Is comparing the Altas Moderators to Nazi Germany hyperbole?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:00:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is comparing the Altas Moderators to Nazi Germany hyperbole?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
Where's the fire? (yes)

Gee I really have no idea. (Lazy Option)

It really depends on the situation (Neutral Hero?)

SOMEDAY YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE THEM.......BOTH YOU AND THEIR HEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSS!!!!! (No)

BRTD, get out of Mechaman's Account!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Is comparing the Altas Moderators to Nazi Germany hyperbole?  (Read 1514 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »

Honestly?  Just a little bit.
I for one don't like what the moderators do (regulating the forum) but to compare them to men in black suits with machine guns who cooked Jews in ovens?  Really guys?
I really don't see how internet banning members (hell they don't even have that power, Dave does) will somehow lead to a Nazi regime.

This is coming from someone who isn't pleased at all with the banning of Libertas (place will be a bit duller without him around).  I'm just saying.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »

The answer is 'no'.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 02:59:11 PM by angus »

Sure, but it's fun.  The banning was reactionary and unnecessary, just as these comparisons to the NSDAP policies are reactionary and unnecessary.  But really, folks are rightfully upset by the banning of Libertas, and they associate the squelching of people and their ideas with fascism.  

¡Viva Libertas!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »

For the record... let's stay away from comparing the mods to Nazi's "banning" Jews.  If you want to call me a Nazi, fine, whatever, I've been called much worse (that actually brings some humorous stories to mind), but when you say that the banning of Libertas is like the Nazis banning Jews, you have crossed a serious line that is extremely offensive and demeaning to the Jews who went through the Holocaust.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 04:47:52 PM by angus »

For the record... let's stay away from comparing the mods to Nazi's "banning" Jews.  If you want to call me a Nazi, fine, whatever, I've been called much worse (that actually brings some humorous stories to mind), but when you say that the banning of Libertas is like the Nazis banning Jews, you have crossed a serious line that is extremely offensive and demeaning to the Jews who went through the Holocaust.

I don't think anyone is comparing the banning of Libertas to any holocaust.  At least I have seen no specific references to the Final Solution herein, except by Mechaman in his OP.  But that post misconstrues and misrepresents all previous comparisons, don't you think?  The posters in the recent Libertas threads are merely comparing the moderators to Nazis.  Their signatures compare the moderators to Nazis.  The NSDAP government is well known for the repression of it citizens and their viewpoints, and for having folks with whom they disagreed mysteriously disappear.  The comparison, though overstated, is apt. I will grant, mein Obersturmführer, that you have not literally sent Libertas to the Russian Front, or imprisoned him, or forced him to undergo quasi-scientific medical experiments, but for the purposes of this forum, and the existence of his on-line persona herein, you might as well have done just that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »

The specific post I'm referring to said, "Saying that it's 'Dave's board and Dave's rules' isn't really a justification for supporting the ban.  It's like saying you support the 'banning' of Jews during World War II because it was 'Hitler's Germany and Hitler's rules.'"

Morgan may say that he wasn't comparing it to the Holocaust, but when I see somebody talking about "the banning of Jews," that's what it sounds like to me... and that won't be tolerated.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »

There are rules of decent conduct and Libertas broke them time, and time again - he was banned for that, and that alone.

The default position whether left, right or wherever the hell Libertas and his ilk consider themselves to reside... is to scream 'Hitler' or 'Nazi' whenever they get offended by something.

It's total hyperbole, Libertas showed consistent disrespect for the rules of decent political discourse - banning him after a long-run is not Nazism - it's the rules, grow up.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »

The default position whether left, right or wherever the hell Libertas and his ilk consider themselves to reside...
nice aim.

it's not hyperbole, exactly. it's a metaphor of some kind. or an allegory. maybe a simile in some cases, though i wouldn't use it as a simile. okay, if it's a simile, i suppose it could be hyperbole also.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »

If it's not done with intentional hyperbole it's a sign of something much much darker/worse.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »

For the record... let's stay away from comparing the mods to Nazi's "banning" Jews.  If you want to call me a Nazi, fine, whatever, I've been called much worse (that actually brings some humorous stories to mind), but when you say that the banning of Libertas is like the Nazis banning Jews, you have crossed a serious line that is extremely offensive and demeaning to the Jews who went through the Holocaust.

Well, Jews did get hit with the banhammer by Hitlol. This is common knowledge.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »

it's not hyperbole, exactly. it's a metaphor of some kind.

Idiotic, sensless and offensive methaphor.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »

Sure it's Hyperbole. Hyperbole by definition is using exaggerated humor to prove a point, which people are doing.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »

Not so much hyperbole as stupid. Saying you're "starving" when you eat regularly and last did so several hours ago is hyperbole. Comparing a two-bit dictator to Hitler is hyperbole. Comparing the moderators of the Atlas Forum to Nazis is so utterly ignorant and lazy that it ought to be a bannable offense. Oh noez, now I'm the Nasi!!!111
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »

Ummm...Yeah.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

Sure it's Hyperbole. Hyperbole by definition is using exaggerated humor to prove a point, which people are doing.

But it wasn't humorous.  It was stupid and offensive.  I don't care if you want to call it hyperbole or something else, if people are going to compare what we are doing to the historical events of the killing of innocent people, those posts will get deleted.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »

it's not hyperbole, exactly. it's a metaphor of some kind.

Idiotic, sensless and offensive methaphor.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »

"Hyperbole" does not imply humor.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

Hyperbole? Nonsense!

Go on---name one Jew who was allowed to log on to the internet in Nazi Germany. See? Told you!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies