Biggest political differences within a state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:02:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biggest political differences within a state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Excluding NYC and Chicago, where are the biggest political differences of two regions within the same state?
northeastern Ohio vs. southwestern Ohio

southeastern Pennsylvania vs. the rest of Pennsylvania

we4dtern Michigan vs. eastern Michigan

western Washington vs. eastern Washington

eastern Iowa vs. western Iowa

southern Florida vs. northern Florida

other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Biggest political differences within a state  (Read 4160 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 03:31:20 PM »

Maryland: DC-Baltimore corridor- Rest of state.

Luckily, the DC-Balt is a lot bigger than the rest of the state, so it's a reliably Democratic one. Look at a county map, and you'll see what I mean.

Maryland and Pennsylvania are very similar in that respect.  I agree with this assessment.  Some parts of MD make me think I'm in Massachusetts and others make me think I'm in Alabama.  New Jersey has some surprising differences as well for being such a small state.
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2004, 05:41:45 PM »

It's PA.  Basically the whole state was carried democrat on Pittsburg and Philadelphia.  A huge percent in Phila voted democrat, like 75%, and in all the rural areas everyone was bush.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2004, 07:31:15 PM »

Luckily, the DC-Balt is a lot bigger than the rest of the state, so it's a reliably Democratic one. Look at a county map, and you'll see what I mean.

Maryland and Pennsylvania are very similar in that respect.  I agree with this assessment.  Some parts of MD make me think I'm in Massachusetts and others make me think I'm in Alabama.  New Jersey has some surprising differences as well for being such a small state.

Some parts of MD make me feel like I'm in the Bronx. (Go to an Orioles game and you'll see what I mean) Maryland has a lot of people who could be from the Philly area, but I don't think we have too many blue-collar pro-life "Pittsburgh" Democrats.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 07:40:16 PM »

The northeastern and central part of wisconsin is the opposite of the rest.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 07:41:13 PM »

Some parts of MD make me feel like I'm in the Bronx. (Go to an Orioles game and you'll see what I mean) Maryland has a lot of people who could be from the Philly area, but I don't think we have too many blue-collar pro-life "Pittsburgh" Democrats.

"Pittsburgh Democrats" could be found in NE Philly to a point as well.  I wouldn't think you have many in Maryland.  You either have really liberal in the Balt-Wash corridor or really conservative in the mountains or Eastern Shore.  Pennsylvania has a very wide cross-section on the political compass of Liberal-Libertarian-Populist-Conservative.  
JohnG
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »

Southern Texas vs. rest of state

Some of the strongest democratic counties are found in Texas. Some of the strongest republican counties are found in Texas.

Overall I would say that the greatest general political difference is the Austin area verses the rest of Texas.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 01:11:14 AM »

Their are a lot of conservatives in N.W. Baltimore City and in Baltimore County north of the city.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 07:00:33 AM »

Their are a lot of conservatives in N.W. Baltimore City and in Baltimore County north of the city.

They don't really hold much power, it seems to me, or at least enough power to get their candidates elected.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies