US House Redistricting: Nevada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:45:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34926 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« on: July 01, 2022, 12:53:26 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0f6ce3e4-5df2-484c-8bd3-2a8348807065

Tried my hand at a non-partisan NV State Senate map that focuses on COI, compactness, and minroity rights.

I got a 14D-7R breakdown on 2020 Pres numbers (and most other elections) despite the state only being narrowly D. The median seat is Biden + 12 district 3 which is the whiter half of Reno.

I still find it amazing how D leaning Hispanic Las Vegas seats have turnouts of 20-30%, and it's really something Dems must focus on to pull the state their way.

This also partially explains the extreme geography bias in the state; R seats having higher turnout means more votes are wasted in them. If you equalize turnout across all districts on this map adjusted for VAP, you get a Biden + 6 victory. If you do so across precincts you get Biden + 11(!)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 07:57:16 PM »

In the RGV, the thesis was that low propensity to vote Hispanics are more Pub than high propensity ones, and thus the surge in turnout in the RGV in 2020 also moved the numbers to the Pubs.

That's certainly what I hope happened rather than some kind of backlash. I don't know if the results of the TX-34 special disprove that notion or not though.

Feel like you can't use TX-34 to really prove anything other than RGV is a very unreliable region when it comes to turnout and that a Republican CAN win in the right circumstnaces.

I think what makes Las Vegas different from RGV is several thing:

Firstly these are urban Hispanic's we're talking about; we've yet to see a case outside of Cubans in Florida where the GOP has outright won urban Hispanics.

Secondly, Las Vegas also has large Asian, Black, educated and uneducated white folks as well. A universal swing to the extreme right is very difficult unless Dems are collapsing amongst all these groups whereas in the RGV there's really nothing to cancel out Hispanics shift right.

Also the Northeast corner of Las Vegas is blue enough that significantly higher turnout would more than offset a small shift right, simillar to what we saw in some parts of Harris County in 2020. This is also the region that has the worst turnout overall.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies