US House Redistricting: Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:36:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Missouri  (Read 21106 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »

Partisan move by Nixon.  Of course the map favors Republicans-- Missouri is a Republican state.  We earned our 6-3 majority in the house delegation, and our huge majorities in the state legislature in Democrat drawn districts.  It's not the legislative Republicans' fault that 48% of the states Democrat voters are packed into just 3 jurisdictions. 

but why do democrats like to segregate themselves into districts. Are they intolerant of opposing viewpoints?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

but why do democrats like to segregate themselves into districts. Are they intolerant of opposing viewpoints?

Minorities tend to live with other minorities, college kids and academia all have to live in close proximity to a university, and low income people can't afford expensive suburban real estate.

The Democrats don't have anyone else in the South.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »

Partisan move by Nixon.  Of course the map favors Republicans-- Missouri is a Republican state.  We earned our 6-3 majority in the house delegation, and our huge majorities in the state legislature in Democrat drawn districts.  It's not the legislative Republicans' fault that 48% of the states Democrat voters are packed into just 3 jurisdictions. 

The map is a mess, it connects areas that have no business being connected and unnecessarily splits counties. At least one of the seats shouldn't be a rock solid guarantee for either party.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

Minorities tend to live with other minorities, college kids and academia all have to live in close proximity to a university, and low income people can't afford expensive suburban real estate.

The Democrats don't have anyone else in the South.

Krazen makes a good point. However, Missouri is not necessarily a southern state. We've been over this before in another forum and the conclusion is that Missouri has parts of the state that are both southern/ozark and areas that are plains state/midwestern.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »

When ultra-partisan idiocy reaches a certain frequency it turns into a sort of delightful - and almost post-modern - display of a very special kind of stupidity. There's something glorious about its sheer denseness; it's like those people who, every four years, are utterly convinced that England will win the World Cup, who festoon their cars, hours and (ultimately) faces in the St George's Cross, and who suspect anyone who's just a little sceptical of being borderline traitors. I love it!
Dgov
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »

I don't see why they didn't just attach all of Jefferson county to MO-8.  It would be easy to do, and It's not like Cape Girardeau is running short on Republican voters.  Jefferson county isn't even really Democratic territory; it voted less than 51% for Obama and Bush won it in 2004.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

The scuttlebutt is (at least from one guy and his super-leet insider sources) that Jo Ann Emerson didn't want her district to take in too much territory in the St. Louis media market.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »

The scuttlebutt is (at least from one guy and his super-leet insider sources) that Jo Ann Emerson didn't want her district to take in too much territory in the St. Louis media market.

It's not her; its some dumba$$ southeastern Missouri legislators who think having 80-100k people in Jefferson County, compared to 600k people out of it, will turn MO-08 into a St. Louis based district and not a SE Missouri district.

Emerson I believe endorsed both the House and Senate maps. Doubt she cares.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 03:37:45 AM »

She probably cared, somewhat, but preferred to hide behind Luetkemeyer because he cared more.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:06 AM »

That's surprising seeing as how she lives in St. Louis with her husband who's a Democratic union member. Tongue ..and some of the district is a part of the St. Louis media market (St. Francois, Washington and Iron counties), and Ste. Genevieve County is as well.

As for Jefferson County, why don't they just carve it into two districts: have the cities/suburban Jefferson County moved into one of the St. Louis districts (pretty much everything from Crystal City north to Arnold) and then everything south of Crystal City (rural/podunk parts of the county) into MO-08? Seems like that would be less controversial.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »

That's surprising seeing as how she lives in St. Louis with her husband who's a Democratic union member. Tongue ..and some of the district is a part of the St. Louis media market (St. Francois, Washington and Iron counties), and Ste. Genevieve County is as well.

As for Jefferson County, why don't they just carve it into two districts: have the cities/suburban Jefferson County moved into one of the St. Louis districts (pretty much everything from Crystal City north to Arnold) and then everything south of Crystal City (rural/podunk parts of the county) into MO-08? Seems like that would be less controversial.
Because that would mean a seat for Russ Carnahan to run in?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »

Well, what better time to add some levity than to present my own Missouri maps! I'm sure all the 'experts' will have fun with this. Smiley

Notice the big difference here? Yes, I decided that it was high time my kin in central Missouri got their own district instead of being chopped up all the time! Naturally both Columbia and Jefferson City had to anchor it, stretching over to Sedalia as well. Once I had the cluster I wanted in the center, I moved to do other districts to get a better idea of where this new CD 04 was going to have to go. I think it turned out pretty well, honestly. But anyway, let's get the two insets for the big cities!

Now with all of this in mind, a few notes:
- I knew a district had to go and figured the old CD 03 had to bite it, although all the districts got moved at least a little bit. That actually worked out the easiest for me.
- I had only a vague idea of where the existing districts were (I did make sure the numbers matched up though) so I didn't have the option on showing me where the old boundaries were. I didn't want to be biased by that. Smiley
- No, I was not trying to get rid of either Carnahan or Akin. I paid no attention whatsoever to where the Congresscritters were located. Yes, that makes my maps DOA no matter what other flaws they have, but hell, I've never cared about keeping Congresscritters happy before, why start now?
- I was trying to create a black-majority CD 01. I came pretty close. There just aren't quite enough of them.
- I was trying to create a KC district. I pretty much got that.
- Corner districts were maintained.
- Where possible, I was trying not to split communities of interest and used geography as much as I could to keep them together. Since my knowledge here is not as great as for NM, I relied on the city/town lines somewhat.

District details:

CD 01: Blue St. Louis district. 748,655 pop, Deviation +39, 49.5% Black, 42.3% White, 3.1% Hispanic, 2.6% Asian, 2.2% Other, 0.2% Native. Minority-Majority, although the VAP is skewed toward the Whites. *shrug* Boundaries get a bit jagged because, as I said, I was trying to grab all the Blacks. For the record, the residential segregation in this area is hilarious. Cheesy

CD 02: Green St. Louis+ district. 748,579 pop, Deviation -37, 89% White, 3.7% Asian, 3.2% Black, 2.4% Hispanic, 1.5% Other, 0.2% Native. I was just wrapping this district around CD 01. Also for the record, there are some odd precincts in the whole St. Louis area. Boundaries with CD 01 jagged for reasons as stated previously. Other county splits caused by population and community of interest concerns.

CD 03: Dark Magenta NE and EC Missouri district. 748,608 pop, Deviation -8, 92.7% White, 2.7% Black, 2.0% Hispanic, 1.4% Other, 1.0% Asian, 0.2% Native. Started in the NE of course, ended up having to shoot southwards to pickup people. County splits caused by population and community of interest concerns (get used to seeing me copy and paste that, because it is true...). CD 09 basically turned into this, but with significant changes in the St. Louis area.

CD 04: Red Central Missouri district. I'm rather proud of this one, even though I'm sure the political powers-that-be would pitch a fit. Kiki 748,679 pop, Deviation +63, 87.8% White, 5.1% Black, 3.1% Hispanic, 2.0% Other, 1.6% Asian, 0.4% Native. Continuing from my explanation above, as the other districts took form it became clear that I would need to move CD 04 directly south to vacuum up people. County splits caused by population and community of interest concerns. CD 04 pretty much just moved half a district to the east.

CD 05: The Gold Kansas City district. 748,596 pop, Deviation -20, 65.7% White, 21.7% Black, 8.0% Hispanic, 2.5% Other, 1.7% Asian, 0.4% Native. I had no exact idea of the prior CD 05 boundaries, but I think I just about nailed this one. The city/town lines made me go south instead of across the river, but I'm content with how this turned out. County splits caused by population and community of interest concerns, especially that one weird precinct in CD 06 that crossed the Missouri with 109 people that was vital in getting everything under 100 Deviation.

CD 06: Teal NW and WC Missouri district. 748,568 pop, Deviation -48, 88.9% White, 3.8% Hispanic, 3.7% Black, 1.8% Other, 1.4% Asian, 0.4% Native. Started in the NW, found there wasn't nearly enough population there, gave up some eastern rural counties and swung quite a ways south, wrapping around Kansas City to pick up a lot of the old CD 04 territory down there. County splits caused by population and community of interest concerns.

CD 07: Dark Gray SW Missouri district. 748,624 pop, Deviation +8, 89.8% White, 4.3% Hispanic, 2.2% Other, 1.6% Black, 1.3% Asian, 0.9% Native. Pretty straightforward, the SW district anchored on Springfield, Joplin, and Branson. Overall grew a little bit. County splits caused by population and community of interest concerns.

CD 08: Slate Blue SE and SC Missouri district. 748,618 pop, Deviation +2, 91.8% White, 4.3% Black, 1.6% Hispanic, 1.4% Other, 0.5% Asian, 0.4% Native. Started in the SE, expanded almost to its old boundaries, but lost a few counties to three other districts. The major news, of course, is its move up the Missouri River into a lot of the old CD 03's territory. This had to do with population, honestly - it had to expand, and something needed to sweep up the old southern parts of CD 03. And yes, the county splits were caused by population and community of interest concerns.

I have no idea about the political leanings of this and that other than the obvious bits about the two urban districts voting Democrat and the corner districts voting Republican (I think...) and all that. If anyone wants to figure out the new CD 04's leanings, please post. Kiki

Enjoy this while the politicals argue...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »

WMS, isn't it against forum rules for you to provide insight on the other 49 states? Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »

opebo should draw the maps for Missouri. The law should be that he draws a map and it automatically is adopted.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/05/nixon-has-his-c.php

A veto on a later date would have put much more pressure on state House Republicans, who sources say are just one vote shy of being able to override the veto. Instead, Nixon made sure they would have ample time to pressure members.

Democrats close to the process say that the two Democrats who survive the Republican gerrymander, Reps. William Lacy Clay of St. Louis and Emanuel Cleaver of Kansas City, are both pleased with the map and are likely to push their allies in the statehouse who originally voted against the map to vote for the veto override. The few Republicans who opposed the map because it splits up St. Louis's suburbs are expected to come back to the Republican fold.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »

Why wouldn't these Clay/Cleaver allies have voted for the map in the first place?

In what universe is a map drawn that doesn't make Clay and Cleaver comfortable?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »

Why wouldn't these Clay/Cleaver allies have voted for the map in the first place?

In what universe is a map drawn that doesn't make Clay and Cleaver comfortable?

The theory is that Cleaver doesn't want east Jackson County, which is why all the maps proposed (including the Democrats ones) keep the odd 5th district. Most plausible explanation I suppose.

As to your first question, well, 4 of them did. Have to go through the motions for the donors if National Journal is correct. Nixon could have sat on the map; instead he sent it back to be overridden.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »

Overridden.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/mo-house-overrides-governors-redistricting-veto

The Missouri House has voted to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto on a proposal to redraw the state's congressional districts.

The House overrode the veto Wednesday by a vote of 109-44.

Clay and Cleaver come through in the clutch to clean out Carnahan.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »

Ok, wow, I didn't believe you, but here we are.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »

Overridden.

htp://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/mo-house-overrides-governors-redistricting-veto

The Missouri House has voted to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto on a proposal to redraw the state's congressional districts.

The House overrode the veto Wednesday by a vote of 109-44.

Clay and Cleaver come through in the clutch to clean out Carnahan.

It must be a very painful day to be a Democrat. Your own members sold out your side. That must really suck!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 12:08:23 PM by krazen1211 »

It must be a very painful day to be a Democrat. Your own members sold out your side. That must really suck!

Nah, just a painful day to be a Carnahan. Pretty sure everyone else knew the fix was in.

Shrinking cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis need to stop population flight from their cities or shut up. Sorry, you shouldn't get 2 Congressional seats when you don't even have the population for 1....
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 04:46:03 PM by krazen1211 »

http://midwestdemocracyproject.org/blogs/entries/breaking-house-overrides-nixon-veto-redistricting-map/

That final “yes” vote turned out to be Rep. Jonas Hughes, the Kansas City Democrat who has had perhaps the wildest legislative session in recent memory.

He cast the deciding vote on Wednesday morning despite an intense lobbying effort on the House floor by fellow Democrats. Afterward, with tears streaming down his face and staining the shoulder of his suitcoat, he retreated to the members-only lounge behind the chamber, refusing to meet with reporters.

In a brief exchange, he said only that he voted yes “Because my congressman asked me to.”

The new fantastic four. Looks like the GOP is going to be giving them nice offices on the 3rd floor.

Edit: Senate just overrode 28-6.

freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »

i hate this map. Is there some excuse someone can find in it to take it to the DOJ?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

i hate this map. Is there some excuse someone can find in it to take it to the DOJ?

Probably not, it doesn't violate the VRA (that Black-pluralty district is already as black as it could realistically be anyway and the 5th is a black-opportunity district at least), and "Being a partisan dick" isn't DOJ worthy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/05/04/lawmakers-override-governors-veto-congressional-redistricting-map-date-may-4-2011/

Rep. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis City, said the four Democratic votes, all of which came from black members of the caucus, should come as a sign that black Democrats deserve more recognition from their party. Nasheed's district is represented by the other African-American Democratic U.S. representative, William Lacy Clay.

"For years, African-Americans have been taken for granted within the Democratic party, and at some point African-Americans should understand that their vote counts and they deserve more from the Democratic party," Nasheed said. "At the end of the day we are in lock step with them, we vote 99.9 percent Democrat, but there is no return on the vote."

Zing!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies