BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:20:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14179 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »
« edited: December 09, 2010, 05:21:21 PM by jmfcst »

Yeah, quoting the Bible is a great argument against it.

it either is or it isn't, but the most elusive aspect of jmfcst is his apathy toward a basic fact that he even must know: the GOP's action in this case has less than nothing to do with 1 Peter 4:4-5.  he would likely reply that this doesn't matter, as even if the GOP's stance on the side of Light in this case is incidental, the fact that they are being "mocked" for it is suggestive of our movement towards the End Times.

1 Peter 4:4-5 has EVERYTHING to do with this since the context of the verse is in regard to immorality – that immoral people think it strange you don’t agree with them, and they heap abuse on you due to your stand.

Now, that doesn’t mean I believe most of GOP elected officials care anything about morality, a good portion voted against repeal simply because they’re afraid of people like me voting them out of office in the next primary.  So, give me the credit for this vote.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »

it either is or it isn't, but the most elusive aspect of jmfcst is his apathy toward a basic fact that he even must know: the GOP's action in this case has less than nothing to do with 1 Peter 4:4-5.  he would likely reply that this doesn't matter, as even if the GOP's stance on the side of Light in this case is incidental, the fact that they are being "mocked" for it is suggestive of our movement towards the End Times.

1 Peter 4:4-5 has EVERYTHING to do with this since the context of the verse is in regard to immorality – that immoral people think it strange you don’t agree with them, and they heap abuse on you due to your stand.

Now, that doesn’t mean I believe most of GOP elected officials care anything about morality, a good portion voted against repeal simply because they’re afraid of people like me voting them out of office in the next primary.  So, give me the credit for this vote.

Mu.  Because of mu, you have contributed to keeping up something that has harmed the military and has kept qualified individuals from serving.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »

Mu.  Because of mu, you have contributed to keeping up something that has harmed the military and has kept qualified individuals from serving.

"mu"?!  Oh, I get it...[clears throat] Baa-ram-ewe. Baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

"mu"?!  Oh, I get it...[clears throat] Baa-ram-ewe. Baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

You're raving.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »

Well I guess its good that you admit you are a hate filled bigot that would vote out those that don't share your hate, venom and bigotry....
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »

Eh, gay people are more likely than not going to spend an eternity suffering for an offense that really (IMO) doesn't terribly warrant such a punishment. Might as well let them be happy and do what they want in this world (provided they can maintain a professional decorum) since they're basically screwed in the long-run for basically being born unlucky. It sucks that homosexuality is a sin, but what do you want us to do? Ask God to re-write the bible?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »

Eh, gay people are more likely than not going to spend an eternity suffering for an offense that really (IMO) doesn't terribly warrant such a punishment. Might as well let them be happy and do what they want in this world (provided they can maintain a professional decorum) since they're basically screwed in the long-run for basically being born unlucky. It sucks that homosexuality is a sin, but what do you want us to do? Ask God to re-write the bible?

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  carry on.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  carry on.

It looks like you're finally starting to realize that not everyone thinks the Bible is the literal word of truth, and that just posting a Bible verse as though it answers everyone's question settles the issue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »

Why do people still get into Bible quoting wards with jm? He thinks that the Bible should be taken literally in every instance. Most of us don't. There really isn't a point in discussing it any further especially when it comes to gays.

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.

Agreed and I really don't care about this issue/lean towards supporting the repeal.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »

Disappointing, but unfortunately...not surprising.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2010, 05:47:56 PM by jmfcst »

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  carry on.

It looks like you're finally starting to realize that not everyone thinks the Bible is the literal word of truth, and that just posting a Bible verse as though it answers everyone's question settles the issue.

no, actually I simply wanted to get back to rejoicing over the vote, or lack thereof, and not arguing with those who reject the bible as the word of God.  

So....Adieu!  Auf wiedersehen!  Gesundheit.  Farewell.  Merry Christmas.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »

this is you jmfcst
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2010, 05:57:11 PM by jmfcst »

no, rather my God gave his life to save homosexuals, indwell them with his spirit, and give them a new nature.  my God takes no pleasure in the destruction of anyone, but wants all to come to repentance.  even you.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

One thing to note is it seems the DADT will get a stand alone vote, its something Collins and Lieberman are working on and Reid has said he will support bringing it to the floor and while no timetable is set when a vote will be held, it will be prior to the lame duck session ending.  
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »

no, rather my God gave his live to save homosexuals, indwell them with his spirit, and give them a new nature.  my God takes no pleasure in the destruction of anyone, but wants all to come to repentance.  even you.

im not gay

but you likely are
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

One thing to note is it seems the DADT will get a stand alone vote, its something Collins and Lieberman are working on and Reid has said he will support bringing it to the floor and while no timetable is set when a vote will be held, it will be prior to the lame duck session ending.  

That's good to hear.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

I'm half sad and half happy with this vote.  But yeah, you're right, it's not really all that shocking.

Why does ongoing employment discrimination make you happy? You, of all people, should be sensitive to work issues.

It doesn't, but I have both my current Democratic ideology coming out and I also have my Republican upbringing and surroundings both coming into play here.  In my heart, I side with my Democratic friends and we should repeal it.  Mind you, I'm not a fan at all of the GLBT lifestyle, but as Hillary Clinton put it, you don't have to be straight to shoot straight.

Can somebody translate this into a cogent argument? As I read it, it's completely non-sequitor.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »

Why does the GOP even bother making these lame excuses? It about amendments or budgeting or that I can't do votes on Tuesdays on months with an r in them. It's perfectly obvious where they stand.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »

I'm half sad and half happy with this vote.  But yeah, you're right, it's not really all that shocking.

Why does ongoing employment discrimination make you happy? You, of all people, should be sensitive to work issues.

It doesn't, but I have both my current Democratic ideology coming out and I also have my Republican upbringing and surroundings both coming into play here.  In my heart, I side with my Democratic friends and we should repeal it.  Mind you, I'm not a fan at all of the GLBT lifestyle, but as Hillary Clinton put it, you don't have to be straight to shoot straight.

Can somebody translate this into a cogent argument? As I read it, it's completely non-sequitor.

Basically Bushie is saying that he was brought up to have hate and venom at those who are different, and while he doesn't totally share that view of hate, bigotry and venom he still shares part of it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »

no, rather my God gave his live to save homosexuals, indwell them with his spirit, and give them a new nature.  my God takes no pleasure in the destruction of anyone, but wants all to come to repentance.  even you.

im not gay

but you likely are

Rochambeau and jmf - most obvious closet cases.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »

Why does the GOP even bother making these lame excuses? It about amendments or budgeting or that I can't do votes on Tuesdays on months with an r in them. It's perfectly obvious where they stand.

If DADT repeal comes back for a vote and a lot of Republicans cross over to vote for it, I think it would all be fine.  The problem is that the DADT repeal has gotten caught in the crossfire over other issues, namely the tax cuts.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »

im not gay

but you likely are

i never said you were gay, simply said God want you to come to repentance.

but, how, exactly, am I likely gay?  the only three men I find sexy is me myself and I.  of course, I've only been brainwashed into thinking so.

1Pet 4:4 "They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you."

I guess part of the "abuse" being heaped on me is an accusation about my sexual orientation.  oh well, so be it.

can I get back to gloating and rejoicing now?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »

Those pigs are in my neighborhood this week, protesting at the high school I went to for freshman year and then the high school at which I spent the rest of my time. Can't wait for the counter protests.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

but, how, exactly, am I likely gay?  the only three men I find sexy is me myself and I.  of course, I've only been brainwashed into thinking so.

Well, that explains a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies