US House Redistricting: Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Washington
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Washington  (Read 83357 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »

I suppose. It sorta makes Seattle into a black hole though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »

I suppose. It sorta makes Seattle into a black hole though.

Evil Seattle is sucking in the good, hard-working Republicans of Eastern Washington into the black hole of liberalness. Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »

The app has been updated with 2010 census data, including racial data. It also has recent precinct boundaries, but no results. Maybe Alcon should contact Bradlee about that? Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

The app has been updated with 2010 census data, including racial data. It also has recent precinct boundaries, but no results. Maybe Alcon should contact Bradlee about that? Wink

Done Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2011, 02:58:20 AM »

So, is there any idea yet as to where the 10th CD will be? I lean towards Olympia so the capital can have its own seat. But I don't live there so I hope some f the residents will weigh in.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2011, 04:07:30 AM »

The new district could happen just about anywhere between SE Snohomish County and Longview.  Based on where the incumbents live, NE King County, Pierce County, and Thurston County are the obvious front runners.  

I am in Olympia and am hoping to be put into the 6th with the entire Olympic Peninsula.  
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »

I think the new district will be a mix of Thurston and Pierce. The 8th probably shrinks into King (or will this be the new district and Reichert gets Pierce and Thurston?), but Auburn should still be in the new district. It could be a relatively safer district for Reichert.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

Because Reichert lives in Auburn, it makes it easy to put the new district either in Pierce County or Seattle's Eastside.  Once again, it all comes down to where they pull the 150,000 or so extra people from Eastern Washington.   Geographically it makes sense using the low central Cascade passes.  Historically they have gone up the Columbia Gorge.  
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2011, 09:19:39 PM by Verily »

Here's my version of Washington on the Census numbers. WA-08 becomes lean D, WA-03 becomes lean R, new WA-10 is likely D, centered on Olympia.

Yes, Pierce County is split four ways, but the splits are not particularly egregious--Gig Harbor is appropriately put in with the Olympic Peninsula (which now is all in one district again), while the WA-03 parts of Pierce have only about 6,000 residents. (King County is of course split between five districts, but all of those splits are unavoidable.)

WA-03 has year-round road contiguity along the Columbia, from Klickitat County up to Yakima, and from Yakima into Lewis County along US-12.

Thoughts?

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »

That's almost exactly the map that I usually draw.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »

There's a cleaner way of doing WA-4 & WA-5 county-wise.  Put Okanogan and all of Adams in the 4th, and the only county split is Walla Walla, which now has its rural north in the 4th and everything else in the 5th.

As far as I can tell, without the Columbia River connection, there's no way to avoid completing slicing up the Yakima metro.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »

There's a cleaner way of doing WA-4 & WA-5 county-wise.  Put Okanogan and all of Adams in the 4th, and the only county split is Walla Walla, which now has its rural north in the 4th and everything else in the 5th.

That could work. I wanted to put the city of Walla Walla in WA-04 intentionally, though, so as to keep all of the agricultural areas with substantial Hispanic populations in one seat. (WA-04 is 32% Hispanic, WA-05 just 5%.) Could do the map that way, too, though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not sure what you mean by the bolded, but yes. Yakima is going to have to get chopped up. I came very close to not having to split the city itself but ended up having to put a couple of precincts in the city of Yakima into WA-04 as well. Might be possible to finesse it so that Yakima city is not split, though.
Kevinstat

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »

WA-03 has year-round road contiguity along the Columbia, from Klickitat County up to Yakima, and from Yakima into Lewis County along US-12.

Is WA route 131 seasonal?  It would connect Lewis County to Skamania County (and from Skamania County, Clark County) without one having to leave WA-03 or cross the Cascades twice (albiet once along the Columbia gorge) and cross the Satus Pass to boot.

If route 131 is seasonal and U.S. 12 is this being used as a cross-Cascade connector, why can't I-90 be used as such a connector again?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »

US-12 is not seasonal. WA-131 is not seasonal, but the rest of the route, through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, might be--I'm not sure. It's not a state highway there, though.

As for why this is different from the Snoqualmie Pass--reasonableness. The areas on either side of Snoqualmie Pass have nothing in common with one another, while Lewis County, Clark County and Yakima County are fairly similar. Also, tradition; tradition dictates that the crossing happens along the Columbia, as this map follows.

Edit: The following source says Forest Route 25 is seasonal. No shock. http://www.ericsroads.com/roads/nf25.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2011, 02:43:50 PM by Alcon »

By "without the Columbia River," I naturally meant "with the Columbia River," because I'm terrible.

I also agree -- None of the Snoqualmie connections I tried were anything but ridiculous, even if you accept that Cle Elum, Roslyn and Ellensburg have much to do with East King County.

That could work. I wanted to put the city of Walla Walla in WA-04 intentionally, though, so as to keep all of the agricultural areas with substantial Hispanic populations in one seat. (WA-04 is 32% Hispanic, WA-05 just 5%.) Could do the map that way, too, though.

I mostly did because the only part of Walla Walla County's agricultural areas notably more Hispanic than Walla Walla City, is Eureka, which I suppose could be included in WA-4 in lieu of something more northeastern.  I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these configurations, though.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

Thoughts?

The 3rd is brutal.    So is the 6th.  Don't be afraid to carve up Thurston County, it makes sense geographically and culturally. 
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

Yakima is going to have to get chopped up.

No it doesn't.  It shouldn't.  If geography and common sense win out, the low Central Cascade passes should be used as well as the Columbia.

Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »

why can't I-90 be used as such a connector again?

There is no law against it.  In fact it makes by far the most sense.  Kittitas County is more connected to King County than Yakima County is to any county west of the Cascades.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »

As for why this is different from the Snoqualmie Pass--reasonableness. The areas on either side of Snoqualmie Pass have nothing in common with one another, while Lewis County, Clark County and Yakima County are fairly similar.

Other way around.  Kittitas County has a significant amount of King County commuters and students from Western Washington.  There is very little in common with SW Washington and the Yakima Valley. 

Look at commuter #s, traffic #s, elevation: Snoqualmie Pass makes by far the most sense.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »

I also agree -- None of the Snoqualmie connections I tried were anything but ridiculous, even if you accept that Cle Elum, Roslyn and Ellensburg have much to do with East King County.

Actually it is easy.  Kittitas County, southern Chelan County, and the East Wenatchee Bench have enough people.  Kittitas and Wenatchee are geographically isolated themselves, and have to be placed somewhere. Growth in Kittitas and Chelan has largely driven by westsiders. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »

We had a very passionate debate of Kittitas vs. Columbia River Gorge on this thread a month or so ago. Check it out.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »

Here is a new one using the 2010 census numbers:

Statewide:

Puget Sound area:

I put the new district in the Central Cascades which pushes the 8th into rural and suburban Pierce and Thurston Counties. 

The population totals for each district range from 672,355 to 672,530.   I had to carve into Clarkston to balance the 4th and 5th, which isn't visible in the above map.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »

Why did the 8th need to go into Snohomish? Keep it within King county and put the exurban parts of Snoho in the 2nd which are in the 8th as you have drawn it, and the 1st picks up Everett and surroundings.
Sounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »

Why did the 8th need to go into Snohomish? Keep it within King county and put the exurban parts of Snoho in the 2nd which are in the 8th as you have drawn it, and the 1st picks up Everett and surroundings.

That's the new 10th.  The 8th gets pushed south towards Auburn where Reichert lives.  The 10th stretches into SE Snohomish County, home to US 2, the 2nd major route through the Cascades.  The 10th is a mountain and foothills district.   For you folks not familiar to the area, google up some pictures of Index and Leavenworth. 

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2011, 06:45:19 PM by Alcon »

^^^

Sorry Sounder.  Especially in light of the Yakima City split, I might buy the I-90 connection if it were cleaner.  But I've tried, and it seems much dirtier.  Not only are the splits ugly, but there are also a lot of them.  Also, look how many areas you've completely shifted to new CDs, even in the otherwise easy-to-manage Eastside.

Index and Leavenworth are kind of cherrypicking the most similar East/West sides of that district.  It's more like Google Bellevue and then East Wenatchee...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies