Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:23:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work?  (Read 7067 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »

To be honest, when I'm visiting the Bad Place, I'm essentially in the exurbs.  I don't like it, but on the other hand I don't mind it. 

Its like this - the Bad Place is so bad that there isn't really much difference for an idle, reasonably well off person living in the exurbs or a better place (city center), simply because there really isn't anything very worthwhile in the entire metro area.  The entire metropolis of over two million is devoid of interest or value. 

There are only two things I find sufficiently worth having to trouble myself about in the Bad Place, when stuck there, and those are 1) Ethnic food, and 2) the obvious.  Since I don't work or have any duties or responsibilities, and I have free gas and spending money, there's really no great downside to driving for 45 minutes to get whatever it is I want.  The only real inconvenience is if I get #2 from an 'out-call', I have to rent a hotel room, something I'm loath to do, and not just because of the expense.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

Because our culture is lurching towards paranoia and isolation.  People are afraid of other people, big groups of people, and big buildings out of a fear of other people.  People have come to believe that they will be victimized by criminals or terrorists if they spend too much time out in the world.  It's a part of our culture now and you can see that in a lot of aspects of TV and movies.  Most sitcoms take place IN the house now rather than out in the town.  The city sitcom trend of the '90s is pretty much over and now (surprise) people are watching shows about terrorism and murder instead.  The people that are watching those shows and scaring themselves shitless about the world are also the libertarian "back off" types because of that fear and paranoia.

Excellent observations, and I couldn't agree more.  This negative characteristic of american society is especially noticable because here in Thailand we still have 'real life' - street life, people actually out eating amongst one another, meeting, etc, in close proximity.  Most Thai people include 'the streets are so empty, its depressing!' as one of their many criticisms from their experiences studying abroad in the Bad Place, Britain, or Australia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies