Ron Paul, Author of ‘End the Fed,’ to Lead Fed Panel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Paul, Author of ‘End the Fed,’ to Lead Fed Panel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul, Author of ‘End the Fed,’ to Lead Fed Panel  (Read 1902 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »

The idea that there are polls on public opinion of the Federal Reserve and it's potential oversight is hilarious to me. I doubt 10% of the population could explain what the Fed even does.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 01:40:16 AM »

I doubt 10% of the population could explain what the Fed even does.

I doubt 10% of congress could explain what the Fed even does.

Probably right, unfortunately.

Since Libby is now finally gone I suppose I might get a real answer instead of "OMG STATIST FASCISM BLAH BLAH BLAH" if I ask how regular crashes are going to be avoided without a central bank like the Federal Reserve which is the whole reason it was created.

Did a helluva job preventing the '29 crash, so you have a good point.

In fairness, it is because of the gold standard and the Fed's insistence on a strict monetary policy in order to defend US currency that prevented recovery for quite some time. It's not fair to blame the Federal Reserve or accuse the Fed or having no positive impact on the economy, because it wasn't actually working as intended. Instead of better circulating money throughout the economy as was the point, they tightened supply when it was needed the most, and simply mimicked the behavior of the previous decades' bank runs. When the Fed does pump money into the economy, it works much better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies