In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Obama's mind, what does "clinging to religion' mean, exactly?  (Read 2807 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »

but, the way Obama said it was that "clinging to religion" is bad.  I wonder if Obama thought the lives Paul, Peter, and Jesus were examples of people who lived out their lives "clinging to religion"?

If Paul had clung to his religion, he never would have stopped persecuting those who believed that Jesus was the messiah.  Indeed, the whole New Testament is about how people should not cling to their religion simply because it is what they have traditionally believed in.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »

True, but my point was that Paul didn't cling to those new beliefs because they were a venerable tradition handed down to him from those who raised him.  If one takes the account of his conversion on the road to Damascus as accurate and truthful, then when presented with evidence suggesting those beliefs might not be correct, instead of rejecting the evidence a priori because it contradicted what he had already believed, he considered it and used it to form a new conclusion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »

No, I'm saying that clinging to one's beliefs without ever examining them is wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies