Ras: Partisan Trends: First GOP Lead Ever
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:39:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ras: Partisan Trends: First GOP Lead Ever
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ras: Partisan Trends: First GOP Lead Ever  (Read 2584 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »

ever = since February 2005, and according to Rasmussen's models.

Well, Rasmussen didn't exactly word it the same way the OP worded the title...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »

Sam, why would Ras's monthly national polling be better than his daily national polling or whatever. What makes up his monthly national polls?  How is it done differently than his shorter term national polls?  I was never aware of this distinction before.  In any event, the same issues of bias arise, lack of cell phone contact, etc.

Well, the first point that I should make is that Rasmussen's partisan trends polling is not done in the same sample in which he does his other political polling. 

Basically, Rasmussen does two daily samples - one for the daily tracking poll (the 500 LV) and one for the Consumer Index (the 500 adults).  I have to assume that the likely voter sample is done differently than the adults sample (but have no proof on that).  Anyway, the party ID question is asked in the Consumer Index sample in order to insulate that result from political questions (which would skew it). 

I agree with the way Rasmussen does this, and the proof is in the pudding - go look back in 2006/2008/2010 and the three-month average of Dem/GOP/Ind in Rasmussen is very much in line with the exit polls.

As for daily/weekly/monthly distinctions, there are none except that the Presidential approval poll is 1500 LV, any weekly polls are 3500 LV (like say Generic Ballot) and any monthly polls are close to 15000 LV.  I'm just noting that the internals of October's monthly poll, if not the poll of the week before look a hell of a lot like the internals of the 2010 exit poll, if not skewed a tad Democratic because of turnout issues.  Which makes why the Generic Ballot was off very interesting, if not confusing or maybe a conspiracy?

Rasmussen's state polling, OTOH, is only 500/750 voters on one day.  Ever since he went to this in 2006, I have questioned it because one-day samples tend to be much less reliable (go ask Vorlon) for a whole host of reasons.  Good support in this theory would be found in this election in that only two Rasmussen polls were conducted over two days - North Dakota and Indiana were quite accurate this election (even though Indiana sucked in 2008 (the only poll then, undoubtedly done because of time zone splits).

Also,  the terms you use are inaccurate IMO.  Rasmussen is not "biased", rather Rasmussen, over the last three cycles, has had a "clear Republican bias" in its state polling.  Cell phone contact may be an issue, it may not - jury's still way out there.  I should add that West Coast polling this year was way off because turnout was quite high among Dems, especially minorities.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »

Regardless of issues over Rassy's methodology/driving the narrative, are we supposed to be surprised by these findings a month after the biggest Republican wave in over 50 years? Give it time people....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 10:36:46 PM »

Thanks Sam. That was a very informative post. So you are saying that the Ras monthly internals were good for Oct as it turned out, but the overall numbers were bad. How would that be possible? The parts don't add up to the sum it seems. Or am I still confused here?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies