Department of Defence DADT Survey (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:04:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Department of Defence DADT Survey (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Department of Defence DADT Survey  (Read 2414 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »

One needs to look at what social classes most Marines are drawn from to understand the real issue at stake. I suspect that sixty plus percent of the lower classes anywhere would poll against gay rights.

Actually, most recruits seem to come from upper-to-middle-class backgrounds.  But, this has no impact on the intelligence of those recruits.  Believe me, I know -- wealthier kids are just as stupid as poor kids.  Maybe even more stupid.

Though, I picked up this information from something on the Heritage Foundation website...

For the military as a whole - which I have no problem accepting - or for the Marines?

Not sure where you are getting your stereotype.  The Marines would probably tend to be higher on the list  of social class when compared to the Army.  You get more people who join for the tradition and the fact that it does see more combat as a whole.  There are more rear echelons positions available in the Army and many join solely for schooling.  It is also whiter than either the Navy or Army.  IIRC, it does have the highest Hispanic population.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »

So in other words Marines do often come from at least lower-middle-class backgrounds. Which perfectly explains their relative hardheadedness on this issue versus branches which recruit from higher socioeconomic classes like, say, the Air Force. That explains it, then. Their conservatism on this issue is a natural extension of the basic conservatism of the low classes.

I dont see where it says that.  I think you are reaching somewhat with this class thing.  The Marine Corps is the youngest and by far most male service.  It is also the only service that has separate recruit training for men and women.  It is structured foremost as a combat, infantry branch.  As a young service, with less officers and a well ingrained macho tradition- you will invariably get  some anti-homosexual undercurrents- as you would in most football locker rooms.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »

The problem with your argument is that it is based on what I see as a the false premise that  it is the service of choice for the poor.  Just from my observations there are more people in the army who join just to put in their time and get their college degree. The USMC has more of a thrill seeking element- the class background on this would vary. The real cause of the numbers are structural. USMC is a young, male dominated, and combat  orientated service.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies