Which state will default first?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:38:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which state will default first?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which state will default first?  (Read 4300 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »

I don't need two to survive. I work two to gain money.

Rich parents pay the bills, eh?

I have already saved money. The money loses it's value with inflation. Our currency is already far too inflated.

Compared to what?  1878?  Your reference here is meaningless.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »

It is not a recommendation of your economic system that it requires two or more jobs for a worker to survive.

Our currency is worth little more than squat.

Being concerned about the numeric value placed on 'money' is just plain silly.  "Why I remember when I could get a hamburg for a nickel, and a b**w j*b for a bottle of yoo-hoo."

I have already saved money. The money loses it's value with inflation. Our currency is already far too inflated.

What is your preferred inflation rate? A fan of deflation perhaps?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »

It is not a recommendation of your economic system that it requires two or more jobs for a worker to survive.

Our currency is worth little more than squat.

Being concerned about the numeric value placed on 'money' is just plain silly.  "Why I remember when I could get a hamburg for a nickel, and a b**w j*b for a bottle of yoo-hoo."

Just put your cash in TIPS and you'll be fine.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »

Rich parents pay the bills, eh?

Compared to what?  1878?  Your reference here is meaningless.

I pay my bills (I'm 26), and our currency is still losing value.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:33 AM »

You're young, game the system by taking out a mortgage now and paying down your debt in inflated dollars when you're older. Inflation is a transfer from old wealth-holders to young income-earners. Enjoy it, don't rue it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »

You're young, game the system by taking out a mortgage now and paying down your debt in inflated dollars when you're older. Inflation is a transfer from old wealth-holders to young income-earners. Enjoy it, don't rue it.

Yes, the idea of a fixed rate 30 year 4.5% mortgage that is issued only because the Feds will essentially buy it, is almost an orgasmic concept isn't it. Yet another government program that needs to bite the dust. I  have got two of them myself on my desert homes. Tongue  Yes, yes, it is yet another of those non means tested subsidies that is lurking out there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »

Yes, the idea of a fixed rate 30 year 4.5% mortgage that is issued only because the Feds will essentially buy it, is almost an orgasmic concept isn't it. Yet another government program that needs to bite the dust.

Actually no, it needs to be expanded.  What has failed is not redistribution or Keynesian demand-boosting, but rather unregulated neo-liberal market capitalism.  The housing market and every other market should be run by the State (indirectly of course), with an eye to sustaining maximum growth with stability and as much equity as is compatible with same.

(and actually it is largely a myth that inflation transfers wealth very much - when there is inflation assets go up in value commensurately.  The reason inflation appears to have an egalitarian effect is the full-employment/high wage aspect of Keynesianism).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies