The Posting of Private Messages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:36:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Posting of Private Messages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Posting of Private Messages  (Read 5044 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 01:07:17 AM »

And if you didn't PM them anything embarrassing or idiotic you have nothing to worry about. Why would people be PMing stuff like that to such posters anyway?

Exactly.  Who cares?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »

Is this a say something heinous to others and throw a s*** fit when it becomes public because you want to run for office and don't want people to know you write a bunch of racist and anti-semitic posts and messages? ala Mike Assad?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 01:11:47 AM »

And if you didn't PM them anything embarrassing or idiotic you have nothing to worry about. Why would people be PMing stuff like that to such posters anyway?

Ok, maybe you didn't read what I said: we find out after the fact that some posters are "such posters"/trouble.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 01:12:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure the responsibility of being delegate does not come with the unpaid, thankless glamor job.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 01:14:41 AM »

Ok, maybe you didn't read what I said: we find out after the fact that some posters are "such posters"/trouble.

And AGAIN, who cares?  Don't send such important information to random people if you don't want it posted so intensely.  Problem solved, no need for explicitly declared rules.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:18 AM »

And AGAIN, who cares?  Don't send such important information to random people if you don't want it posted so intensely.  Problem solved, no need for explicitly declared rules.

Roll Eyes

It's not necessarily "important information." It's the point that messages are being posted when it's common courtesy to keep them private.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

Talking in circles...if it's not important, WHO CARES if it's posted?  If it's common courtesy, WHY DO WE NEED A RULE?  And you're the one rolling your eyes.  I've posted the same exact thing like ten times now...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 01:24:26 AM »

Talking in circles...if it's not important, WHO CARES if it's posted?  If it's common courtesy, WHY DO WE NEED A RULE?  And you're the one rolling your eyes.  I've posted the same exact thing like ten times now...

And I've posted the same thing eleven times now. People need to be reminded of common courtesy.

I don't care if it's important or not; they are private messages. If I wanted to talk to someone about something and have the entire forum see it, I'd post a subject. It's none of the forum's business what I say to Person X privately.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 01:27:01 AM »

Your whole argument is a bit like saying that if nobody drove cars, we wouldn't need speed limits. The rule exists because apparently people don't respect each other's privacy. If I send send someone a PM, and they post it, that's their fault, not mine.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:32 AM »

To be honest I used to kind of agree with the idea behind this sort of rule until that idiotic Atlasian "Privacy Protection Act" and someone whining that someone should be be banned for violating it (before it was any type of forum rule.) Then I thought about it and realized how dumb it is.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »

And I've posted the same thing eleven times now. People need to be reminded of common courtesy.

I don't care if it's important or not; they are private messages. If I wanted to talk to someone about something and have the entire forum see it, I'd post a subject. It's none of the forum's business what I say to Person X privately.

The same contradictory babble.  No one needs to be reminded of something that's COMMON courtesy, that's the entire definition of common courtesy.  If it's not an issue, it doesn't need to brought up so sharply.  And there's not a single situation in which I can think of it being an issue, especially when important private information is so definitively NOT involved as you have pointed out numerous times.  Could we just discuss why it matters if nothing important is involved why we need a rule if it's COMMON courtesy?  These two very simple things I've brought up have just gone completely ignored by your babbling about courtesy elevenfold now.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:25 AM »

Your whole argument is a bit like saying that if nobody drove cars, we wouldn't need speed limits. The rule exists because apparently people don't respect each other's privacy. If I send send someone a PM, and they post it, that's their fault, not mine.

Privacy to do what, tell important information they don't want shared to total strangers?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:52 AM »

I can understand that to a point.  However, if we have someone that as I said earlier basically pulls an Assad and makes a bunch of racist, anti-semitic posts, or other such nonsense (or in this case messages) I think the other posters have a right to know what kind of person we are dealing with.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:32 AM »

Imagine if a troll PMed me asking for my Social Security Number, credit card number and billing address. I replied with accurate information. Then the troll posts it and I get angry. Most people would just respond "You're an idiot and should've never given anyone that information anyway."
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »

Privacy to do what, tell important information they don't want shared to total strangers?

Just because I might tell one person something, doesn't mean I want to tell everyone about it.

Talking in circles...if it's not important, WHO CARES if it's posted?  If it's common courtesy, WHY DO WE NEED A RULE?  And you're the one rolling your eyes.  I've posted the same exact thing like ten times now...

The same contradictory babble.  No one needs to be reminded of something that's COMMON courtesy, that's the entire definition of common courtesy.  If it's not an issue, it doesn't need to brought up so sharply.  And there's not a single situation in which I can think of it being an issue, especially when important private information is so definitively NOT involved as you have pointed out numerous times.  Could we just discuss why it matters if nothing important is involved why we need a rule if it's COMMON courtesy?  These two very simple things I've brought up have just gone completely ignored by your babbling about courtesy elevenfold now.

It's SUPPOSED to be common courtesy. Unfortunately, some people have apparently decided not to engage in it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »

The same contradictory babble.  No one needs to be reminded of something that's COMMON courtesy, that's the entire definition of common courtesy.

"Common courtesy" isn't necessarily universally accepted. Not everyone has common courtesy so would you say it doesn't exist?  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh...it clearly is an issue.

What the hell is with your hostility? Probably something to do with a spoiled rotten brat not getting his way.

It's important because we have standards to protect here. If I want to say something in confidence to someone - important or not - I should be able to without worrying about it being posted.

I can understand that to a point.  However, if we have someone that as I said earlier basically pulls an Assad and makes a bunch of racist, anti-semitic posts, or other such nonsense (or in this case messages) I think the other posters have a right to know what kind of person we are dealing with.

Then tell people about the general statements and report those posts to the moderators.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »

I'm pretty sure the responsibility of being delegate does not come with the unpaid, thankless glamor job.

if you hate it so much then quit
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »

Imagine if a troll PMed me asking for my Social Security Number, credit card number and billing address. I replied with accurate information. Then the troll posts it and I get angry. Most people would just respond "You're an idiot and should've never given anyone that information anyway."

We're not talking about anything that extreme, we're talking about telling someone something confidentially and then having that confidence betrayed. Like Keystone Phil said, if I wanted to tell everyone, I would post a thread rather than PM someone.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »

We are seriously having THIS conversation AGAIN? If you don't like it you have two options: follow the rules or go away. I'm sure everyone will want to take option 1 since they stay which makes everyone happy, but oh well if you take option 2.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 01:46:38 AM »

The same contradictory babble.  No one needs to be reminded of something that's COMMON courtesy, that's the entire definition of common courtesy.

"Common courtesy" isn't necessarily universally accepted. Not everyone has common courtesy so would you say it doesn't exist?  

Uh...it clearly is an issue.

What the hell is with your hostility? Probably something to do with a spoiled rotten brat not getting his way.

It's important because we have standards to protect here. If I want to say something in confidence to someone - important or not - I should be able to without worrying about it being posted.

I can understand that to a point.  However, if we have someone that as I said earlier basically pulls an Assad and makes a bunch of racist, anti-semitic posts, or other such nonsense (or in this case messages) I think the other posters have a right to know what kind of person we are dealing with.

Then tell people about the general statements and report those posts to the moderators.

If someone  on here starts throwing around the n word the s word (for Spanish people) and the k word (for Jewish people) in a bunch of instant messages the way Assad use to do here on the board, other posters have a right to know what we are dealing with.    A moderator isn't going to do anything over private messages.

With that being said I generally agree with the common courtesy thing.  I haven't posted private messages on the board, haven't even thought about it, and although I could careless either way, I can understand why some may not want private messages posted.   However, I do think certain circumstances could call for making the board aware of what others have said (ala something similar to Assad's racist and anti-semitic rants)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 01:49:37 AM »

If someone  on here starts throwing around the n word the s word (for Spanish people) and the k word (for Jewish people) in a bunch of instant messages the way Assad use to do here on the board, other posters have a right to know what we are dealing with.    A moderator isn't going to do anything over private messages.

A moderator won't do anything about private messages...and the forum will? Post the generalities of the conversation.

I don't even understand the point of this. "Everyone, beware! There's a racist here."

If you don't plan on reporting the posts then what the hell does "warning" everyone do?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:54 AM »

We are seriously having THIS conversation AGAIN? If you don't like it you have two options: follow the rules or go away. I'm sure everyone will want to take option 1 since they stay which makes everyone happy, but oh well if you take option 2.

There's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to discuss the rules.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 01:52:35 AM »

so what triggered all this...did someone post embarrassing private messages and i missed it...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:01 AM »

I actually got some fairly amusing PMs from Robert Stark on one of his returns, I didn't post them but I did forward them to other people via PM. Is that something that would get you in trouble now? But then again that could only be found out if the other person tattles on you and posts your PM, oh the irony!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:42 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2010, 01:59:17 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

so what triggered all this...did someone post embarrassing private messages and i missed it...

Its just one more in a long line of BS bestowed upon the forum by the "lower boards", shall we say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies