US House Redistricting: Wisconsin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:00:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Wisconsin (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Wisconsin  (Read 28805 times)
Dgov
United States

« on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »

I've been kind of puzzled by the whole recall thing too.  The first person the Unions make a TV/internet add against and go after is Luther Olson (R-14).  I was born and raised in the Wi 14th Senate District and my first political experience was campaigning for the Democratic nominee for State Senate in that District back in 1984 (before half the people on this board were actually born :->)
  That District was gerrymandered to be a solid GOP district in the early 80's and remains so today.  It is a long swath of mostly rural territory stretching from Clinonville in the northeast to Wisconsin Dells in the southwest and including strong GOP counties such as Waupaca, Waushara, Green Lake, and Marquette. 
 I find it incredibly puzzling that the unions can get off wasting money going after someone in about as safe a district as you can get.  Most people who contribute are from out of the area and don't have familiarity with the district and the fact that they are tossing their money into the wind.

Ill Ind

Well, to be honest I think the State Democrats are either trying to show they're serious about recalling EVERYONE they can, or are vastly overestimating their current level of support.  Probably a mix of both actually.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

Ryan did just fine before he became the main person behind something that is causing the GOP serious pain in far more conservative districts.

. . . Because Democrats have never tried to paint him as an extremest before.

I have (Liberal) family in his district, and from what i hear the Democrats have a better shot at dislodging Sensenbrenner than Ryan.  The man is a political maestro, and the "Ryan Medicare plan will sink the Republicans" line falls kind of flat when the June recess just passed without incidence.  Unless the Dems win like 270 seats in 2012, he'll win.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

Yeah the Ryan Medicare plan didn't cause any problems for the GOP in NY-26 obviously.

Well, i could argue about that, but that's not my point.  We just had a big congressional recess, and you guys couldn't even scoop up a few busloads of protestors to make a scene?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »

Wow, Seriously?  Wisconsin's Proposed map is one of the fairest ones.  As it stands, there will be 2 Safe D seats (2nd and 4th), 1 Likely D seat (3rd), 1 tossup (7th), 2 lean R Seats (8th and 1st), 1 likely R seat (6th) and 1 Safe R Seat (5th).  All of the districts cover relatively solid COI areas, and the Republicans could have easily have gone for a much more aggressive map.

The only significant change is that they swapped some territory between the 3rd and 7th to make the former slightly more Democratic and the latter slightly more Republican, which is hardly unprecedented or particularly unfair.

Its not like they're doing a Texas or Illinois-style map where they're closer to completely redrawing the districts for naked partisan gain.  Obey's just throwing an "I'm not longer important" fit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies