Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:36:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act  (Read 2385 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »

In a straight party line vote of 57-42 (Reid voted no for Procedural reasons) the Republicans in the Senate Blocked the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.  Truly just beyond sickening

That's really the more sad part of the story. That things can be so easily blocked even with 57 votes in favor.

This country is screwed.

When y'all get to be in the minority in 2012 you can control the Senate too.

Don't get me wrong, I think the filibuster on paper is a neat idea that should be kept around for use when really needed. But not for every little thing. Using a Senate procedure to block help for those hurt by 9/11 is about as sleazy as you can get. (And of course, the American people are too stupid to take much notice.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »

So I guess the pubs abandoning their principles is something you don't want to address, cinyc?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »

So I guess the pubs abandoning their principles is something you don't want to address, cinyc?

What principles?  That the unemployment extension should be payed for?  Something that's been a principle for a short period?  The next House will take that up along with cuts to government spending.  You have to give a little to get a little.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »

What principles?  That the unemployment extension should be payed for?  Something that's been a principle for a short period?  The next House will take that up along with cuts to government spending.  You have to give a little to get a little.

It seems to have been a pretty forceful principle, and since when did the length of time it's been a fundamental principle matter?   Yeah you have to give up principles to get what you want......a brilliant strategy.  Roll Eyes

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »

In a straight party line vote of 57-42 (Reid voted no for Procedural reasons) the Republicans in the Senate Blocked the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.  Truly just beyond sickening

That's really the more sad part of the story. That things can be so easily blocked even with 57 votes in favor.

This country is screwed.

When y'all get to be in the minority in 2012 you can control the Senate too.

Don't get me wrong, I think the filibuster on paper is a neat idea that should be kept around for use when really needed. But not for every little thing. Using a Senate procedure to block help for those hurt by 9/11 is about as sleazy as you can get. (And of course, the American people are too stupid to take much notice.)
This is it. 60 vote requirement in the Senate is forever. There's no going back.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 01:15:16 AM »

What part of no bills will get on the floor until the tax cut and government funding bills are passed don't Democrats understand?  The only bill the Senate acted upon in the lame duck session is the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act - and that's probably because cloture was brought before the Republicans made their priorities known.  Those should be the priorities of the American people, too - not, like many of the other bills Democrats want to raise in the lame duck session, goodies for the Democratic base like the DREAM Act.

The only other thing the full Senate has done since coming back is hold a judicial impeachment trial.

Probably one of the most destructive bills in American history, literally. The Democrat party hates freedom, seriously.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies