US House Redistricting: Nevada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:21:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34888 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
« edited: December 04, 2010, 04:52:59 PM by Enrico Pallazzo »

I'm not sure which one Shelley Berkeley would run in and which one would be open.

She lives in the blue district (Summerlin), but she's likely running for Senate anyway.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »

Do we have a zoomed-in map of the Las Vegas area? That looks like a 2-1-1 map (2 D seats in Las Vegas, one R seat in the Vegas suburbs and the bush, one toss-up seat for Reno-Elko), but it's hard to tell without knowing exactly which parts of Vegas are in which seat.

PDF file

Joe Heck gets to keep the 3rd district.

One of the two comically gerrymandered Democratic districts is majority Hispanic, which has already prompted one Latino group to call the plan "an absolute assault".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »

Also, is Clark outside of Vegas really that conservative? IIRC, there's some unincorporated areas that vote heavily Democratic.

Look at what unincorporated Clark county includes:

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2011, 08:04:46 AM by Joe Republic »

The Democrats have released their map:

As you would expect, it's a 3-1 map.  The 1st is D+16, the 2nd is R+7, the 3rd is D+8 (lol) and the 4th is D+10.

It's... um... "optimistic".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »

*shrug*  That's what Ralston says.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »

They are registration numbers.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »

SURPRISE!

Sandoval vetoes Democrats' map.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »

It's pretty stupid that Sandoval cited VRA violation against Hispanics as one if his reasons for the veto.  Was he not paying attention when the GOP brought out their map and several Hispanic groups angrily shot it down?  He could have just left it at a rejection of the Dems' overreaching for a 3-1 map and we wouldn't have thought any less of him.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »

Though the data is from 2000, this should give you a rough idea of the racial distribution in the city:

Each dot is 25 people.  Red = white; blue = black; yellow = Hispanic; green = Asian

(click on it for the larger source image)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »

Ignoring the useless flamewar going on here... the Nevada Latino Redistricting Coalition has decided to release their own map [pdf], which hilariously puts Joe Heck into a 41% Hispanic district, with a 49-28 Democratic registration advantage.

(Ralston points out that it's shaped like a donkey, appropriately enough.  I'd say it's more of a piñata.)

I can't wait for silly season to be over and we get to see what map we'll actually have for the next ten years.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

Splitting Henderson is going to be a no-go, although Heck could probably win a district with that map anyway.

I disagree with both of these statements.  You could be right on your second point if we assume that Heck would run in a district he doesn't live in, based on that map.

Moot point anyway.  These 'official' maps are a pointless waste of time.  A bit like arguing on the internet about it, I suppose.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 03:42:18 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2011, 04:05:15 AM by Joe Republic »

Hehe that's awesome. Outside shot at 3 districts depending on what kind of extremist comes out of the NV-4 primary.

I've no idea who the GOP will put up there, but yeah, probably an extremist.  Steven Horsford will be the Democratic candidate there, and will do fine in this district with a 13pt registration advantage.

John Oceguera would pick NV-1, and who knows where Dina Titus will go.  Probably a rematch with Heck, now that his district will have more Democrats than Republicans.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »

Hehe that's awesome. Outside shot at 3 districts depending on what kind of extremist comes out of the NV-4 primary.

I've no idea who the GOP will put up there, but yeah, probably an extremist.  Steven Horsford will be the Democratic candidate there, and will do fine in this district with a 13pt registration advantage.

John Oceguera would pick NV-1, and who knows where Dina Titus will go.  Probably a rematch with Heck, now that his district will have more Democrats than Republicans.

Reality check, Heck's new district improves Republican performance over his previous district.

My mistake, B.S.  Although, a district Obama theoretically won by 9 points and has a notional GOP registration advantage of 0.6 points is not exactly stable ground for Joe Heck.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »

Given that Steven Horsford wants to run in the 4th, I wonder if he tries to engineer changes to this map to move the rural areas into the 3rd.

How do you propose he does that?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

Did you forget to read my last reply to you, B.S.?  By making Heck's district fractionally more GOP friendly, do you believe he is now safe or something?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies