Canada: What if the Progressives displaced the Liberals? (Or the Tories!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Canada: What if the Progressives displaced the Liberals? (Or the Tories!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Canada: What if the Progressives displaced the Liberals? (Or the Tories!)  (Read 10077 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2010, 04:59:15 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2010, 05:02:20 AM by Teddy (SoFE) »

Sadly, the Clark government could not remain popular forever. The government made a number of policy mis-steps in it's second term. Encouraged by data showing it would bring economic benefits, the Clark government brought in Free Trade with the USA. They also introduced a sales tax (the GST) as suggested by economists to help tackle the deficit. Broadbent and the Progressives decided to go full-force on attacking Free Trade, while Manning and his Reformers focused on the new taxes.

In 1992, Joe Clark decided to step down as Prime Minister after serving 8 years. Jean Charest won the leadership election to succeed him. Charest attempted to walk a line between supporting the past policies of the government while also recognizing that some policies may have been unpopular. While it did not win over the electorate, he was able to rebound in the polls.

Pro - 149 (Broadbent)
L-C - 57 (Charest)
Ref - 55 (Manning)
Bloc - 34 (Bouchard)

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »

Bad News
I’ve been trying to keep my computer clean so I have space for games. At some point I deleted the excel file that I used to

keep track of all of this, while on another date, I deleted the images I took of that file thinking I still had the file. Therefore, this

storyline, is over. A summary of what would have happened from here.
1 – Reform takes over as the main right-wing party, with Harper becoming PM in 2006.
2 – Layton takes the place of Paul Martin and leads a minority in 2004.
3 – Mike Harris becomes Reform Premier of Ontario.
These are the basics, that should give you a quick run-down of what would have happened from here on in.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies