes to the court. (Okay, so I suppose it could end up 1-2-1 with the two being D leans... that then fall due to a wave election and/or weakass candidate selection.)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »

Why should they? It's not as if it could potentially end up worse than 2-2 if it goes to the court. (Okay, so I suppose it could end up 1-2-1 with the two being D leans... that then fall due to a wave election and/or weakass candidate selection.)

Heck would be an incumbent in 1 of the 2 Dem leans. I think both fall around 54-55% Obama or so.

In any case, gone to court.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/redistricting-appears-dead-in-nevada-legislature-123198738.html

Heller is going to have to win 3 of the 4 districts anyway to win statewide.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »

Heck lives in Henderson, which can't fit anywhere besides the district that'd reach into rural Nevada. There'd be no reason for him to not run in that seat anyway. There's going to be two seats based around inner Las Vegas no matter what, and getting either one to be a swing seat would require some actual gerrymandering. But that's exactly what the Republicans were trying to push through a Dem-controlled legislature.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2011, 09:46:52 PM by krazen1211 »

Heck lives in Henderson, which can't fit anywhere besides the district that'd reach into rural Nevada. There'd be no reason for him to not run in that seat anyway. There's going to be two seats based around inner Las Vegas no matter what, and getting either one to be a swing seat would require some actual gerrymandering. But that's exactly what the Republicans were trying to push through a Dem-controlled legislature.

It's certainly possible to fit the district in with the southern/eastern areas of Clark County (Sunrise Manor, Paradise), while the new district goes from western/northern Clark into the rurals. Both districts end up being somewhat swingy.

I think your outcome is more likely though. At least unless the court wants to draw the 30% Hispanic b*tch districts that the Democrats either rail about or embrace.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »

Heck would be an incumbent in 1 of the 2 Dem leans. I think both fall around 54-55% Obama or so.

In any case, gone to court.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/redistricting-appears-dead-in-nevada-legislature-123198738.html

Heller is going to have to win 3 of the 4 districts anyway to win statewide.

What is a court likely to do here? There seems to be one natural CD 2 that includes the I80 corridor across the northern third of the state. CD 3 would also seem well defined in southern Clark including Henderson, Enterprise, and Paradise. CD 4 is presumably the central third of the state along US 50 plus northern and western Clark reaching into Las Vegas.

Dealing with the minority population is the wild card here. Do they try to insure a strong Hispanic CD 1 at over 50% of the total population? They could boost it with additional minorities to reduce the white population and insure a likelihood of  minority control of the primary. This would reduce the Dem edge in the other Clark districts as the chance of Hispanic success increases.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »

What is a court likely to do here? There seems to be one natural CD 2 that includes the I80 corridor across the northern third of the state. CD 3 would also seem well defined in southern Clark including Henderson, Enterprise, and Paradise. CD 4 is presumably the central third of the state along US 50 plus northern and western Clark reaching into Las Vegas.

Dealing with the minority population is the wild card here. Do they try to insure a strong Hispanic CD 1 at over 50% of the total population? They could boost it with additional minorities to reduce the white population and insure a likelihood of  minority control of the primary. This would reduce the Dem edge in the other Clark districts as the chance of Hispanic success increases.

Well, the current CD-1 is North Las Vegas, Downtown Las Vegas, Northern Paradise, and some random (Republican) peripheral areas in Northwest Clark County. As long as you don't split up the core of the current CD-1, and instead chop off the peripheral areas, you end up with a reasonably packed CD-1 at somewhere between 65-70% Obama. Not quite as efficient as the GOP map that sliced through municipalities, but close, and much closer to the GOP map than the Dem map.

Then you end up with 2 districts that sum to 55% Obama. Either you put Henderson with the Republican Northwest Clark and the rurals (the 2-2 plan), or you put Henderson wtih Paradise, Spring Valley, and Enterprise (the 1-1-2 plan). Neither option looks bad for the GOP.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »

I have never once heard of a white Democrat complaining about more minorities being added to their district, unless it was part of a blatant GOP power grab (like the DeLay-mander.) I should note most minorities seem to take the same position as white liberals here, one black Texas State Rep supported DeLay's redraw because it would result in a new black rep. His predominately black constituents primaried him out next election.
That was not why Ron Wilson was primaried.  And those Blacks who were supposedly voting against Wilson because he had voted for the redistricting, voted for Al Edwards against Chris Bell in the same primary 2:1.

In 2001, the NAACP lobbied the court for a 2nd Black district in Houston.  The court which had been hand-picked by the Democrats praised the effort, but said that it was out of their capacity as a federal court, and said that they should lobby the legislature.

In the remedial phase of the 2006 redistricting trial, the NAACP entered a brief.  It can be summarized as:

(1) We don't like what happened to Martin Frost, and Supreme Court shouldn't have ruled the way it did;
(2) We don't care about South Texas; and
(3) About Houston we are content.  I did think it was a little over the top to include a video clip of a Happy Dance in a legal brief.

I doubt that any Black Democrats from Houston were upset about the district other than  Garnet Coleman.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »

http://www.lvrj.com/news/hearing-set-on-legality-of-creating-hispanic-congressional-district-126735353.html

A state district court judge on Wednesday said he would hold a Sept. 19 hearing to determine whether Hispanics merit a congressional district with a majority Latino population before ordering a special "masters panel" to draw Nevada's new electoral maps.

Judge James Russell also named three members of the special panel: Alan Glover, the Carson City clerk-recorder; Las Vegas attorney Thomas Sheets and Robert Erickson, a former research director at the Legislative Counsel Bureau who handled past rounds of redistricting in Nevada.

One should mention how Democrats typically whine about Hispanics being 30% bitches, when in fact the Democratic map turns them into a quartet of 30% bitches.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »

http://www.lvrj.com/news/hearing-set-on-legality-of-creating-hispanic-congressional-district-126735353.html
One should mention how Democrats typically whine about Hispanics being 30% bitches, when in fact the Democratic map turns them into a quartet of 30% bitches.
my California map i'm working on has two districts that are 85-90% hispanic.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »

Well, we've been waiting for the courts to do something about redistricting... and they've certainly done something.

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »

Well, we've been waiting for the courts to do something about redistricting... and they've certainly done something.

What were the D maps again? 2-1-1 (D/R/Swing) or 3-1?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2011, 06:06:13 PM »

This looks like it was from the first map they passed:

I did my best to draw it in DRA:

NV-01 - 59-39 Obama
NV-02 - 49-48 Obama
NV-03 - 56-42 Obama
NV-04 - 57-41 Obama

I... don't think that's going to fly with the governor.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »

NV-01 - 59-39 Obama
NV-02 - 49-48 Obama
NV-03 - 56-42 Obama
NV-04 - 57-41 Obama

Wow 3 D seats and 1 swing seat? That's pretty bold.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

The state constitution is that vague eh? LOL. You know I really hate state constitutions. They suck and are mischievous, and unleash the robes to make law using texts copied and pasted from the federal version, and then give them whole new meanings. One man's equal protection is another man's political agenda. I'd get rid of them all - yes all. I'm serious. Into the bust bin they go! But then the whole idea of state's rights kind of sucks too. I am just not on the Pubbie boat on that one - at all.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2011, 07:45:18 PM by jimrtex »

But in its order, the Supreme Court called into question whether the governor has the power to veto the redistricting maps, setting up the possibility that the maps drawn by the Democrats could become law.

The order tells the Secretary of State to address the issue.

The constitution provides that the legislature apportion the state by passing a law.  The veto power is part of the Article 4.  Legislative department.  And says that any bill shall be presented to the governor who before it becomes a law must sign it (or let it become law without signature).

The legislature presented a "bill" to the governor.  They did not pass a law, which they are incompetent to do, without either the assent or acquiescence of the governor (or perhaps the connivance of the judiciary).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »

NV-01 - 59-39 Obama
NV-02 - 49-48 Obama
NV-03 - 56-42 Obama
NV-04 - 57-41 Obama

Wow 3 D seats and 1 swing seat? That's pretty bold.

NV-2 went narrowly for Obama, but there's plenty of evidence from the last several elections that it's too R to be a swing seat for Congress.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies