Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes  (Read 18956 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: December 19, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »

Nice of you to post it the map.  I actually just learned about this vote, seconds ago, when I read this thread.  I've been mostly in the closet the last couple of days, and a few other strange places, so I haven't watched much TV except for some children's movies during prime time. 

Good to know that this is all behind us.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »

Nice of you to post it the map.  I actually just learned about this vote, seconds ago, when I read this thread. I've been mostly in the closet the last couple of days, and a few other strange places, so I haven't watched much TV except for some children's movies during prime time. 

Good to know that this is all behind us.

Nice choice of words there. Tee hee Wink

They were the obvious choice.  I was in the closet much of that day.  Big walk-in closet.  I was trying to surreptitiously wrap presents. 

I think I'm in favor of the repeal, but some would say for the wrong reasons.  I think it's the egalitarian, morally correct policy to allow homosexuals serve openly.  That's obviously a naive point of view, but it's my point of view.  I can understand that some more practical minds would base their support or opposition on such considerations as unit cohesion and the possibilities for distraction and such.  I do not think that people who base their support or opposition to this policy on moral considerations have any innate ethical leverage over those who base their support or opposition upon more immediate, pragmatic considerations.  After all, the military is charged with the task of national defense, and it is therefore logical to make military policy decisions based the efficacy of that defense.  In that sense, those who support the repeal based upon egalitarianism are rather like those who oppose repeal based on theological interpretations.  Neither group is focused on the primary goal of the military.  But that's okay.  We all have priorities, and we should state them.  It's the foundation of the democratic process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies