What percentage of people living in cities could easily move to suburbs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:41:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What percentage of people living in cities could easily move to suburbs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What percentage of people living in cities could easily move to suburbs?
0-10%

10-20%

20-30%

30-40%

40-50%

50-60%

60-70%

70-80%

80-90%

90-100%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: What percentage of people living in cities could easily move to suburbs?  (Read 1717 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »

I say 70-80%. Hell even I could.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »

What does the word "easily" mean here?  That you can afford it?  If so, most everyone.  For example, unlike in the old days, in most zip codes now, blacks will not get lynched in most zip codes if they move there. That was not so much the case when I was a young man. When I was a college student in Chicago, some black family moved to the west side of the demising street, putting them in Cicero, rather than Chicago. The ward boss had his people move them out that evening, with about a 1,000 hostile neighbors there to make sure the involuntary decampment went smoothly. Yes, I am not making this up.

But putting that aside, it is just an issue of tradeoffs. How many square feet do you want, at what price per square foot, what are the schools like, how long is the commute, does the ambiance, and do the amenities or lack thereof, fit in with your aesthetic and life style preferences, and so forth.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

I could afford to, but it would be so inconvenient I wouldn't.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »

There are quite a few wholly destitute people in cities that have few options. Probably more than you'd think. Same's true for rural areas as well, but most of us never see them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:03 PM »

There are quite a few wholly destitute people in cities that have few options. Probably more than you'd think. Same's true for rural areas as well, but most of us never see them.

No, I doubt there's that many and this is mostly a suburb-lover myth. Do you really think most people in Manhattan live there because they can't afford to live anywhere else?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »

No, I doubt there's that many and this is mostly a suburb-lover myth. Do you really think most people in Manhattan live there because they can't afford to live anywhere else?

Do you think Manhattan is in any way representative of most places? That's like the people who want to give millionaires tax cuts b/c omgz manhattan is expensive. And even in Manhattan there are tons of people in projects.  Sure, there are lots of people in cities who choose to live there. There are also lots of people who are poorer than you'd believe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

Do you think Manhattan is in any way representative of most places? That's like the people who want to give millionaires tax cuts b/c omgz manhattan is expensive. And even in Manhattan there are tons of people in projects.  Sure, there are lots of people in cities who choose to live there. There are also lots of people who are poorer than you'd believe.

I see them but they don't seem to be the majority.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »

I see them but they don't seem to be the majority.
Did I say they were? I said there were "quite a few," and you said no. If you don't think there are quite a few, you really haven't been paying attention.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »

There are slum suburbs in most major metro areas now. We have Compton in LA (or how about the now famous Bell, where a sizable percentage of the city government is going to jail?), Inkster in Detroit (or Hamtramack, that just went BK), Richmond and South Palo Alto in SF, and I could go on and on. It is not an issue of money per se in most cases.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »

Hamtramck doesn't really count as it's entirely surrounded by Detroit.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2010, 11:37:21 PM by Torie »

Hamtramck doesn't really count as it's entirely surrounded by Detroit.

I suspected you might catch me out on that, BRTD. Very good! Whenever you can manage to nick a lawyer, you are doing the Lord's work.  Smiley But Detroit has a bevy of non surrounded grotty suburbs. Have you ever been to that place from hell known as Romulus?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:22:16 PM »

No I've never been to metro Detroit. The worst I've to for suburbs is Brooklyn Center, which is probably worse than my neighborhood but significantly safer than the area to my immediate west.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »

What percentage of people living in suburbs could easily move to cities?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

0%. Moving anywhere is hard work.  A lot of paperwork to be filed, packing boxes, etc., etc.  No such thing as an easy move.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »

Richmond and South Palo Alto in SF

East Palo Alto. Strike two, old man.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »

Good point. Depends how you define easily. In theory, a working class white family could move to a nasty ghetto. Just isn't all that likely.  White people are definately priced out of their neighborhoods (especially if you consider the price of private school) in many cities.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »

Good point. Depends how you define easily. In theory, a working class white family could move to a nasty ghetto. Just isn't all that likely.  White people are definately priced out of their neighborhoods (especially if you consider the price of private school) in many cities.

I've never really bought that considering such neighborhoods tend to be full of slacker hipster types.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »

I've never really bought that considering such neighborhoods tend to be full of slacker hipster types.
Those slacker hispter types often have rich parents suporting them and often live 3 or four to an apartment. Doesn't work well for many people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »

Those slacker hispter types often have rich parents supporting them and often live 3 or four to an apartment. Doesn't work well for many people.

I live alone in a studio and I don't get money from my parents. My apartment is almost all studios, and I doubt most people here just live off their parents.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »

Those slacker hispter types often have rich parents supporting them and often live 3 or four to an apartment. Doesn't work well for many people.

I live alone in a studio and I don't get money from my parents. My apartment is almost all studios, and I doubt most people here just live off their parents.
I couldn't easily move into a studio. I like that I have a living room and a kitchen and a yard where I can put my dog when I don't feel like keeping an eye on her. Most people in the burbs want to live in more than one room. Especially people with families.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »

I'm glad Memphis at least reminded BRTD that all cities aren't created equal. Clean it up, BRTD. Some things are more complex than City, good- Suburbs, bad.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »

Some things are more complex than City, good- Suburbs, bad.

Not here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 02:15:44 AM by Ebowed »

I guess if I felt like wasting a lot of money on buying a car and using up gasoline all goddamn day, yeah, I'd move into the suburbs.  But no, that would not be 'easy', and I don't think it would be especially easy for most of my friends either.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »

Richmond and South Palo Alto in SF

East Palo Alto. Strike two, old man.

Being perfect all the time is just such hard work. Sad  I was hoping that my excuse would be that East Palo Alto is in fact south of Palo Alto, so it should be called South Palo Alto, and it is not my fault that the moniker folks don't know how to read a compass, but alas East Palo Alto is to the north of Palo Alto, so there goes that excuse. What do I do now? Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies