In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:55:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly?  (Read 2818 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »

is he saying if someone weren't so simple, they would compromise their religious beliefs?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:03:52 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think what he meant is when people spend their lives in a reality that falls short of the good ‘ole days, and public officials consistently fail to deliver on their promises, it is easy to become cynical about anyone or anything that carries with it the promise of a better future. Instead, people find scapegoats to blame for it all and then turn inward to God and tradition - the two most good and wholesome things in life to many of them that, no matter what happens, cannot be taken away.

Those who lack hope must fill in its place other things to cope.

Edit: Which in hindsight I suppose is a less thorough variation of what Lief explained!

but, the way Obama said it was that "clinging to religion" is bad.  I wonder if Obama thought the lives Paul, Peter, and Jesus were examples of people who lived out their lives "clinging to religion"?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

really?  so "clinging" to honesty and integrity is "bad"?   That is the whole point of this thread - what, exactly, was "bad" about their religion?

...or, was the "problem" the mere fact these clingers were willing to stand for something and therefore expose the flaws in Obama's character?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »

but, the way Obama said it was that "clinging to religion" is bad.  I wonder if Obama thought the lives Paul, Peter, and Jesus were examples of people who lived out their lives "clinging to religion"?

If Paul had clung to his religion, he never would have stopped persecuting those who believed that Jesus was the messiah.  Indeed, the whole New Testament is about how people should not cling to their religion simply because it is what they have traditionally believed in.

Roll Eyes  obviously, Paul left his old beliefs, but found a new set which he "clinged" to even more, even to death.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »

True, but my point was that Paul didn't cling to those new beliefs because they were a venerable tradition handed down to him from those who raised him.  If one takes the account of his conversion on the road to Damascus as accurate and truthful, then when presented with evidence suggesting those beliefs might not be correct, instead of rejecting the evidence a priori because it contradicted what he had already believed, he considered it and used it to form a new conclusion.

so, then you're saying the religion of those Obama is referring to is wrong?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies