US House Redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:23:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 135157 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2011, 06:16:01 PM by Verily »

It's still ruhlly Polish though if you hop off at Nassau Station at least.

I'm starting to work out a theory that Spanish neighborhoods get gentrified the most: LES, Park Slope, Williamsburg most notably to my untrained eye, but also probably Spanish Harlem. African-American neighborhoods less so: Harlem & Clinton Hill?

Prospect Heights. Your argument is invalid.

Actually, probably sort of true, but only at the fringes. For whatever reason, Hispanic communities have tended to be closer to the forefront of gentrification geographically, but it's not clear that it's not just coincidence. After all, South Harlem (the rectangle from 125th to CPN and Morningside to Lenox) has been gentrifying significantly faster than East Harlem.

Also, Park Slope was never Hispanic. It was Italian, then blacks started moving in in the 1960s (but were never more than 20% or so), then gentrification started in the 1970s and it became one of Brooklyn's nicest neighborhoods by 1990.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 06:14:10 PM by The Awful Truth of Loving »

When I think of working class, I don't think of the projects or slums. I'm talking more about like where Keystone Phil lives or the part of Boston in The Town (minus the bank robbers).

Also, Park Slope was never Hispanic. It was Italian, then blacks started moving in in the 1960s (but were never more than 20% or so), then gentrification started in the 1970s and it became one of Brooklyn's nicest neighborhoods by 1990.

That provides a lot of context to a certain scene in The Squid and the Whale.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Fair enough re: Prospect Heights.  And honestly it could have to do with subway commute locations and coincidence more than anything else.  

Or it could be lower crime rates and more bustling small businesses lining the streets in certain areas, I'm not really sure, I haven't done the research and I have't lived here long enough.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

After all, South Harlem (the rectangle from 125th to CPN and FDB to Lenox) has been gentrifying significantly faster than East Harlem.

True, but that could be Columbia, right?  I've never even been up there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

Well, South Park Slope at least
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

After all, South Harlem (the rectangle from 125th to CPN and FDB to Lenox) has been gentrifying significantly faster than East Harlem.

True, but that could be Columbia, right?  I've never even been up there.

I think it's more that it's the only part of Harlem without any housing projects. East Harlem is overrun with them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »

Lunar if you have not seen The Squid and the Whale yet you deserve to be evicted.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »

Well, South Park Slope at least

Oh, you mean "Greenwood Heights"? *snicker*
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »

Is that that little Black enclave in "Clinton Hell's Kitchen goddam!? I've always wondered what that was, figured it might be projects.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »

Is that that little Black enclave in "Clinton Hell's Kitchen goddam!? I've always wondered what that was, figured it might be projects.

Clinton Hill is a rapidly gentrifying formerly black neighborhood in Brooklyn, around Pratt. The blacks in Hells Kitchen are just a relic of low land values and rent control there who are slowly (or, actually, rather quickly) leaving. Unless you mean the projects near Lincoln Center, which are just over the border in the Upper West Side.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »

I've seen Velasquez before (more than once) in the fanciest restaurants in my neighborhood.  Doubt she lives here though.

Greenpoint still has its Polish parts - or so I've learned from the Polish restaurant in my area.  Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

I've seen Velasquez before (more than once) in the fanciest restaurants in my neighborhood.  Doubt she lives here though.

Well, I'm pretty sure I've ready that she's from Williamsburg, so she might well be in walking distance to the nicer restaurants around Greenpoint.

I visited a friend four or five times up by the Nassau st. station, and I was impressed by how very Polish it still was, every single bar and shop around there seemed to be Polish
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »

Well, I'm pretty sure I've ready that she's from Williamsburg, so she might well be in walking distance to the nicer restaurants around Greenpoint.

I visited a friend four or five times up by the Nassau st. station, and I was impressed by how very Polish it still was, every single bar and shop around there seemed to be Polish

Can't tell from your answer whether you think I live in Greenpoint. I don't. In fact, my answer is pretty much a dead giveaway when I live to any Brooklynite.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 09:14:55 PM by Solar »

I thought from your sentence structure you were implying you live in Greenpoint.  The only other place I can think of where there are Polish restaurants is across the way in Williamsburg
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »

Did McCain actually win the white vote in Brooklyn?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »

I thought from your sentence structure you were implying you live in Greenpoint.  The only other place I can think of where there are Polish restaurants is across the way in Williamsburg

You don't know Brooklyn well enough then...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2011, 08:13:13 AM »

Did McCain actually win the white vote in Brooklyn?
*Almost* certain he didn't.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »

You wouldn't think so. But he got just short of 20%. Brooklyn is about 37% white, 33% black, 9.5% Asian and 20% Hispanic. 20% is more than half of 37%, but when you consider he got a non-negligable percentage of the Asian vote and that the Hispanic turnout isn't as high (though certainly higher than most places as the Hispanics are mostly Puerto Rican I believe and thus all are US citizens.) it does seem unlikely. But the fact that Obama's percentage is just in the 50s itself sounds quite odd.

Of course the white vote in Brooklyn itself is so diverse the fact is only trivial, comparing the white vote in Williamsburg and Park Slope to Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst is completely pointless.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »

Well, take my districts. The white vote in the West Brooklyn district must have broken *roughly* even, perhaps tilted Democrat, and the same goes for the area in with the Staten district and presumably for the white territory marooned on the western end of the southern Black district.
And non-Hasidic whites in Williamsburg vote roughly like their counterparts in Manhattan.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/01/23/nyregion/20110123-nyc-ethnic-neighborhoods-map.html?ref=nyregion

More data about ethnicity in NYC.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

You wouldn't think so. But he got just short of 20%. Brooklyn is about 37% white, 33% black, 9.5% Asian and 20% Hispanic. 20% is more than half of 37%, but when you consider he got a non-negligable percentage of the Asian vote and that the Hispanic turnout isn't as high (though certainly higher than most places as the Hispanics are mostly Puerto Rican I believe and thus all are US citizens.) it does seem unlikely. But the fact that Obama's percentage is just in the 50s itself sounds quite odd.

Of course the white vote in Brooklyn itself is so diverse the fact is only trivial, comparing the white vote in Williamsburg and Park Slope to Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst is completely pointless.

Turnout is dreadful among black voters in Brooklyn, many of whom are in abject poverty or Caribbean immigrants (or both). And a good chunk of Brooklyn Hispanics are not Puerto Ricans. Turnout is also dreadful among Asians in Brooklyn, the majority of whom (at least in the areas of Asian concentration) are recent immigrants.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

omg is it Brooklyn Heights?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »

omg is it Brooklyn Heights?

Remember he's a lawyer, Lunar.  Smiley
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »

So, with the Chris Lee thing, I decided to do a map of upstate New York that eliminated NY-26.

Red - Tom Reed (R) lives here; 53-46 McCain, a safe Republican district.
Blue - Brian Higgins (D) gets Buffalo and Niagara Falls; it's 63-35 Obama.
Green - Louise Slaughter (D) gets nearly all of Monroe County; her old district was around 69-30 Obama, this drops it down to 59-40 Obama.
Purple - Ann Marie Buerkle (R) and probably whoever wins the special for NY-26 would go here. It takes in about half of Syracuse and stretches all the way to the Buffalo suburbs. 50-48 McCain.
Teal - Richard Hanna (R) has a district that takes in the other half of Syracuse, Oneida County, and some surrounding territory. It's 51-48 Obama, which is the same as it was before.
Grey - Bill Owens (D) gets a slightly more favorable district; it's 54-45 Obama now.
Light Purple - Paul Tonko (D) gets a slightly less favorable district, though it only drops down 1 point to 57-41 Obama.
Sky Blue - Chris Gibson (R) has a district that went 50-49 for McCain.
Yellow - The Maurice Hinchey (D) gerrymander remains; 59-39 Obama.
Magenta - Nan Hayworth (R) also gets a 50-49 McCain district.
Light Green - Nita Lowey (D) gets a safe district that takes in most of Westchester; 63-36 Obama.
Very light purple - Eliot Engel (D) has a super-safe district since it's mostly in NYC. 78-22 Obama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »

I don't think the Democrats would ever agree to screw over Syracuse like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies