Swiss election and referendum maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Swiss election and referendum maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Swiss election and referendum maps  (Read 13482 times)
palandio

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

I'm native from Valais, and there I know several people that say that they agree with SVP's on nationalist and security topics, but still stay faithful to CVP for economic issues and other topics. Switzerland become so prosperous under economical policies based on the consensus mainstream CVP-FDP. We never had big economical crisis that challenged this consensus (unlike UK in the 70s).
My impression is that while being quite to the right on many issues many Swiss people are also quite consensus-oriented. Even in many conservative cantons like St. Gallen a majority of voters seems to prefer SP members in the cantonal government over SVP members. And the reason might be that many SVP politicians are perceived as uncompromising loudspeakers.

@ Thomas: Thank you for the map. And thank you for doing a district level map that illustrates quite nicely the urban/rural and the language divide.
Upsilon
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2014, 05:43:45 PM by Upsilon »

Yes, only SVP voters vote for SVP politicians. They are generally rejected by voters of the others parties, even if they share a part of their opinion.

To illustrate the fact that supporting SVP views on security and isolationism doesn't mean supporting it on others topics, take the SVP-inspirated healthcare reform of 2008, voted by the parliament, heavily rejected by the voters :

http://www.predikon.ch/fr/votation/article-constitutionnel-du-21-12-2007-qualite-et-efficacite-economique-dans-lassurance-maladie
Upsilon
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2014, 05:44:17 PM by Upsilon »

Before clicking on the link below, notice that the diagram has nothing to do with the political matrix : horizontal axis means Left/Right BUT curiously political left is on the right and political right is on the left. Vertical axis means pro-ecology (up) or agains (bottom).

Notice the homogeneity of French Switzerland on the left/right axis : lefty Geneva vote the same as her wealthy southern suburbs, while their politicians keep on fighting in parliament (but like in France, politics in Geneva is at first a comedy).

Notice also big differences between neighbouring communes : there is a huge difference between the votes of French-speaking Rougemont and German-speaking Saanen, while they are both resorts of the same ski area.

Swiss communes mapgasm
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2014, 09:34:14 PM by Thomas from NJ »

@ Thomas: Thank you for the map. And thank you for doing a district level map that illustrates quite nicely the urban/rural and the language divide.

I'm glad you liked it! I got the information needed to make the map from wahlatlas.info. They had a district-level map of the Yes vote only. I decided to make one that showed clearly which districts voted Yes and which voted No.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »

Man, my ancestral home district voted for the gun control referendum. Sad
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57