Michael Moore's "Sicko" - banned in Cuba for exaggerating healthcare quality.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:55:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Michael Moore's "Sicko" - banned in Cuba for exaggerating healthcare quality.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Michael Moore's "Sicko" - banned in Cuba for exaggerating healthcare quality.  (Read 3358 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »

From that hotbed of far-right extremism, The Guardian.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

Huh, I'd think Cuba would like exaggerating there healthcare quality??
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »

Not internally.  The last thing they want is for Cubans to realize other Cubans are getting better treatment than they are.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

Not internally.  The last thing they want is for Cubans to realize other Cubans are getting better treatment than they are.

Or for that matter a few Americans. Life is all about expectations.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52:11 PM »

And?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »

Michael Moore has checked into a Miami weightloss spa.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »

Clearly this is America's fault. (somehow)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:28:53 AM »

If America would just have single-payer, Michael Moore wouldn't have had to falsely romanticize Cuban care.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »

If America would just have single-payer, Michael Moore wouldn't have had to falsely romanticize Cuban care.

True, he could have falsely romanticized American care instead.
Mavvy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.94, S: -6.87

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »

I watched this movie in my AP US Gov class a few months ago, and was shocked at the blatant misrepresentations and lies the film gave, and the fact that it was being shown in school. I mean, it relates to politics, but it's so biased. And everyone in the class was brainwashed by it. I asked my math teacher, who is Cuban, if the healthcare was truly like that in Cuba, and he said it was a bunch of bullsh**t.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »

At least it was more factual than a movie I was shown in U.S. History back when I was in high school: Gone With The Wind.  As you might expect, the teacher was also an assistant football coach.  (Note: I had some teacher/coaches who were good teachers, but this one fit the stereotype.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »

At least it was more factual than a movie I was shown in U.S. History back when I was in high school: Gone With The Wind.  As you might expect, the teacher was also an assistant football coach.  (Note: I had some teacher/coaches who were good teachers, but this one fit the stereotype.)

Did Gone With The Wind actually make a pretense of being factual, though? Tongue
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »

LOL    

The WHO ranks Cuba's health care system as the 39th best/least horrible healthcare system, and the US is at 37th.  Not exactly a stunning mandate for insurance industries.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »

LOL    

The WHO ranks Cuba's health care system as the 39th best/least horrible healthcare system, and the US is at 37th.  Not exactly a stunning mandate for insurance industries.

A ten year old list, compiled using 1997 data that in the case of Cuba was of questionable accuracy even then.  Even if it was accurate then, it's so old as to be worthless.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:07:28 AM »

LOL    

That's mostly because they used inequality and a bunch of other flawed metrics as has already been pointed out. There is a reason plenty of cubans would rather risk being shark food than live over there another day.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:27 AM »

Oh.  Whoops.

But we do average only 49th in life expectancy.  Cuba's 53rd.    This info is from the CIA World Fact Book (2010 estimates).  

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

Infant mortality rates in the US are actually worse than Cuba.  This year it's estimated that 6.14 infants out of 1000 will die within a year of exiting the womb.  In Cuba, it's 5.72.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html?countryName=Haiti&countryCode=ha&regionCode=ca&rank=18#ha

Not that I would like their health care, but I really think that the whole "free market" health care system is way overrated.  

The fact that a small, impoverished dictatorship can outrank us among even one key health statistic is ridiculous.  It really shows how much thought we put into our physical well being.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:22 AM »

The US's deficiencies being at the level of Cuba doesn't make Cuba great.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:35 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2010, 02:36:28 AM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

The US's deficiencies being at the level of Cuba doesn't make Cuba great.

Are you referring to my post?  I never said it was.  I was just saying that we wouldn't even have to make comparisons if we used our resources wisely. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 02:57:33 AM »

I support publicly funded healthcare options...but to be fair, the U.S. system is certainly not "free market healthcare". I suspect it would function somewhat more efficiently if it were.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »

Infant mortality rates in the US are actually worse than Cuba.  This year it's estimated that 6.14 infants out of 1000 will die within a year of exiting the womb.  In Cuba, it's 5.72.

Part of that is due to higher abortion and stillbirth rates in Cuba for fetuses with marginal chances of survival outside the womb.  What in the United States goes in the books as a premature birth often leading to an infant death rarely gets counted as a birth in Cuba.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »

So, apparently the State Department cable saying that Sicko was banned in Cuba was a lie. Good job, Gruniad (and, to be fair, plenty of other "news" sources): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-moore/viva-wikileaks-sicko-was_b_798586.html
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »

Thanks for the update Lief. 

But I have heard friends from France complaining that Moore got stuff about their health care system wrong too.  People wishing to learn about health care systems in other countries are better advised to watch T.R. Reid's PBS special, or better yet, read his book, than watch Moore's film.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2010, 05:46:36 PM by Lief »

Thanks for the update Lief.  

But I have heard friends from France complaining that Moore got stuff about their health care system wrong too.  People wishing to learn about health care systems in other countries are better advised to watch T.R. Reid's PBS special, or better yet, read his book, than watch Moore's film.

T.R. Reid's book is terrific and highly recommended to anyone who wants to learn more about healthcare policy. It's also a fairly easy and quick read.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »

I watched this movie in my AP US Gov class a few months ago, and was shocked at the blatant misrepresentations and lies the film gave, and the fact that it was being shown in school. I mean, it relates to politics, but it's so biased. And everyone in the class was brainwashed by it. I asked my math teacher, who is Cuban, if the healthcare was truly like that in Cuba, and he said it was a bunch of bullsh**t.

OH yeah?  Well I once asked a guy who once smoked a Cuban cigar if the healthcare in cuba was truly like that... and he said it WAS!  So you can run and tell THAT, homeboy.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »

OH yeah?  Well I once asked a guy who once smoked a Cuban cigar if the healthcare in cuba was truly like that... and he said it WAS!  So you can run and tell THAT, homeboy.

Well, I'm Cuban. Does anyone want to use me as a source?

Everyone needs a Cuban source!!! lol
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies