US House Redistricting: Nevada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:24:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34880 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

Well, we've been waiting for the courts to do something about redistricting... and they've certainly done something.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The state constitution is that vague eh? LOL. You know I really hate state constitutions. They suck and are mischievous, and unleash the robes to make law using texts copied and pasted from the federal version, and then give them whole new meanings. One man's equal protection is another man's political agenda. I'd get rid of them all - yes all. I'm serious. Into the bust bin they go! But then the whole idea of state's rights kind of sucks too. I am just not on the Pubbie boat on that one - at all.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »

But in its order, the Supreme Court called into question whether the governor has the power to veto the redistricting maps, setting up the possibility that the maps drawn by the Democrats could become law.

The order tells the Secretary of State to address the issue.

The constitution provides that the legislature apportion the state by passing a law.  The veto power is part of the Article 4.  Legislative department.  And says that any bill shall be presented to the governor who before it becomes a law must sign it (or let it become law without signature).

The legislature presented a "bill" to the governor.  They did not pass a law, which they are incompetent to do, without either the assent or acquiescence of the governor (or perhaps the connivance of the judiciary).

The text says the apportionment shall be "by passing a law," not presenting a bill to the Governor that becomes law. I don't get it. "Passing" is a rather powerful verb here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »

In the RGV, the thesis was that low propensity to vote Hispanics are more Pub than high propensity ones, and thus the surge in turnout in the RGV in 2020 also moved the numbers to the Pubs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies