US House Redistricting: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:53:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Florida  (Read 64358 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:22 AM »

Florida legislators have admitted to destroying documents related to the redistricting lawsuit.

Also, the Democrats proposal for a fair map have been disclosed. Here are the two proposals they have, recreated in DRA.

Map A has FL-05 drop Orlando, but pick up parts of Tallahassee, while still keeping Gainesville and Ocala.

Map B is the same, except FL-05 drops Gainesville and Ocala.

Overall major changes:

-Both maps have FL-02 become unwinnable for Democrats. In 2008, Obama got less than 40% in both versions of it.
-FL-03 gets slightly less Republican in the first map, while being a 49.2% Obama '08 district in the second map, compared to 40% under current lines. Against a nut like Ted Yoho, Democrats would have a decent chance of picking this up.
-FL-10 gets +13 points more Democratic, to the point it is a 61.2% Obama '08 district. Webster would be toast. It goes from 75% white to 54% white, 27% black, and 15% hispanic.
-FL-13 picks up all of St. Petersburg, getting +4.5 points more D-friendly as a result. Any chance of Republicans beating Alex Sink here is all but lost.
-FL-16 gets a few points more Democrat. Obama got 49.8% here in 2008.
-FL-18 gets slightly more liberal, but by less than 1 point.
-FL-20 goes from plurality-black to majority-black.
-FL-26 gets 5 points more liberal, making it a much safer seat for Joe Garcia.

In short, it would trade one gerrymander for another. I'd rather FL-05 become an entirely Jacksonville-based district, than snake to Orlando or Tallahassee, and it's just an ugly map overall.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »

Looks like I'd be in FL-18. Murphy would be leagues above Frankel, though I would much prefer Carl Domino, Adam Hasner, or Ellen Andel.

Does the new FL-18 only cover the coast, or does it extend a bit beyond the intercoastal waterway? Because I live off a side canal and don't want to look across the river at FL-18 while I am stuck here with Lois Frankel as my Rep Tongue.

FL-18 doesn't extend into the coast at all, that yellow part on the coast is just a water district that can't be split in DRA. You'd probably still be in FL-22.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies