US House Redistricting: Kansas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:30:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Kansas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Kansas  (Read 27331 times)
dpmapper
« on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
« edited: December 11, 2010, 04:07:23 PM by muon2 »

Kansas:

If the GOP doesn't want to split the KC suburbs between two districts, then this is the best they can get, barring something really ugly.  Only 4 counties are split in my map; 2 of them because of Fort Riley.  

CD 3 (in purple) loses Lawrence, gains part of Leavenworth County.  I'm particularly tickled that you can make it almost an exact square and be within 263 of ideal population.  Anyway, McCain won the district 50.02 - 48.66, compared to Obama 51-48 in the previous district.  

CD 2 (green) gains Lawrence, so to compensate I put Manhattan in the 1st.  I understand that Kansans prefer to keep Ft. Leavenworth and Ft. Riley in the same district, which is why the lines are a bit erose.  I also rejiggered some of the counties in the south: CD4 (red) took Labette (55% McCain) so that CD2 could take even redder counties farther north (eg, Washington).   Couldn't get CD4 to go all the way out to Pittsburg without getting really ugly, though.  CD2 is at 54-44 McCain, slightly down from 55-43.  

CDs 1 and 4 should still be very safe for the GOP.  
dpmapper
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »

http://www.mcphersonsentinel.com/news/x404073585/County-moves-to-2nd-in-controversial-proposal?photo=0

Unclear whether this is a real proposal or just Dems being preemptive.
dpmapper
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »

So if KS-1 can't take SE Kansas, and it can't take Manhattan, and it can't take KCK, and it can't split Wichita or Topeka, then the only thing left for it to take is Lawrence, no?  The only state legislators that would annoy are Democrats, I'm going to guess.
dpmapper
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 01:29:44 PM by dpmapper »

How about this:

Leavenworth is kept with Riley, Manhattan stays in KS-2, Salina/Hutchinson stay in KS-1, Wyandotte is split between KS-3 and KS-2.  
dpmapper
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2012, 05:27:11 PM by dpmapper »

Torie, your KS-4 seems underpopulated.  Not sure one can avoid running it into Montgomery County without shuffling a lot of counties into KS-4 to compensate. 

One thing I noticed is that Leavenworth is part of the KC metro area but Douglas County (Lawrence) is not.  So these last couple maps have the benefit that they'd allow the KS GOP to say that KS-3 is entirely within the KC metro area, with the remainder of the metro area entirely within KS-2.  

If Atchison and the other Missouri River communities complain about being shoved into KS-1, here's an alternative that moves fewer counties between districts:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies