US House Redistricting: Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:12:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34408 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »

Hehe that's awesome. Outside shot at 3 districts depending on what kind of extremist comes out of the NV-4 primary.

I've no idea who the GOP will put up there, but yeah, probably an extremist.  Steven Horsford will be the Democratic candidate there, and will do fine in this district with a 13pt registration advantage.

John Oceguera would pick NV-1, and who knows where Dina Titus will go.  Probably a rematch with Heck, now that his district will have more Democrats than Republicans.

Reality check, Heck's new district improves Republican performance over his previous district.

My mistake, B.S.  Although, a district Obama theoretically won by 9 points and has a notional GOP registration advantage of 0.6 points is not exactly stable ground for Joe Heck.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »

Given that Steven Horsford wants to run in the 4th, I wonder if he tries to engineer changes to this map to move the rural areas into the 3rd.

How do you propose he does that?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »

Given that Steven Horsford wants to run in the 4th, I wonder if he tries to engineer changes to this map to move the rural areas into the 3rd.

Simply pass a map that tweaks the court master's boundaries.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

Simply pass a map that tweaks the court master's boundaries.

Under what circumstances would he do that to weaken the 3rd rather than unpack the 1st? Other than in order to help Republicans, of course.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »

Under what circumstances would he do that to weaken the 3rd rather than unpack the 1st? Other than in order to help Republicans, of course.

I presume that Sandoval would still have to sign such a map in order to overrule the court master. Now that they have seen the court map they might be more amendable to a bipartisan map, especially as the court map is not great for them.

I'm still not sure how the Democrats felt they would claim 3 districts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

Hehe that's awesome. Outside shot at 3 districts depending on what kind of extremist comes out of the NV-4 primary.

I've no idea who the GOP will put up there, but yeah, probably an extremist.  Steven Horsford will be the Democratic candidate there, and will do fine in this district with a 13pt registration advantage.

John Oceguera would pick NV-1, and who knows where Dina Titus will go.  Probably a rematch with Heck, now that his district will have more Democrats than Republicans.

Reality check, Heck's new district improves Republican performance over his previous district.

http://nvsos.gov/SOSElectionPages/voter-reg/2008/1108ncd.aspx

Heck's current district, in terms of active voters, is 43% Democrat and 36% Republican

Back in 2008, the only time a Democrat won it, this district was 44% Democrat and and 35% Republican.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »

http://nvsos.gov/SOSElectionPages/voter-reg/2008/1108ncd.aspx

Heck's current district, in terms of active voters, is 43% Democrat and 36% Republican

Back in 2008, the only time a Democrat won it, this district was 44% Democrat and and 35% Republican.

And, the new district is 40% D 37% R.  That's an improvement in Republican registration.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

Did you forget to read my last reply to you, B.S.?  By making Heck's district fractionally more GOP friendly, do you believe he is now safe or something?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »

Did you forget to read my last reply to you, B.S.?  By making Heck's district fractionally more GOP friendly, do you believe he is now safe or something?

I think safe R is going to be hard to assess. Assume the district was redrawn to put the 74 K people outside of Clark in CD 3 instead CD 4, and then CD 4 wrapped around to get more Ds from CD 3. This version of CD 3 still votes for Obama by 52 - 46, and is only 51.5 R - 48.5 D on the DRA average. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:51 PM »

Uh, it is far more likely that map elects 3 Democrats than 3 Republicans. Especially if you want to talk about nominating extremists, something the Nevada Democratic Party isn't exactly known for and the Nevada GOP obviously doesn't mind doing.
A

Still not something a Republican should get excited about, as three Democrats is far more likely. Especially since the Republicans would be more likely to nominate an extremist in NV-4.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:44 AM »

Did you forget to read my last reply to you, B.S.? 

I'm rather mystified by that post, which I just read.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think the point is that you claimed that the district worsened for Heck. It didn't.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:11 AM »

Into Lyon County? Seriously? Anybody got a map of the split?
They seem to have valued compact-look-at-first-glance over all other criteria. (You'd pretty much have to to come up with a map that doesn't have the two-fillings donut, but they went well beyond that.)

The Lyon split is very reasonable. There is a natural divide due to a ridge between Yerington and Silver Spring. The state map is on page 15 of this document.

The existence of that natural divide was the reason why I asked the question. Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

Since I don't see a picture up already, here's the statewide map:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »

Had to be done.

1st 71.2% Obama, 47.5% Hispanic (41.2% VAP)
3rd 53.7% Obama, 60.6% White
4th 52.4% Obama, 58.1% White

Boundary of 4th and 2nd matches special masters map.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »

What are the Presidential results in the Clark portion of the proposed NV-4? I assume this is the vast majority of the CD population. Why is this more Democratic than NV-3? Probably race, but is there any other factor here?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

NV-01: Obama 64.5, McCain 33.0, Dem 64.4, Rep 35.6
NV-02: Obama 49.5, McCain 48.2, Dem 45.3, Rep 54.7
NV-03: Obama 53.6, McCain 44.5, Dem 49.7, Rep 50.3
NV-04: Obama 56.1, McCain 41.7, Dem 54.0, Rep. 46.0

Just compare with my Dem pack just above. Quite a bit of it ends up in the 4th.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »

my district freed itself from some of the rurals. I'm happy.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2022, 12:53:26 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0f6ce3e4-5df2-484c-8bd3-2a8348807065

Tried my hand at a non-partisan NV State Senate map that focuses on COI, compactness, and minroity rights.

I got a 14D-7R breakdown on 2020 Pres numbers (and most other elections) despite the state only being narrowly D. The median seat is Biden + 12 district 3 which is the whiter half of Reno.

I still find it amazing how D leaning Hispanic Las Vegas seats have turnouts of 20-30%, and it's really something Dems must focus on to pull the state their way.

This also partially explains the extreme geography bias in the state; R seats having higher turnout means more votes are wasted in them. If you equalize turnout across all districts on this map adjusted for VAP, you get a Biden + 6 victory. If you do so across precincts you get Biden + 11(!)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »

In the RGV, the thesis was that low propensity to vote Hispanics are more Pub than high propensity ones, and thus the surge in turnout in the RGV in 2020 also moved the numbers to the Pubs.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2022, 06:58:58 PM »

In the RGV, the thesis was that low propensity to vote Hispanics are more Pub than high propensity ones, and thus the surge in turnout in the RGV in 2020 also moved the numbers to the Pubs.

That's certainly what I hope happened rather than some kind of backlash. I don't know if the results of the TX-34 special disprove that notion or not though.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2022, 07:57:16 PM »

That's certainly what I hope happened rather than some kind of backlash. I don't know if the results of the TX-34 special disprove that notion or not though.

Feel like you can't use TX-34 to really prove anything other than RGV is a very unreliable region when it comes to turnout and that a Republican CAN win in the right circumstnaces.

I think what makes Las Vegas different from RGV is several thing:

Firstly these are urban Hispanic's we're talking about; we've yet to see a case outside of Cubans in Florida where the GOP has outright won urban Hispanics.

Secondly, Las Vegas also has large Asian, Black, educated and uneducated white folks as well. A universal swing to the extreme right is very difficult unless Dems are collapsing amongst all these groups whereas in the RGV there's really nothing to cancel out Hispanics shift right.

Also the Northeast corner of Las Vegas is blue enough that significantly higher turnout would more than offset a small shift right, simillar to what we saw in some parts of Harris County in 2020. This is also the region that has the worst turnout overall.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »

Las Vegas had a big problem with covid restrictions due to the nature of its economy. And of course the workers who were affected the most, who tended to be Hispanic, had a problem with those restrictions. That might explain the trend towards the Republicans in 2020.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2022, 06:57:44 PM »

Las Vegas had a big problem with covid restrictions due to the nature of its economy. And of course the workers who were affected the most, who tended to be Hispanic, had a problem with those restrictions. That might explain the trend towards the Republicans in 2020.

The pandemic itself definitely made the 2020 election a little murky when it comes to what we can, or cannot, discern from its results in some parts of the country.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies