BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14162 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 06:12:56 PM »

jmfcst is amusing.

If only the Republicans could oppose expanding government with the same uniformity and devotion that they oppose repealing DADT.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2010, 06:17:16 PM by Holmes »

Good on Collins. I won't miss Brown or Snowe.

Also lol @ Kirk. Let a fun self-hating six years begin.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

Everything I read indicated the GOP wanted the ability to add more amendments.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch any of this on C-SPAN, but that was my understanding.

And Collins didn't vote for repeal.  Nobody voted for repeal... this was a cloture vote on the ENTIRE Defense Authorization bill.  You people are acting like DADT was all that was in this bill...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

One thing to note is it seems the DADT will get a stand alone vote, its something Collins and Lieberman are working on and Reid has said he will support bringing it to the floor and while no timetable is set when a vote will be held, it will be prior to the lame duck session ending.  
Why does the GOP even bother making these lame excuses? It about amendments or budgeting or that I can't do votes on Tuesdays on months with an r in them. It's perfectly obvious where they stand.

In that case, why did Scott Brown vote against invoking cloture, when he has previously said he will support the repeal of DADT?

I don't see why Reid is trying to repeal DADT with this bill.  If he did it on its own, simply amending 10 U.S.C. § 654, I think it'd easily pass.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »

Those pigs are in my neighborhood this week, protesting at the high school I went to for freshman year and then the high school at which I spent the rest of my time. Can't wait for the counter protests.

Apparently there are "demon possessed brats" at your Alma Mater, Phil.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »

In that case, why did Scott Brown vote against invoking cloture, when he has previously said he will support the repeal of DADT?

I don't see why Reid is trying to repeal DADT with this bill.  If he did it on its own, simply amending 10 U.S.C. § 654, I think it'd easily pass.

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.  Collins seems to have forgotten this, but it didn't matter.  Given who will control the House next year, it is a very good strategy for Republicans - running out the clock on the Democratic agenda, largely (but not exclusively) featuring wish list of goodies for their special interest groups that don't stand a chance of passing the House next year. 

Democrats don't like this and have resorted to call Republicans and the President names, but elections have consequences.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »

I love how CNN keeps saying, "Republicans were coming out in support of this..."

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Good on Collins. I won't miss Brown or Snowe.

Also lol @ Kirk. Let a fun self-hating six years begin.

Kirk is off to a wonderful 'moderate' start. Let alone this issue, one of the first things I heard him speak about recently was on MSNBC, where he stated that tax cuts needed to be extended "no matter what" but unemployment benefits should be extended "only if they're completely paid for."

Remember, supporting Kirk was the "responsible thing to do."
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »

Eh, gay people are more likely than not going to spend an eternity suffering for an offense that really (IMO) doesn't terribly warrant such a punishment. Might as well let them be happy and do what they want in this world (provided they can maintain a professional decorum) since they're basically screwed in the long-run for basically being born unlucky. It sucks that homosexuality is a sin, but what do you want us to do? Ask God to re-write the bible?

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  carry on.

Oh come on Jmf, it's silly to cause more discomfort for homosexuals when they're already forced to lead very uncomfortable lives if they wish to be saved. Provided that they can maintain a professional atmosphere, is it really that big of a deal that they can disclose their sexuality? Maybe the military will help facilitate leadership skills, physical fitness, discipline and camaraderie that homosexuals can use to lead more productive, happier lives. It could be something they could take solace in when they finally answer for their sins to their creator.

I mean, we all want to lead happy lives, and the existence of homosexuality doesn't impinge upon my happiness, nor should it your's or anyone else's. Just let them be happy; in the long run, this is all ephemeral and we're all dead.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »

Mind you, I'm not a fan at all of the GLBT lifestyle

WTF is the gay "lifestyle"? Don't just repeat stupid talking points.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.

That I disagree with.  It's not like we need more debate to fix the tax bill... the GOP and Dem heads just need to sit down and hammer out an agreement.  Unless they plan on being on the floor debating the bill, let's move on to other issues.  That's the entire reason there's a dual track for legislation.

I gotta say... I disagree with the GOP on this one.  Although, their other reasons (amendments and time) I see as valid.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.  Collins seems to have forgotten this, but it didn't matter.  Given who will control the House next year, it is a very good strategy for Republicans - running out the clock on the Democratic agenda, largely (but not exclusively) featuring wish list of goodies for their special interest groups that don't stand a chance of passing the House next year. 

Democrats don't like this and have resorted to call Republicans and the President names, but elections have consequences.

http://wglb-tv.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-cbs-poll-repeal-dadt-says-31.html
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 06:39:24 PM »

On an off topic(ish) note, why has there been such a crossover from "LGBT" to "GLBT"?  I see it the latter way a lot more... is there a reason for that?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »

What's your point?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »

Yeah,  because hacks like cynic give a damn about what the people think (unless of course they are millionaires).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »

On an off topic(ish) note, why has there been such a crossover from "LGBT" to "GLBT"?  I see it the latter way a lot more... is there a reason for that?

People like gays more than lesbians? -shrug- there's no difference.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »

On this forum..? I'd have strong doubts about that.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »

Republicans will not allow any bills to come to the Senate floor in the lame duck session until the Senate passes a tax bill and continuing resolution to fund the government.

That I disagree with.  It's not like we need more debate to fix the tax bill... the GOP and Dem heads just need to sit down and hammer out an agreement.  Unless they plan on being on the floor debating the bill, let's move on to other issues.  That's the entire reason there's a dual track for legislation.

I gotta say... I disagree with the GOP on this one.  Although, their other reasons (amendments and time) I see as valid.

House Democrats voted to oppose the tax bill today.   (Or since "hostage taking" seems to be the over-the-top political rhetoric of the day, should we call that holding tax cuts for the poor hostage to engage in class warfare?)  It is not a done deal.  No done deal.  No votes on anything else - that's the Republican position.  The side benefit of that is that some liberal agenda items that won't see the light of day in a divided Congress won't get passed if there is no time.  The clock is ticking.

It's a win-win for Republicans.  Not so much for Democrats, who have been used to getting their own way for the past 2 years.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

Oh no, now we should abolish the filibuster.  Until Republicans regain control of the Senate.

I think this is retarded, nonetheless.  Gay people should be allowed to serve openly in the military.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »

It's a win-win for Republicans.  Not so much for Democrats, who have been used to getting their own way for the past 2 years.

Yeah, we've just been getting everything we want without any setbacks for the last two years. It's been wild.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »

On an off topic(ish) note, why has there been such a crossover from "LGBT" to "GLBT"?  I see it the latter way a lot more... is there a reason for that?

On this forum..? I'd have strong doubts about that.

No... I've noticed it in news articles more than anywhere else.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »

That I disagree with.  It's not like we need more debate to fix the tax bill... the GOP and Dem heads just need to sit down and hammer out an agreement.  Unless they plan on being on the floor debating the bill, let's move on to other issues.  That's the entire reason there's a dual track for legislation.

I gotta say... I disagree with the GOP on this one.  Although, their other reasons (amendments and time) I see as valid.

House Democrats voted to oppose the tax bill today.   (Or since "hostage taking" seems to be the over-the-top political rhetoric of the day, should we call that holding tax cuts for the poor hostage to engage in class warfare?)  It is not a done deal.  No done deal.  No votes on anything else - that's the Republican position.  The side benefit of that is that some liberal agenda items that won't see the light of day in a divided Congress won't get passed if there is no time.  The clock is ticking.

It's a win-win for Republicans.  Not so much for Democrats, who have been used to getting their own way for the past 2 years.

I realize why the Republicans are doing it.  I just disagree with it.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »

I love how CNN keeps saying, "Republicans were coming out in support of this..."

Haha Niiiiice.

I was hoping that with an influx of new people, Republicans would be less likely to act like politicians and actually hold up a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Damn I hate it when im wrong Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »

It's simply crazy that a policy with this broad base of support [~70%, more than basically every other "controversial" issue combined], has trouble being passed by itself, let alone attached to an important defense authorization bill.   Seems like every remotely moderate Senator should be behind not filibustering funding our military, even if it means allowing our troops to be as gay as Israel's, Australia's or the UK's.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »

It's simply crazy that a policy with this broad base of support [~70%, more than basically every other "controversial" issue combined], has trouble being passed by itself, let alone attached to an important defense authorization bill.   Seems like every remotely moderate Senator should be behind not filibustering funding our military, even if it means allowing our troops to be as gay as Israel's, Australia's or the UK's.

Come on Lunar... there are even Democrats who want to offer amendments to the bill.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies