Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 03, 2015, 12:10:41 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  US House Redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] Print
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 73032 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »
Ignore

anyone hear that Slaughter broke her foot? Hopefully she can serve one last term and then retire. Who would a good dem candidate be for the seat? Maybe Harry Bronson?

-1.38, -1.38
jimrtex
YaBB God
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:56 pm »
Ignore

anyone hear that Slaughter broke her foot? Hopefully she can serve one last term and then retire. Who would a good dem candidate be for the seat? Maybe Harry Bronson?
She can't run?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 03, 2012, 10:16:11 pm »
Ignore

She can't run?

With a broken foot, I'd think running would be quite difficult. Tongue

Seriously, it was time to change back to the real avatar.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 26, 2014, 11:08:38 am »
Ignore

In an idle moment, after the Pubs bagged three seats in NY in the last go round,I was wondering if it would ever be possible for the Pubs to get a majority of the House seats in NY.  They have nine, and needed fourteen, or five more. NY 2, NY-4, NY-18 are possible, and after the Pub came so close in Rochester, NY-25 is not impossible. However, that last one, NY-17, is a very steep climb indeed. So probably not. But wait a minute, if the Court had drawn that South Brooklyn seat, which it didn't, would that not it be possible then?  Should the court have drawn the seat? Was it possible to do so, hewing to the VRA (bearing in mind that Article 5 is now dead), and good redistricting principles (now I would like to think a bit older and wiser at it, and now no longer "fooled" by all this community of interest hype)? So I redrew one of my prior maps, and voila, it is. Indeed, the south Brooklyn seat would be by far the most Pub in NY, with a PVI of something like 10, believe it or not (56% McCain).

I wonder how my map would do in the little contest Muon2 is hosting for Virginia (not sure how erosity for intra-county lines is measured in that contest). I jiggled the lines on Long Island to minimize Town chops (Towns, not villages), as well as Borough chops in NYC.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:16:58 pm by Torie »Logged
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 26, 2014, 05:58:53 pm »

In an idle moment, after the Pubs bagged three seats in NY in the last go round,I was wondering if it would ever be possible for the Pubs to get a majority of the House seats in NY.  They have nine, and needed fourteen, or five more. NY 2, NY-4, NY-18 are possible, and after the Pub came so close in Rochester, NY-25 is not impossible. However, that last one, NY-17, is a very steep climb indeed. So probably not. But wait a minute, if the Court had drawn that South Brooklyn seat, which it didn't, would that not it be possible then?  Should the court have drawn the seat? Was it possible to do so, hewing to the VRA (bearing in mind that Article 5 is now dead), and good redistricting principles (now I would like to think a bit older and wiser at it, and now no longer "fooled" by all this community of interest hype)? So I redrew one of my prior maps, and voila, it is. Indeed, the south Brooklyn seat would be by far the most Pub in NY, with a PVI of something like 10, believe it or not (56% McCain).

I wonder how my map would do in the little contest Muon2 is hosting for Virginia (not sure how erosity for intra-county lines is measured in that contest). I giggled the lines on Long Island to minimize Town chops (Towns, not villages), as well as Borough chops in NYC.

Nothing strikes me as particularly unreasonable, particularly as you seem to hew to both towns and villages, which is good in my book. Within the boroughs I'd have to see how the lines match up with the official NYC community areas as that would be the natural neutral set of subunits.

As for how your keen mapping skills might fare compared to others, I can only suggest you add your thoughts on a VA redo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:25:05 pm by muon2 »Logged

I'm on my road trip to the Pac NW. Red is an overnight stay; blue is a point of interest; cyan is a stop; green is just a drive through.

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: January 08, 2015, 10:09:22 pm »
Ignore

How do you think it will change now that they've created a commission to do it?

I think it could help the GOP, since the Dems won't be able to gerrymander anymore.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.

https://www.change.org/p/lucky-brand-leonard-green-amp-partners-please-bring-back-the-classic-lucky-brand-jeans-styles-and-labels
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 09, 2015, 09:30:09 am »
Ignore

I think it could help the GOP, since the Dems won't be able to gerrymander anymore.

When did the Dems gerrymander New York other than the state assembly? Not in 2012 or in 2002, certainly.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 11, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »
Ignore

When did the Dems gerrymander New York other than the state assembly? Not in 2012 or in 2002, certainly.

Well, as a technical matter, the Dems gerrymandered in 2002 - hand in hand with the Pubs, in a rather disgusting display of incumbent protectionism, giving rise to the Slaughter barbell excrescence, and the Hinchey writhing serpentine affair. Slaughter was very sad to lose her barbell, as she whimpered about at least not getting Ithaca as a consolation prize. Turns out that she was near prescient to be worried. I am not sure the Dems have ever gerrymandered the NY CD's in a solo affair, which is most odd for such a Dem state. The Pubs have been incredibly lucky.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:31:11 pm by Torie »Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout