US House Redistricting: Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:13:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Utah
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Utah  (Read 16253 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

No they haven't. Summit County is currently in UT-01. Utah was actually drawn logically pre-2002, with one district for the SLC area and the rest of the state split in half.

Tooele County has a bit of a Democratic tradition and voted Democratic for President as recently as 1996, so that part is particularly harsh for someone like Matheson. I'm surprised the GOP just didn't give him a chunk of Provo or something. I suppose that part of the state has too much influence and doesn't want to be that split up.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

"Waddoups noted that "doughnut" plan divided Salt Lake City, and complained that Democrats and others had told him that keeping that city whole was a priority - so he had fought to do that in the "pizza slice" plan. He said he now releases Republicans who had been loyal to his request from that, and said Republicans may look at splitting the city now into more severe pizza plans"

Hehe.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »

What are we defining as Matheson's base? In 2002, the GOP gave him a ton of rural territory when he had only previously represented SLC. In any CD, he'll have at least a chunk of SLC plus some of the current outstate UT-2. If there is still a McCain <60% CD, I wouldn't count Matheson out. Where does Matheson best overperform the Obama numbers?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

It's pizza time!

http://www.redistrictutah.com/maps/congress-ipson-update-sumsion6a
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »

So now Matheson basically loses downtown SLC?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »

Depends on which district you think is his. Chaffetz will likely take the district that includes Alpine (grey), and Bishop the red district, so the Gold goes to Matheson. He basically keeps his half of SLC and loses the entire rest of Salt Lake County (Cottonwood Heights, Sandy, Draper) that he has now.

Bountiful is added to that district and its chock full of straight ticket LDS.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Well yeah, I was just musing because that other district looks so much like the one he last represented at first glance. Of course, he was originally elected in a purely SLC district.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »

I read somewhere that Herbert wasn't happy with this map (probably b/c he doesn't want Matheson to run for governor), is there any chance he'll veto it?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

Redistricting session postponed.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »

New compromise plan out. Brilliance.

http://www.redistrictutah.com/maps/froerer02
edtorres04
Rookie
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »

This looks to be a good map.  Mattheson could choose to challenge Bishop in this map though.  Bishop also adds Park City in addition to Eastern Salt Lake County.

Any thoughts on how safe Bishop would be from a Matheson challenge here?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

http://www.redistrictutah.com/maps/sb3002s17

These cracks keep getting better and better.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »

I don't understand the current iteration with Daggett, Duchesne, and Uintah attached to the Ogden district. There's no connection across the Wasatch, and I'm missing the political advantage, if any.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »

All the comments on that page are negative...even the ones from Republicans.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:48 AM »

Which "Republicans" would that be?

Maybe, this one:

"I am 'far right wing' republican, and am frustrated with the legislature with these maps."

In my entire life I have never meet a Republican whom characterized himself as "far right wing." I have encountered Democrats pretending to be Republicans describe themselves as such.
dpmapper
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »

I don't understand the current iteration with Daggett, Duchesne, and Uintah attached to the Ogden district. There's no connection across the Wasatch, and I'm missing the political advantage, if any.

I'm guessing it has to do with removing Moab and the Navajo from Matheson and replacing them with more of Davis County.  As a bonus, it unites the entire Wyoming border CoI!  Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Maybe, this one:

"I am 'far right wing' republican, and am frustrated with the legislature with these maps."

In my entire life I have never meet a Republican whom characterized himself as "far right wing." I have encountered Democrats pretending to be Republicans describe themselves as such.

Ahhh, its always refreshing to hear from my good friend BS Bob!

I've met Republicans who would probably characterize themselves in such a way; you shouldn't base your argument on such a provincial claim.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »

Maybe, this one:

I've met Republicans who would probably characterize themselves in such a way; you shouldn't base your argument on such a provincial claim.

Either you have meet Republicans who did characterize themselves in such a way, or you haven't.

I, personally, have never meet such a person. Nor, is it a claim very consistent with human nature. I meet people whom would consider themselves "very conservative," but, I have never meet a person whom called himself "far right wing." Generally, conservatives believe "right wing" is a slur made against conservatives because "conservative" simply doesn't carry the baggage "liberal" does.
Nichlemn

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 01:27:17 AM »

Maybe, this one:

Either you have meet Republicans who did characterize themselves in such a way, or you haven't.

I, personally, have never meet such a person. Nor, is it a claim very consistent with human nature. I meet people whom would consider themselves "very conservative," but, I have never meet a person whom called himself "far right wing." Generally, conservatives believe "right wing" is a slur made against conservatives because "conservative" simply doesn't carry the baggage "liberal" does.

It's not much that "right wing" is a slur, but "far right" certainly is. "Far right" is most commonly used to describe neo-Nazi and other white nationalist-esque groups. To call someone who is merely very conservative "far right" is to call upon that equivocation. A self-identified "very conservative" person would not describe themselves as such for that very reason.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »

Maybe, this one:

It's not much that "right wing" is a slur, but "far right" certainly is. "Far right" is most commonly used to describe neo-Nazi and other white nationalist-esque groups. To call someone who is merely very conservative "far right" is to call upon that equivocation. A self-identified "very conservative" person would not describe themselves as such for that very reason.

That is why I believe that the poster was in fact a Democrat.

In a political debate I consider it best for the Democrats to state their position, and the Republicans to state their's; the left their position, and the right their position, etc. Democrats shouldn't tell Republicans what their position is, and, visa versa.  When that Democratic poster postured as a "far right wing Republican" and when Miles spoke on behalf of Republicans, without having any evidence that any Republican in fact agreed with him, they violated what I believe ought to propriety in political discourse. Civil discourse requires civil behavior.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 02:01:59 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2011, 02:06:37 AM by MilesC56 »

Maybe, this one:

And I believe you're reading too far into this.

I sent you a nice message; surely, you'd rather be amicable than continuing to attack me.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

Roll Call came up with the numbers for the proposed map:

UT-01: McCain: 67; Bush: 76
UT-02: McCain: 58; Bush 67
UT-03: McCain: 67; Bush: 76
UT-04: McCain: 56; Bush: 66
Nichlemn

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »

Roll Call came up with the numbers for the proposed map:

UT-01: McCain: 67; Bush: 76
UT-02: McCain: 58; Bush 67
UT-03: McCain: 67; Bush: 76
UT-04: McCain: 56; Bush: 66

Seems inefficient if true. Even if they want to give Matheson his own seat to deter him from embarking on a statewide run, why not distribute PVI more equally among the three other districts?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2011, 11:58:56 PM »

Maybe, this one:

And I believe you're reading too far into this.

And, I believe that you were wrong to take his proclamation that he was "very far right" Republican at face value. His statement simply strains all credibility.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I simply have not "attacked you." I have pointed out that you are making an assumption that a certain posters was a "very right wing" Republicans simply because he claimed it. People engage in false-flag tactics on the internet all the time. There is absolutely nothing personal in my noting that. If you take it personally, that is not my fault. On the other hand, claiming that I have "attacked you" when I haven't is an attack against me.

If you wish to have "amicable" relationships with folks whom have significant policy differences from you, then, I suggest you eschew certain tactics. When you try to pass off someone whom acts like a bad caricature as an authentic Republican you should expect a reply of, "How stupid do you think I am?"
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 01:21:10 AM »

I simply have not "attacked you." I have pointed out that you are making an assumption that a certain posters was a "very right wing" Republicans simply because he claimed it. People engage in false-flag tactics on the internet all the time. There is absolutely nothing personal in my noting that. If you take it personally, that is not my fault. On the other hand, claiming that I have "attacked you" when I haven't is an attack against me.

If you wish to have "amicable" relationships with folks whom have significant policy differences from you, then, I suggest you eschew certain tactics. When you try to pass off someone whom acts like a bad caricature as an authentic Republican you should expect a reply of, "How stupid do you think I am?"

A few things:

FINE; I'll admit that my original comment was based off of a pretty cursory look at the comments.
Can you just let this die now!!? Jeez, its not like I insulted your mother or anything. (cough, cough, kinda like what you did to Nathan...)

Yes, I do take these things quite personally because I try to keep good relations with everyone on this forum. When others, chiefly yourself most of the time, are unrelentingly presumptuous and curt in their demeanor, it really bugs me.
I would put you on my ignore list, like most of the forum community has done, but I find your seemly arbitrarily-motivated rants to be somewhat amusing.

'Come to think of it,I really haven't seen you write any positive comments on this forum; it seems like all you do on here is bring others down while you practice using vocabulary words.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies