BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:23:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14177 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:37 AM »

Couldn't the military separate gays into their own special unit? Women are already mostly separated from men, separate bunks, showers.

They don't do that in several other NATO countries and Israel, despite the fact that gays may serve openly; there is no evidence of any issues with unit cohesion, morale, or readiness in those countries' services.

We're talking about the US military. Co-ed units do not exist, should mixed hetero/homosexual units exist? I have no problem with the military separating behaviors, like men/women.
Basic training, ground combat and submarines are the only places women can't serve along side men in the US military and submarine one is in the process of changing.  Also, it's not like thousands of women haven't been shot at and shot back at the bad guys in our last several military actions due to the asymmetrical way our enemies chose to fight us.  They just aren't allowed in pure ground combat units.  Every unit I was in (except in Basic and even then we had a "sister" Flight) had women in it.  With an exception or two they made pretty lousy technicians.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »

Couldn't the military separate gays into their own special unit? Women are already mostly separated from men, separate bunks, showers.

Ah, government mandated segregation. Sounds lovely. Viva Plessy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »

Wait wait......don't you boys know the Republicans have principles?  They're standing on principle blocking all legislation until the tax deal goes through.  It's a shame we just don't understand, eh fellas?  Roll Eyes
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »

My prediction is at least 65-35 passage, if not 70-30 as a stand-alone bill.

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2010, 09:34:24 AM »

65-35?  that's 7 out of 42 GOP Senators....no way.  every GOP member knows whoever votes for repeal of DADT will be primaried.  at most, you'll have 2-3 GOP defections.  The GOP is simply trying to stall until January, when there wont be a snow ball's chance of this passing.  They should be honest and state their opposition.

I can't believe that even extreme fiscal conservatives are going to be primaried for voting to repeal DADT in an age where most people are more worried about the economy and jobs
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »

I can't believe that even extreme fiscal conservatives are going to be primaried for voting to repeal DADT in an age where most people are more worried about the economy and jobs

An IIRC it was close to 80% in favor of repeal in the polls.......so yeah, I think it will be "bipartisan".
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »

who are these "extreme fiscal conservatives" of the GOP who are leaning to vote for repeal? 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »

Memphis, behavior =/= race. Get it? So I suppose you support coed showers and bunking?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

I guess if you just keep repeating a lie, then you'll expect people to believe it?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »

Being homosexual is as much a behavior as writing with your left hand.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »

Ah, so sexual behavior is a myth. Ok, I apologize then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »

For the five hundredth time, homosexuality is a BEHAVIOR it's not the same as race.

I guess if you just keep repeating a lie, then you'll expect people to believe it?

Isn't that the motto of the Republican party?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »

Ah, so sexual behavior is a myth. Ok, I apologize then.

Behavior is what you do, not what orientation you have...is that so complicated? You have your own views about what constitutes acceptable behavior, of course.

Why is it any different to allow homosexuals to serve....than, say, allowing hot women that I'd like to have sex with to serve?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

I believe that's the motto of virtually every political party.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »

Well States the blacks could just paint themselves white so that they could be "normal" like you want them.   After all, that's essentially what you're asking gay and lesbian men and women to do.

LOL, you're an idiot.

So then you fully support co-ed military units? Quit making up lies and answer the question.

Mu.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »

I believe that's the motto of virtually every political party.

Hey, at least Democrats don't ignore scientific facts if they contradict their moralistic, biblical fantasies.
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »

True, heterosexual sex isn't a behavior either. Guess your post dodges mean I'm right again.

Mu.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »

In other news, it appears that outgoing Senator Blanche Lincoln - who was on the wrong end of a 57% to 37% landslide, setting a new record for an incumbent Senator's defeat Wink - missed the vote because she was at a dentist appointment.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

Mu.  Because of mu, you have contributed to keeping up something that has harmed the military and has kept qualified individuals from serving.

"mu"?!  Oh, I get it...[clears throat] Baa-ram-ewe. Baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

You're raving.

so, does this mean "mu" isn't sheep talk?! 

How about moose talk?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVqG8DuA5As
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »

Nope.  It is a third option to "yes" or "no," meaning that you consider the questioner's point to be either irrelevant or to be thoroughly constructed with questionable or incorrect assumptions, but where you realize you're not getting paid to play surgeon with their points.  It is, in my view, similar to the concept of "not even wrong."
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

Nope.  It is a third option to "yes" or "no," meaning that you consider the questioner's point to be either irrelevant or to be thoroughly constructed with questionable or incorrect assumptions, but where you realize you're not getting paid to play surgeon with their points.  It is, in my view, similar to the concept of "not even wrong."

HA!  So, it's basically a retort to anything Al Gore says.  Why didn't you just say so?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

In other news, it appears that outgoing Senator Blanche Lincoln - who was on the wrong end of a 57% to 37% landslide, setting a new record for an incumbent Senator's defeat Wink - missed the vote because she was at a dentist appointment.

Hey, at least she managed to pass what was undoubtedly a top priority among Arkansas voters: to lower the estate tax.
Now that's a legacy that will live along those of Ted Kennedy and Howard Baker.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »

but, again, probably only half of the GOP Senators are social conservatives at heart.

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »

1. Collins
2. Snowe
3. Brown
4. Murkowski
5. Graham
6. Hatch
7. Paul

That's at least 7.

LOL at Hatch. The guy has become worse than McCain (not that it will save him in the primary).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies