The first day of the week...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The first day of the week...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: When do you consider it?
Sunday

Monday

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: The first day of the week...  (Read 3292 times)
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »

Monday makes sense, so it's Sunday.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »

Whatever your opinion of the metric system or the proper denotation of the word "football", this question is definitely one where the Euros are on the side of the sane, since their calendars begin on Monday and they behave as if the week starts on Monday. Whereas in North America our calendars begin on Sunday but then in the rest of our thinking and behaviour, the week starts on Monday anyway.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »

^
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »

I say Sunday. But I wanted to vote Other just to be a jerk.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »

Sunday obviously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »

We're talking about a passage of time.  You wouldn't describe 12.01 pm as an "end" of the afternoon, like the end of a piece of string or something.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »

Sunday is, historically, the first day of the week. The concept of the "weekend" began with the introduction of Saturday as a day off in addition to Sunday - it has to do with the end of the work week rather than with the week as such.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »

Monday, obviously. God rested on the 7th day, which is the day we rest on, which is Sunday. Monday is also the first day of the work week.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »

Monday, obviously. God rested on the 7th day, which is the day we rest on, which is Sunday. Monday is also the first day of the work week.
ask any Jew what day is the Sabbath. also, all four Gospel have the women arrive at the empty tomb on the first day of the week. do you celebrate Easter on Monday?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »

ask any Jew what day is the Sabbath. also, all four Gospel have the women arrive at the empty tomb on the first day of the week. do you celebrate Easter on Monday?

Well, there is Easter Monday.

But the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday (it was Saturday before then, although it was praticed before then).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »

But the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday (it was Saturday before then, although it was praticed before then).

The changes made by the Catholic Church mean nothing to me.  I still believe the Sabbath is Saturday and the first day of the week is Sunday.  I apologize to my Catholic friends, but no religion or denomination can arbitrarily change a date that happened in history.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 12:29:23 AM »

The changes made by the Catholic Church mean nothing to me.  I still believe the Sabbath is Saturday and the first day of the week is Sunday.  I apologize to my Catholic friends, but no religion or denomination can arbitrarily change a date that happened in history.

So you are a Seventh Day adventist?  This was really a decision made by the majority of Christendom. There was no schism or reformation yet so there is no need to apologize to anyone.

However, religion has nothing to do with this now for me. Monday is the start of the work week and Saturday and Sunday are the weekend.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »

Honestly I thought considering it Saturday was pretty dumb, but it made more sense the more I thought about it and how it affects people trading shifts. But that only applies if you work at a place that's open 7 days a week.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »

I apologize to my Catholic friends, but no religion or denomination can arbitrarily change a date that happened in history.

Like Jesus Christ's birthday, you mean?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:53 AM »

So you are a Seventh Day adventist?  This was really a decision made by the majority of Christendom. There was no schism or reformation yet so there is no need to apologize to anyone.

However, religion has nothing to do with this now for me. Monday is the start of the work week and Saturday and Sunday are the weekend.

No, I am a Southern Baptist, I worship on the first day of the week, which is Sunday.  I don't end the week in church, I begin the week in church.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies