US House Redistricting: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:19:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Florida  (Read 64376 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

There seems to be a very real battle between the House and Senate on whether the bill should be faithfully executed or the GOP should just take its chances in court, in the Tampa Bay area. You'd almost think the House was under split partisan control.

This is what the Senate EDIT: the Senate Committee passed. Race stats. (I also found a document with loads of other statistics by district, but nothing political in there. Tenure, age groups, and whatnot.)

The House Committee, meanwhile, has narrowed the choice down to this, this, or this. http://censusvalidator.blob.core.windows.net/mydistrictbuilderdata/Legislative%20Plans/H000C9041.pdfHighly technical report, amend 1 to 3 or 5 at end of address for other two plans.

The FL Senate passed a pretty aggressive map today.  FL-22 and the new FL-27 are conceded.  None of the other 19 R seats gets worse than 51.5% Obama, but FL-02 could be a toss up with a Blue Dog.

It is quite a gamble because a special master COI map of Florida would be the best thing to happen for Democrats this cycle.  The state supreme court is 4D-3R and presumably has final authority over whether the map is legal.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »

It seems like every Republican map this cycle has had at least one Democratic vote for it, even serious gerrymanders like PA and OH. 

Out of curiosity, I wonder if any Republicans voted for the Democratic maps in IL or MD?  I believe the MA Dem map got Republican votes...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »

The MA map was essentially drawn at random.  They didn't even bother to gerrymander it except to create a majority-minority district in Boston.

After watching the PA and VA GOP, it's amazing to me how badly Dems played the game in CO.  They needed just a single GOP vote in one chamber of the legislature to pass whatever map they wanted.  Just agree to turn some GOP legislator's 57% Obama district into a 57% McCain district on condition that he/she votes for everything else in your maps!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies